Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
166 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
113 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
19 hours ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
19 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fender Jaguar into 6G2 Princeton amp!

Page 1 of 1

Since there was a previous topic on pairing a Strat with a Rumble bass amp, I thought I would chime in on what I have found to be an awesome pairing: a Jaguar through a 6G2 Princeton circuit amp.

I recently built my own 6G2 amp, keeping quite close to the original circuit (plus typical tweaks for safety, longevity, etc.), and it's currently fitted with vintage tubes and a vintage Oxford 12T6 (12" 8 Ohm speaker). I love the overall sound of it and the fullness and chime it has, and it sounds good with all of my guitars. But when I play my vintage '67 Jaguar through it, it just shines - it's like the perfect amp for a Jaguar to sound like a Jaguar. All pickup combinations sound awesome.

Of course, the amp lacks reverb, so I play it through my Surfybear (home built using the board they used to sell), and it sounds amazing. Overall, the combination of guitar and amp is pretty magical to my ears, as if they were made for each other. And considering the Jaguar was introduced in 1962 and the 6G2 Princeton in 1961, it makes sense that Fender was testing out the new guitar with the new generation of amps. Later, as they moved to black panel amps with more of a mid scoop, I expect the rather bright nature of the Jaguar became emphasized with those amps and probably turned some players away from the Jaguar.

So overall, this pairing is superb, and I haven't played through any other blonde/brown/early 60s circuit amps, but I expect some have similar results.

Man, i imagine that sounds amazing.

I have a Winfield Tremor, which is quite similar to a 6G2 circuit. Tonight, I plugged my recently acquired Squier Jaguar —

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

My current rig is just this setup, a 66 Jag into a 62 Princeton, via a Boss DD-20 and a Surfy Bear classic.

Sonic bliss

D

Page 1 of 1