Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Introductions! New Members Post Here

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 251 52 53 54 55 56 Next

danyaalmusic wrote:

Hi everyone! My name is Danyaal and I'm a newer artist living in New York City with my Strat and Princeton Reverb amp!

I just recorded my first two original surf instrumentals and I was looking around for an online community of cool people when I found this place Smile

I'm super excited to get to know everyone and dive deeper into the amazing subculture of surf music and while also hopefully getting to play live more throughout 2023 Smile

Welcome)

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

New Single is out!

https://waikikimakaki.bandcamp.com/album/rhino-blues-full-contact-surf-single

Waikiki Makaki

https://linktr.ee/waikikimakaki

Lost Diver

https://lostdiver.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/vitaly-yakushin

Hello Danyaal, welcome to SG101. You are in a good location for surf music. You have other bands around like the Tarantinos NYC, and the monthly surf music shows at Otto's Shrunken Head, plus you have the North East Surf Music Alliance (NESMA) with all of their band members throughout the North East. Add that to the help from everyone here at SG101 and you can go for a really deep dive!

Patrick

Just joined this forum today but have been a lurker for a while. I am 68 and have been playing since 1967. I am self-taught and learned by endlessly listening to record albums in my bedroom growing up in the 60’s and 70’s. It was ridiculously inefficient to have to continuously pick up the record player needle and repeat the riff that I was trying to learn-over and over! I worshipped The Ventures at that time. Their records were so much fun to learn. There was no tab back then, there were no other kids or adults that I could get tips from. There certainly was no video. Our black and white TV got 3 channels and the only music was on The Ed Sullivan Show or Lawrence Welk. Now I can go on YouTube and instantly learn any song or riff-with tabs! Surf guitar was the first “style” that I really learned. Like most players, I eventually figured out the Pentatonic blues scale, blues and rock improvisation, and ultimately I took off. 55 years later, I am back to sitting in my basement playing The Bel-Airs and The Astronauts. I love this forum because I can read about so many other guitar players out there who had a similar life experience. Thank you for Surfguitar 101.

Welcome home!

Happy Sunsets!

Welcome to the forum, tOSUrfer!

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Hi tOSUrfer, Welcome to the forum. I enjoyed reading your background story. There's a lot of enjoyable reading here. Have fun.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

Hi everyone!
I've been reading the forums for years, but finally joined in. There's a lot of knowledge here, and I really appreciate it!
My favorite surf/surf-inspired music is Link Wray, the Dead Kennedys, Man or Astroman, the Ventures, Dick Dale and Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet.

I dunno - not good at introducing myself, heheh

Hey Grotesque, welcome to SG101! I see from your photo that you are a guitarist. Do you currently play in any bands (surf or otherwise)? Also, from which section of our planet do you hail?

Patrick

Thanks for the welcome!
My avatar is a picture of the guitarist for the Dead Kennedys, East Bay Ray. I do play the guitar though - figured we all do here!

I'm from central Texas
:wave:
Padraig wrote:

Hey Grotesque, welcome to SG101! I see from your photo that you are a guitarist. Do you currently play in any bands (surf or otherwise)? Also, from which section of our planet do you hail?

That's great! I'm a bass guitarist from the DFW area. Although I lived in San Francisco during the heyday of the Dead Kennedys, I was into other styles of music so your avatar photo escaped me.

Do you go to the surf shows down in Austin or San Antonio?

Patrick

Hello, friends!

My name is Matthew. I'm new to the forum; having found this group doing a Google search for surf music.

My first experience with surf music was in the early- to mid-90s when Man... or Astroman? was at the peak of their popularity. I had walked into Eastside Records (Tempe, AZ) and the owner said I "had" to hear this band that was like, "Dick Dale meets the Avengers!" At the time, I had no idea what that meant, but his enthusiasm was infectious so I spent a little of my college-student money on a slick, new MOAM? CD. Saw them in concert a couple of times and enjoyed learning about the different artists in the genre.

