Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Useful tool for learning a song

Page 1 of 1

I was talking to Gellert of The Fintastics about how he makes backing tracks. We didn't get into detail but he said he starts with some artificial intelligence software for splitting a song into vocals, bass, drums and guitars.  I'd never heard of such a thing, so I Googled it. 

Turns out there are lots of web sites that do this, most for a nominal fee, and usually with a free trial. I tried a few of them with a couple of vocal and instrumental songs.  Some sites worked better than others and some songs split up better than others. Overall, though, it's pretty impressive.

These sites seem to make a serviceable track for karaoke, and maybe for instrumentals, although the rhythm and lead guitars end up in one track.  The drum tracks can be pretty good and might be a better start for a backing track than something like Hydrogen. 

The reason for this post, though, is that I found the individual instrument tracks to be really helpful for learning a song.  In some songs the bass and rhythm guitars are hard to hear, at least for me, and these tracks help.  I ran Link Wray's Rumble through vocalremover.org/splitter-ai, and the bass track was easy to follow.

Anyone else use such AI software?

If I'd stop buying old guitars to fix, I might actually learn to play.
Bringing instruments back to life since 2013.

Long time lurker just getting back into the surf music scene.

It was Gellert's post that turned me on to this tech, and I have just started to look into it a bit more.

From what little I have uncovered just yet, it look like some of these sites may be using a piece of software called Spleeter. It is open source, but looks to be very low level and has a bit of a learning curve.

Like you, I have found some sites work better the others, and yes, most seem to blend all the guitars onto one track.

I'm debating on if I want to get into the guts of Spleeter, or just keep trying to find a site or standalone program (there does seem to be a few) that will work better for what I'm trying to extract - i.e. the guitar tracks.

D

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023 16:06:52

dhodgeh wrote:

Long time lurker just getting back into the surf music scene.

It was Gellert's post that turned me on to this tech, and I have just started to look into it a bit more.

From what little I have uncovered just yet, it look like some of these sites may be using a piece of software called Spleeter. It is open source, but looks to be very low level and has a bit of a learning curve.

Like you, I have found some sites work better the others, and yes, most seem to blend all the guitars onto one track.

I'm debating on if I want to get into the guts of Spleeter, or just keep trying to find a site or standalone program (there does seem to be a few) that will work better for what I'm trying to extract - i.e. the guitar tracks.

D

I got Spleeter going on my computer--not too hard to do. (PM me if you want to know what I did.) For the song I used it worked OK, but vocalremover.org/splitter-ai did a better job. There's another stand-alone program I'll try soon.

This thread hasn't generated much interested, but I'll finish it off by saying that I also tried 'demucs,' which was easy to install and use. Instructions are at https://github.com/facebookresearch/demucs.

In the end, I found vocalremover.org/splitter-ai, spleeter and demucs worked pretty well. If I had to choose one, I'd say demucs, but it was not uniformly best with the songs I tested.

Can we share songs? I'm interested in this, but not totally computer savvy enough to do it myself.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Sonichris wrote:

Can we share songs? I'm interested in this, but not totally computer savvy enough to do it myself.

Sure. Let me know a song, and I'll split it for you. You can then let me know what you think of it.

Page 1 of 1