Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
118 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Zoom Multistomp - Table of Effect 'Real World' Alternatives

Page 1 of 1

Hi everyone - This is my first post here.

I've been following the forum since finding an excellent thread on the pros and (not so many) cons of the potent little Zoom MS-50g multi-effect pedal and its siblings. That thread included the excellent CrumblSurf surf guitar sound effects patch which is still a favourite of mine.

The thread was a great help to me when researching people's assessments of the various Zoom effects as part of a personal project to determine what real world devices are represented by the MultiStomp family of effects.

I thought maybe some Zoom enthusiasts here might appreciate the fruits of this research or perhaps even offer some alternative suggestions? I'd be particularly interested to hear from anyone who has been able to make direct comparisons between the Zoom effects and their real world counterparts so as to get an idea how effective they are (the rating column on my spreadsheet is based on such reports).

The project is still work in progress so the spreadsheet can be quite skronky with lots links and popup notes but the phone version is a bit calmer. It includes things like links to pedal information as well as a few spotify playlists I maintain that highlight a particular effect; classic tracks, iconic riffs, that sort of thing.

There's also a column for the gear featured in the Rocksmith2014 guitar game/trainer. It was seeing the similarities between the in-game effects and the Zoom that got me nerding into all this pedal history.

Note that wherever I have not been able to determine an exact pedal match I've opted instead to suggest the most iconic or pioneering representative of that effect type.

I thought since it's been such a fun and educational project to research
Maybe someone here will find it useful too.

Phone/tablet friendly version

Clunky original version (with research notes)

Looks like an interesting endeavor. A lot of progress has been made in modeling reverb, and I have used DSP-based reverb pedals for some time now, and have to say that they are better than I would have imagined possible.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Page 1 of 1