About a year ago, I was looking for some instrumental music to occupy my soul during a particularly dull season of work. After a few Dick Dale and MOAM? searches on YouTube, the algorithm "introduced" me to the wild world of Daikaiju. Saw them play a show in Denver last year and although I felt like one of the older fans in the crowd, I had a blast. My interest in surf music was rekindled.

Since then, I've had a good time listening to a whole host of bands I'd missed in the 90s as well as some of the more recent artists.

From this forum, I'm hoping to learn about new (to me) bands/musicians as well as any shows to attend. I do like tangibles, so if you have any CDs (or vinyl) you'd like to sell, please let me know.

For this forum, I'd be willing to help if you want to play a show in the Denver area. (I'm a complete neophyte in this realm but would be willing to help however I could.)

Also, I've been pondering starting a record label to help bands spread their music to all of their adoring fans. (More on that later though...)

Thanks for reading.

Warm regards,
Matthew

Matthew
Purchase Issue 1
Colorado Instrumental Fanzine Instagram
Colorado Instrumental Fanzine FB Friends
Colorado Instrumental Fanzine FB Page
Email: Matthew_e_clark_6@hotmail.com

Hello everyone! After thirty years of being a country singer/acoustic guitar player, I am dusting off my electric skills to try my hand at surf guitar, something I dabbled at as a teenager (I am a lifelong Beach Boys fan). I was inspired by The Surfrajettes, and started listening to a lot of instrumental surf music. I now play a Tagima TW 530 (Strat style) guitar, named "Shermy". I am hoping to find other musicians to play this fun music with! I am in Jefferson County, Pennsylvania. I also happen to be a Methodist Pastor. Blessings! Michael B. Coats

Michael B. Coats

Welcome Matthew and Michael to SG101! You'll find bands, live gig ads, and plenty of individual musicians and fans with which to share your surf dreams and musical desires. It's a great bunch of folks willing to help!

Patrick

Welcome to SG101, Michael and Matthew. What Patrick said is true, all of it.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Thanks, Patrick!
Thanks, Noel!
-Matthew

Matthew
Purchase Issue 1
Colorado Instrumental Fanzine Instagram
Colorado Instrumental Fanzine FB Friends
Colorado Instrumental Fanzine FB Page
Email: Matthew_e_clark_6@hotmail.com

Hello everyone. I'm a new member! I play bass in a surf instrumental band called Shoreline Dreamers. My bandmate MantaMike is already a member and suggested I join. I'm really looking forward to delving deep into the forum and learning more from you all.

Over the last 20 years I've played in various garage, frat and beat bands. Instrumental music is one of my favourite types of music and I'm really pleased I'm finally playing in an instrumental group with three of my best friends.

My favourite "surf" groups are the Welsh band Y Niwl, Los Straitjackets, Man or Astroman, my bandmates old band Mantawrays, Los Pataconas and Satan's Pilgrims.

Shoreline Dreamers

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023 16:27:16

Welcome Louie, I was a fan of Y Niwl too, caught them the one time they came through San Francisco. They had a very unique approach to surf music.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Welcome to SG101, Louis!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Greetings surf people, my name is grackle and i'm into garage, spooky surf, blues etc. Recently got back into music after a long and strange hiatus. I sang and played harp in a garage band as a teenager and later played lap steel in a folksy type band. As for guitars I got a couple of old danos and a kawai which are patiently teaching me how to play them.

thanks!

welcome to our site!!!! Danos have their own unique character that I love in my Baritone.

grackle wrote:

Greetings surf people, my name is grackle and i'm into garage, spooky surf, blues etc. Recently got back into music after a long and strange hiatus. I sang and played harp in a garage band as a teenager and later played lap steel in a folksy type band. As for guitars I got a couple of old danos and a kawai which are patiently teaching me how to play them.

thanks!

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Goto Page: Previous 1 251 52 53 54 55 56 Next