Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Jaguar HH conversion to Single Coils

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 15:42:46

Tqi wrote:

No, nononono. I'm all about Silver Sparkle!

The only thing I have there is a Vaporizer. Here's the source for the rest:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GuitarAmps/comments/x5q510/one_amp_one_guitar_one_drink_one/

Tqi you have thing against surf green now? Or maybe Silver Sparkle?
I appreciate your comments & jokes too... to a point... and its things like this that make me wonder ...borderline ... Thread Hijack

But it's all good fun.

I really enjoyed following this thread as you completed your mods.
Looks like you ended up with the perfect break angle of the strings over the bridge. We always talk about the more common problems associated with too shallow a break angle, but too high brings its own a set of problems.
Now I have an even worse case of Jag GAS.

Surfadelphia wrote:

I really enjoyed following this thread as you completed your mods.
Looks like you ended up with the perfect break angle of the strings over the bridge. We always talk about the more common problems associated with too shallow a break angle, but too high brings its own a set of problems.
Now I have an even worse case of Jag GAS.**

Hey Thanks Surfadelphia!
Was it you that gave me the original tail stop dimension of a standard Jag?
This one has the tail moved forward but only 20mm (about 3/4")
This is enough to make a difference tho. These 10-46 strings are firmly seated on the bridge, no slipping.

I did some more tone testing and still have the conclusion that the rhythm circuit is too dark. So I ordered a full compliment of the exact 3 capacitors that are specified for the 62' Jaguar. 2 are on tone pots and the other on the strangle switch.

2 caps I used were as factory issued for the HH setup and I do think there will be a slight difference for the single coils.
For the rhythm circuit, I had used an unrecognizable cap, so that's the most I expect to change.
It all sounds pretty twangy awesome now tho, and its a completely different experience than the HH setup.

To a great extent, the dark tone of the rhythm circuit is down to the low value (50k) of the tone pot and not necessarily the cap value used. If you want it a bit brighter, you'd probably have more luck changing that to a 100k or 250k pot. On the other hand, I like how big of a difference there is in that circuit versus the normal one - it works for gnarly distorted bluesy sounds (like Jon Spencer for example). And that's one of the things I love about Jaguars - you can go from that bright, cutting sound of the bridge pickup to the dark, wooly sound of the neck pickup in the rhythm circuit.

edwardsand wrote:

To a great extent, the dark tone of the rhythm circuit is down to the low value (50k) of the tone pot and not necessarily the cap value used. If you want it a bit brighter, you'd probably have more luck changing that to a 100k or 250k pot. On the other hand, I like how big of a difference there is in that circuit versus the normal one - it works for gnarly distorted bluesy sounds (like Jon Spencer for example). And that's one of the things I love about Jaguars - you can go from that bright, cutting sound of the bridge pickup to the dark, wooly sound of the neck pickup in the rhythm circuit.

Definitely. A 50K tone pot would definitely cut some highs.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

edwardsand wrote:

To a great extent, the dark tone of the rhythm circuit is down to the low value (50k) of the tone pot and not necessarily the cap value used. If you want it a bit brighter, you'd probably have more luck changing that to a 100k or 250k pot. On the other hand, I like how big of a difference there is in that circuit versus the normal one - it works for gnarly distorted bluesy sounds (like Jon Spencer for example). And that's one of the things I love about Jaguars - you can go from that bright, cutting sound of the bridge pickup to the dark, wooly sound of the neck pickup in the rhythm circuit.**

Thanks Edwardsand!
I am learning more about this Jaguar wiring all the time.

The 62' wiring shows caps of a low value on both Pots, Main and Rhythm.
They are both equal.
But it's the introduction of the 56k capacitor on the Main which 'flavors' the tone brighter.
My issue is that I did not use the proper cap on Rhythm Pot and instead used something very high which causes the tone to be much darker than design intended.
I believe if I follow the exact wiring specs I will end up with the darker tone in Rhythm brighter in Main.
Caps on the way!
As I mentioned earlier this was a small oversight where I just used what Cap I had for the Rhythm.
I do not want to swap out Pots as these are 1Meg and per original 62'.
So getting the Caps correct will resolve this issue.
Right now I can tell the Rhythm Pot is wrong because when I roll off the high tone the sound completely is gone at about 30%.
Whereas the Main tone sweep is great range from bright to low.

FINALLY Finished Up!
I got the new capacitors in, was a Fender package of all 3 required, 2 tones and the Strangle.
I meter tested everything.
Turns out the Main circuit was spot on as I had assembled, and no changes were required.
However, the Rhythm circuit was the problem area. The problematic unknown capacitor I had used measured off but was also not stable.
Swapped out for the new Fender spec.
Once assembled and tested audio I hear good tone sweep, but the Rhythm tone pot was seriously scratchy and cutting in and out at the low end.
I may have mentioned that the effort to shield the guitar cavities is great but that it may cause unwanted grounding to occur.
My bad, as the wire packing of the Rhythm circuit was getting grounded out!Doh!!
After next assembly and bench sound check using the Positive Grid mini amp (really cool sound) the Rhythm circuit operated perfectly with tone range from high to low even at very low volume!
And I do confirm that the high tone on Main is much higher,than the highest setting on Rhythm.
And the lowest setting on Rhythm is lower than the lowest on Main.
I will attribute this difference directly to the 56k resistor in the Main circuit.
What an awesome design!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022 18:18:22

I would think that 56k resistor probably explains a lot about the sound of the Jaguar. I had always wondered why the rhythm circuit on my ‘66 RI was so much darker, now I know. Congrats on solving that problem.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

synchro wrote:

I would think that 56k resistor probably explains a lot about the sound of the Jaguar. I had always wondered why the rhythm circuit on my ‘66 RI was so much darker, now I know. Congrats on solving that problem.**

Yes Synchro!
The volume and tone potentiometers are 1Meg and that's the highest you see for any single coil use. But they are original to Fender spec for the Jaguar. So the use of the Rhythm circuit without any added resistance makes it darker by default.
The Main circuit gets knocked down by use of the 56k resistor and is decidedly much brighter.
The Strangle switch is another unique gem where the use of a capacitor gets introduced to the Main circuit and cuts out some highs. When not engaged it actually allows a darker tone through, then by its use knocking down lows and in turn brightens up. It is very slight but with more volume and pick attack is much more noticeable.

I am just glad I stuck to the 62' wiring correct and it does sound amazing with so many ranges of tone possible.

I got to post a sound bite check soon!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4