Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Question about the so called Drip Switches

Page 1 of 1

I know there are two versions out there, one by Alameda and one by Surfybear. Are they essentially the same things, circuit-wise?

I have a homemade enclosure that I use for switching my reverb tank on and off, but I want to turn it into one of these types of switches, as that particular enclosure is made to fit just right on my pedalboard. Also, they're pretty hard to find so if it's easy enough, I was hoping to just build one.

I have heard that they're just on/off switches with a potentiometer and a resistor to ground. Does that sound right? If someone has one of these, would they mind sharing the schematics or even the values of the pot and resistor (s),etc? How about a pic? Ok, that may be asking too much

There's a few videos I've found of people who have made their own testing them, but when asked how to do it, they never freaking reply! Lol

Felix, I'm the designer of the "so called" Drip Switch / SurfyDrip. It took a fair amount of experimentation to develop the circuit, simple as it may seem.

Have you tried to contact SurfyIndustries about the pedal availability? I'm fairly certain you haven't tried to contact me.

Since you've apparently already got an idea of the components, I recommend you take the time to figure out the appropriate component values yourself. Examine and make sense of the Fender Reverb circuit and go from there like I did. It's one thing to try to reproduce circuits from defunct companies, it's another when you could reach out to the people who designed it to build you one instead of ripping it off.

I'm sorry you are offended, I didn't mean to do that. I was mostly just wondering if it really is as simple as those who have made their own drip switches, so-named as a generic term by most. Not necessarily yours, although you probably deserve that credit.

Since it sounds like your pedal is more complex, then no I'm not looking to "rip you off". If it was something super simple as some have said, then yeah I might make one myself as they do, seeing as how it's worth saving nearly a hundred bucks on.

I understand the plight of the pedal builders out there who have had their circuits copied and made a mockery of their hard labor. I'm on the fence about those guys because on the one hand, yeah it's not right. But in the other hand, they do allow players to get their hands on things that they'd otherwise never be able to because of money or availability, etc.

In your case, I'm sorry that people have made their own switches although I am pretty certain they're not as sophisticated as yours. Theirs just seem very basic. But now that I know that, I absolutely would love to buy one of your proper versions. And I actually did contact you about it about 8 or 9 months ago. Or maybe I talked with someone else... My thing was if the pedal could be put into a micro enclosure, like a mini pedal without bells and whistles if needed (LEDs, etc).I was told no and was also told that the lead time on them was over a month. Otherwise I definitely would have bought one right then.

And tbh, I was apparently misinformed recently by another surfer that you didn't even make them anymore! So, hopefully you see why I was even trying to ask these questions to begin with.

I appreciate your response! Should you make a simpler version in the future like the one I've seen in your prototype, I'm all over it!

Felix, no problem, I see your point, and my previous post was more testy than necessary. I'm honored that my pedal name is now the generic name for this type of design.

I built the first round of the surfy drips, same circuit as I used in the original drip switch. As part of the deal with Surfy, I don't sell Drip Switches while Surfy is selling them. That's probably why they said I don't make them anymore.

As for builders protecting their designs, there are some who cover their circuits with epoxy for just this reason. I know amp builders and pickup builders who do so. I've thought about doing this with my pickup designs, but I don't because it makes repair impossible. Unfortunately it also makes them easier to reverse engineer.

The conversation about the pedal sounds familiar, so it was probably me. If you forgo an LED, you only need to have room for the jacks and potentiometer.

If Surfy does not have or will not have any more in stock, drop me a PM and I'll help you out. You'll just have to write "mel is awesome, kind, and rather handsome" on the outside of the enclosure. ;)

LOL, you got it Mel! I'll write whatever you'd like on the enclosure.

I'm so glad you responded and gave me all this information. I'll definitely see what Surfy says about stock and production going forward. Honestly, had I known the whole situation I would have just contacted you again directly. I was just under this assumption that I basically had to either wait for a used one to show up and pray I could rehouse it into something that would fit to my liking, or build a janky version of one. I would much rather pay for a quality pedal than attempt to duplicate one on my own.

Much appreciated Mel, take care!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023 22:17:43

Felix, I just saw that you left a comment on the drip switch prototype video I made some time ago. Sorry, I never saw it. I’m happy that you found Mel directly. Good luck with your project.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

I have a Surfy Bear "SurfyDrip Switch" (blemish units are $50, IIRC)...I had zero idea when I ordered it that it had the LED indicator. For my needs, I cannot imagine not having that indicator so it was totally a welcomed bonus.
Just like the old MXR and EHX pedals not having an indicator ("well, it's pretty obvious when it is on or off, right?, duh!") but having those visual indicators is more a logistical necessity than luxury when I am performing. I notch down the reverb mix if I am playing a tune with lots of echo but then I need to reset everything for trad surf for the next tune, etc.

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Frankly, I can't imagine any performing surf guitarist not having one

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Surfybear must be out of stock - I bought one off their website last year with no trouble. Works great, was a fantastic idea!

--
Project: MAYHEM by Hypersonic Secret now available!

If you live in the US, we do have some b-stock on our site, surfyindustries.com. We hope to have a new batch of perfect ones ready soon, but the b-stock ones have only some small paint scratches on one side.

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023 21:19:27

Wish I had that switch end 90s,early 00s when I played the guitar. That thing is genius.

www.LosVenturas.be

FWIW to SurfyDrip fans, those B-stock scratches that Ted mentions are likely from me being a putz while building them, so in some way, you're getting a properly reliced piece of gear which you normally would have to pay a premium for! ;)

Ok, I’m intrigued enough by this conversation (and other material) that I just bought one of the blem ones. Let’s go tripping!

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

Tele295 wrote:

Ok, I’m intrigued enough by this conversation (and other material) that I just bought one of the blem ones. Let’s go tripping!

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

Page 1 of 1