Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Any thoughts on the Surfy Industries Blossom Point?

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

I suggested that another user over at the Gretsch-Talk forum look into this pedal for a specific application, and he loved it. I was wondering if some of the members here could share their impressions of the pedal. I’ve never so much as seen one, so all I have to go on are YouTube demos.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Following this.

I just got one to go along with my Quilter Tone Block 202. This is my new rig to replace my Gomez Surfer that I have in France at the moment. The Gomez is such an awesome amp that my expectations are high !

I only had one band practice with the Blossom point but it definitely makes a big difference in the sound. I found it does what is advertised, i.e. emulating the sound of a Brownface amplifier pushed at high volume. It changes the color of the tone in that direction (especially as the Quilter has more of a Blackface Fender sound), and it adds some compression, making the overall sound more exciting and powerful.

I liked it a lot, although I'll need more time playing with this new rig to see if I can live without my Gomez. I plan on making a demo video one of these days if I find the time.

Yannick

Lead Guitar in Blackball Bandits : https://blackballbandits.bandcamp.com/
Solo project : https://thechollasurf.bandcamp.com/releases

The_Cholla wrote:

I just got one to go along with my Quilter Tone Block 202. This is my new rig to replace my Gomez Surfer that I have in France at the moment. The Gomez is such an awesome amp that my expectations are high !

I only had one band practice with the Blossom point but it definitely makes a big difference in the sound. I found it does what is advertised, i.e. emulating the sound of a Brownface amplifier pushed at high volume. It changes the color of the tone in that direction (especially as the Quilter has more of a Blackface Fender sound), and it adds some compression, making the overall sound more exciting and powerful.

I liked it a lot, although I'll need more time playing with this new rig to see if I can live without my Gomez. I plan on making a demo video one of these days if I find the time.

Thanks for the information. I may pull the trigger on one, soon. It depends upon some variables, to whit, my projected tax refund and the state of my propane tank. Another brutal Arizona winter. The temperature isn’t so bad, but the propane is a killer. Smile

What would happen if you use one with a brownface showman at full volume? Over compress?

Has anyone tried? You know, for science!

josheboy wrote:

What would happen if you use one with a brownface showman at full volume? Over compress?

You’d pop out sometime around the Civil War. Smile You’re probably right, it might be too compressed.

Just bought mine. It will be here later this week. Further bulletins to come.

MasterPhez wrote:

Just bought mine. It will be here later this week. Further bulletins to come.

I look forward to your impressions.

josheboy wrote:

I do it occasionally on my 6G14 replica, here are my thoughts. When you use the Brownfacer pedal with the amp at lower volumes, it gives you more of that urgent sound which would only be present at a higher volume. I am probably not explaining it well, but I hope that makes sense.

When you crank it loud, it does sound slightly compressed, but I actually like it! I don't use the Brownfacer pedal every time, but I always use a bit of a clean boost.

My new amp sounds so good, I sold my '65 Bandmaster to a regular on this forum. I can never go back to a blackface sound. Maybe I'll make a video one day, and let you guys hear it for yourself. Big Grin

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022 14:33:38

That makes sense, SixString. I’ll probably buy one, sooner or later. I’m riding out tax season and a couple of other money events. Once that dust has settled, I’ll probably pick one up.

Ok, finally had the chance to try mine out. I really like it. It’s a bit hard to describe, but it helps drive my Quilter not quite to where it distorts, but it definitely gives the sound some body.

MasterPhez wrote:

Ok, finally had the chance to try mine out. I really like it. It’s a bit hard to describe, but it helps drive my Quilter not quite to where it distorts, but it definitely gives the sound some body.

Thanks for the feedback. You mention that it give the sound some body. Are you thinking in terms of midrange boost, or is it something else? I know that talking about sound can be like trying to describe color to a blind person, but any thoughts are valuable.

I recommended that one of my friends over at Gretsch-Talk look into one of these and he ordered one at first sight. It’s interesting, because without knowing that this pedal existed, he used the term “bloom point” to describe what he was looking for, which triggered my recommendation.

In my case, I rarely use overdrive, but I love that sound just at the boundary between clean and breakup. When I first joined this forum, over 14 years ago, someone here suggested that I listen to Freddie King’s Hideaway, for a good example of the Brownface Showman sound. That was perfect. I’m unlikely to ever buy an actual Showman. My Twin has probably been powered up twice in the last five years, and most of our gigs are through a PA, so I have little use for a large amp, these days.

The next question would be how a Blossom Point would interact with various amps. I have a number of amps, including a Winfield Cyclone (think early AC-15), a Winfield Tremor (think ‘62 Princeton) and a Winfield Elizabeth (think Blackface Pro Reverb). All three sound good, but the Tremor is probably the best Surf amp of the three. All three have different front end, with the Tremor being a low-gain 12AX7 based preamp, the Cyclone being an EF-86, pentode based circuit and the Elizabeth being a higher gain 12AX7 preamp. Obviously, each of these would handle this pedal differently. For once in my life, I’m not hurrying.

Last edited: Feb 05, 2022 23:09:48

Would this pedal be unnecessary for a humble Blues Jr?

I'm looking for a pre-amp that can offer a grindy low-gain dirt tone. I've mainly been looking at DOD 250 circuit (mainly due to 60 cycle hum videos!), but also things like the Hudson Broadcast, which I tried in the past and really liked so might try that again. I LOVE surfy industries pedals and am really tempted by the Blossom Point though... any thoughts? Uh-Oh

Snufkino wrote:

Would this pedal be unnecessary for a humble Blues Jr?

I'm looking for a pre-amp that can offer a grindy low-gain dirt tone. I've mainly been looking at DOD 250 circuit (mainly due to 60 cycle hum videos!), but also things like the Hudson Broadcast, which I tried in the past and really liked so might try that again. I LOVE surfy industries pedals and am really tempted by the Blossom Point though... any thoughts? Uh-Oh

I don’t have any hands on experience with the Blossom Point, but my impression is that it’s not anything like a DOD 250, but is designed to emulate the sound of a Showman that is cranked enough to sing, but not be broken up.

And now, I have hands on experience with the Blossom Point.

It’s a subtle effect, but a very good effect. Basically, I see it as a subtle compressor, with in input attenuator, a level control (basically a clean preamp) and the presence control, which serves to adapt the pedal to the timbre of various guitars, and playing situations. Overall, I see it as an excellent piece of gear.

I ask Björn about the Limiter pot inside.
With that trimmer you can adjust the threshold of the limiter.
Clockwise is more compression.

RobinsonCrusoe wrote:

I ask Björn about the Limiter pot inside.
With that trimmer you can adjust the threshold of the limiter.
Clockwise is more compression.

That’s good information. I won’t be changing mine, it’s perfect as is, but one never knows what the future might hold.

I picked one up based on what I saw on 60 Cycle Hum (the episode where he installs a Surfypan). Alone in my cage, it sounds fantastic, and really gives some body and depth to my tone - can't wait to try it out at a gig.

Bango Rilla!

DiPintos, Fenders and Reverb (oh, my!)

The GO-GO Rillas
Bandcamp | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | TikTok | Threads: thegogorillas

Bango_Rilla wrote:

I picked one up based on what I saw on 60 Cycle Hum (the episode where he installs a Surfypan). Alone in my cage, it sounds fantastic, and really gives some body and depth to my tone - can't wait to try it out at a gig.

It’s one of the coolest things I’ve ever used. It’s great for Surf, but it also works well for Country, and the subtle sounds Larry Carlton employed in some of his Donald Fagan material.

For me, it’s an always on pedal.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next