Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fender Super-Sonic 22 head & 2 x 12 cabinet for surf sound?

Page 1 of 1

When I was a teenager, I was really into listening to surf music. Now, in my forties, I have been bitten by the surf bug again. I am looking to purchase a decent amp for surf guitar sometime in the next year or so. I was wondering if the Fender Super-Sonic 22 and its matching 2 x 12 cabinet might be a good choice? I have read that the Fender Super-Sonic 60 had a fairly convincing surf sound. But, I haven’t been able to find anything on the Fender Super-Sonic 22. Any input on the Fender Super-Sonic 22 as a surf amp would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 15:59:25

I was thinking that the 22 might be a viable option as it is a tube amp with a closed back speaker cabinet (I prefer the closed back sound). And, the amp seems to be a bit of a “Swiss Army Knife” in that it is able to cover a lot of different sonic ground. I am just wondering if it has a lot of clean headroom? And, if its clean sound sounds good for surf? I would be sticking a Fender tube reverb in front of the amp.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023 18:17:32

Unless you are playing very large venues, 22 watts should do the trick. The only caveat would be it the negative feedback loop has too large of a resistor value, which would lower headroom. I have a ‘68 Custom Deluxe Reverb which had deliberately lowered headroom, but by adding a second negative feedback resistor, of the same value, in parallel, the headroom was restored.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Thanks for the info. If I played a large venue, I would just mic the cab.

MelodiousThunk wrote:

Thanks for the info. If I played a large venue, I would just mic the cab.

A man after my own heart. I tend to use amps in the 5 - 15 watt range, and let the PA do the rest.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

If you haven't played through one yet, be sure to do so before buying it. I had one - albeit a 1x12 combo - and found it overly bright no matter what guitar I used or what pickups it had in it. Like running the treble on 2 bright. I had it modded to change out some caps and let more of the bass frequencies through, and that helped, but I was still regularly running the treble controls on 3-4 to control the tone.

IMO you'd do better to look for any other amp. I really hated the one I had. A lot. In the last 25-30 years, it's the only amp I ever sold, and I practically gave it away just to get it out of my sight.

--
Project: MAYHEM by Hypersonic Secret now available!

I don’t know of any 22’s that are local. So, I would make sure that I would be able to return it. I most likely won’t be pulling the trigger on anything for quite some time. I have also been toying with the idea of another Quilter. I have owned two Mach 2 combos in the past. I am thinking that the new Mach 3 or the Steelaire might be good options.

I think Surfer Joe uses a Quilter Tone Block 202 for touring. If I had the scratch that would be my next amp.

I'm not sure what model he had when I saw him in October in Nashville, but it was definitely a Quilter.

futureboy wrote:

I think Surfer Joe uses a Quilter Tone Block 202 for touring. If I had the scratch that would be my next amp.

--
Project: MAYHEM by Hypersonic Secret now available!

I could a 202 being used as a surf amp. They get stay very clean, and sound good at high volumes. The Mach 3 just seems like it would be a better deal.

The Supersonic 22 would even come with built in Reverb… maybe a Surfy Pan fits it - in case the stock one isn‘t drippy enough? Smile
I can only really commment on the old 60 Watt version of it (no Reverb but great punchy Bassman tones - and the Vibrolux sounds are sooo lush (if only there wasn‘t such a nasty volume drop between the two modes) - oh and these cabs are great indeed! At least I was very happy with it for the last 14 years… (if you should end up with… let‘s say a handbuilt Bassman clone - these cabs are still worth pursuing!)

so the 22 might be the Deluxe Reverb version of it) - clean headroom might be an issue indeed. Another version to increase it - is changing the preamp tube for a 12AY7 - this really helped mine to get the volumes under control.

…I really wished Fender would come along with the 63 Custom Reverb - Blonde/Oxblood version at this year‘s NAMM - basically like the Supersonic - but with two clean channels, a surfy reverb and the harmonic trem (no high gain channel) - and in a few different „sizes“.

TENTACULA: Garage-Psych-Heavy-Surf-Rock
Tentacula @ Bandcamp Tentacula @ Instagram Tentacula @ Facebook my gear collection @ instagram

Page 1 of 1