Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Variac suggested for 62 Fender Showman

Page 1 of 1

Dropped my 62 showman head off at my amp tech who suggested we change out a couple caps. Of course I’ll keep these components in a bag but I hate having to change these original components.

one thing he suggested is using a variac with the head. Is this necessary? Does anyone else use a variac with their vintage heads?

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 16:05:10

I now know why they call you the mysterious Tqi. That was a great reply and does make me feel a lot better. What a great analogy. I replaced them with the best that I can. Just worried about tone and future value of it.

what about the variac? This dude is an old schooler and I didn’t know if a variac was a necessity or overkill.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023 16:14:16

Simply because I can, I warm up the amps slowly, taking about eight or 10 seconds to get up to full voltage. Then I just flip the variac off and turn the dial back down to zero, all the switches in the amp are left on. I guess I do it just to be nice to the old capacitors and the amp's old switches. (Also with a '62 Showman btw!) I use an Amp Maniac.

Daniel Deathtide

N0_Camping4U wrote:

Dropped my 62 showman head off at my amp tech who suggested we change out a couple caps. Of course I’ll keep these components in a bag but I hate having to change these original components.

one thing he suggested is using a variac with the head. Is this necessary? Does anyone else use a variac with their vintage heads?

Here’s another take.

AC current in the US is not what it used to be. 112-117V wasn’t uncommon ‘at the tap’ (outlets in your home or venue) many moons ago. I regularly measure 125-127+ at home and regular spots around town these days.

Sure, you can just plug in and play at those levels. Some may even appreciate the ‘hot’ vibe it creates.

To follow the car analogy, doing so will just cook/burn the oil quicker so that 3-5k oil change (or 5-7-10k on synthetic) will need to be changed at or before 3k miles, not necessarily based on miles driven (play hours), but given the wear on tubes and possibly other components where the circuit just isn’t designed to run that hot. You will eventually hear and feel the amp just isn’t sounding or playing the same anymore. Volume, tone, quietness. Any or all will change.

Can you do that? Sure. Should you?…. Different folks, different strokes.

I prefer nice power tubes biased ‘just so’ per their own capacity. In turn that means one amp runs sweet at 116 volts, another at 119 volts, an other at 120 volts on the nose.

To do so reliably at home, at the rehearsal spot or the various places we play means extra kit. For me, it’s a Variac. Some rave about old units, which may well be warranted. I’ve gone the cheap route with the basic Chinese made red ones - with and without a built in meter. I’ve learned not to trust the built in meter as measuring with a multi-meter proves readings otherwise. That also means ignore the numbers around the dial. They appear to be readings relative to the line Voltage coming in. Think of it as a % of what is coming in rather than an absolute reading. A hot line will run hotter than the numbers shown. A ‘cold’ line (i.e. less than 120 volts in the US) will be less. And yes, going for the voltage starved EVH Brown Sound (~90 volts as I understand it) also has different than ‘normal’ wear implications.

My advice if you don’t wanna leave wear or premature need for ‘an Oil Change’ or ‘tire rotations’ to chance… get a Variac (with sufficient wattage capacity) and a basic multi-meter to check and set your line Voltage.

I’ve had great luck (touch wood!) running some NOS Tung-Sol power tubes in my Gomez El Sonido and Gomez Surfer for several years at many venues and locations with line voltages ranging from about 116 to 127 and never missed a beat. The Variac is the equalizer and balance point to make each you amp play exactly where they want to be. A fine tuned power feed to each amp is a glorious thing.

Like I said, just another take on the topic at hand. YMMV.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

I have a different take on this. A variac can be used to set the voltage anywhere you want it, within the limits of its voltage capability. People use them differently.

Probably the most common use of a variac in rock guitar is to set the voltage significantly lower than the standard supply voltage. Back in the day, Eddie Van Halen used this as part of his formula to achieve his 'brown sound'. I agree that it sounded great, but tube amps are not designed to use line voltages < 100VAC, and that can definitely cause problems with an amp. I think there are better and safer ways to achieve that type of sound.

Another use, outlined above, is to correct for line voltage errors. The issue with this, in some situations, is that incoming line voltage may or not be stable. With a pure (open-loop, non-voltage-regulating) variac, there is no regulation of the output voltage if the input voltage changes.

For me, the more typical problem with line voltage is that it is low. For example, playing on an outdoor stage with power supplied amateurishly by running a long extension cord to the stage, there is frequently significant voltage drop over the cable. And such supplies rarely if ever have sufficient capacity for a full band. In some smaller (e.g., dive bar) venues, the electrical service is not exactly up to snuff either, and heavy loads on the supply can cause the voltage to sag significantly. I routinely carry a volt-ohm-milliammeter, and in some places, this can get pretty bad. For example, when the bass player hits a loud note with an 800-1200 watt amp, the voltage can drop 10-20 volts - I've seen this not that infrequently. When that happens, my tube amp will generally not blow up, but sounds like it's pharting.

I just want my line voltage to be solid around 120VAC. My solution for all this is to use a rack-mounted voltage regulator. I use a Furman AR-1215 voltage regulator, which does a good job at regulating the voltage to approximately 120VAC. It will keep the voltage within a pretty close tolerance of 120VAC (I forget the exact spec) for any supply voltage within about 95-130VAC. For the typical swings of a few volts, it does a great job. However, it has really saved my butt plenty of times with really bad (generally low) line voltages. That unit is not produced anymore, but there are other comparable units out there. They are not exactly cheap, nor are they light. But a good voltage regulator really does work well to give a solid line voltage in most situations.

And BTW - I'm not talking about a so-called 'power conditioner'. That is a whole 'nuther kettle of fish, and does not regulate the line voltage. Some come with meters on the front panel. Assuming the meter works, it just shows you that the line voltage is wrong, but does nothing about it.

The Delverados - surf, punk, trash, twang - Facebook
Chicken Tractor Deluxe - hardcore Americana - Facebook and Website
The Telegrassers - semi-electric bluegrass/Americana - Facebook

This post may be neither here nor there, but i thought I would add some input based on a discovery I've had since picking up a piece of kit from d'addario called the Power Cable Plus. It's basically a replacement IEC cable but with an accessory plug. So essentially, a Y cable.

My initial reasons for this were twofold. One, to cut cable clutter and two, to just have a more robust line for the amp and reverb unit. I should also note that I modified my 6g15 (reissue) to use a better and also very short power cable. Using that d'addario cable has been fantastic as far as cleanliness goes.

But one odd side effect I've noticed that I did not expect at all,was that my tone has been identical no matter where I'm plugged in. It's totally bizarre. And to be honest,i actually didn't particularly like the tone at first because it sounded,I dunno...hifi? But it could definitely have just been placebo. Nonetheless,I've gotten so used to it and it's pretty crazy that I get zero tonal differences whether at home or at the old bar built back in the 50s that usually felt like my amp was starving for power at.

Anyway, just 0.02. These cables have been getting clearanced out at a lot of places so if your (modern) amp has an IEC, I can definitely recommend this particular cable or maybe even something similar if only for the clutter reduction. I only use a Twin and the Reissue, so for guys like me it's perfect. I would definitely be using a Variac if I had some vintage amp that I wanted to preserve tho.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023 01:38:50

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 16:05:02

Page 1 of 1