Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink I just bought a Mosrite from Japan... and how I fixed its tuning issue.

Page 1 of 1

I bought what I believe is a 25-year-old KuroKumo-made Mosrite Ventures "Super Custom '65" from a Reverb seller in Tokyo, and received it a couple of days ago. The guitar had clearly been neglected for many years and was not cleaned up before it was listed for sale. Its strings were rusty (one was missing) and two of the pickups' leads were disconnected and needed to be re-soldered (and not disclosed in the listing). The price was lower than average, so I decided to not make a stink about it and proceeded instead to fix up the guitar.

Nasty, rusty strings, haphazardly wrapped on the tuning posts.

After wiping it down, oiling the fretboard and re-soldering the leads, I strung it with some fresh strings and did a set-up. The truss rod needed to be tightened and the action needed to be lowered, but it proved to be a fine player. The hot-wound pickups have the same wonderful growl heard on the classic mid '60s Ventures albums.

The only problem was it would not stay in tune. I tried applying some graphite (pencil lead) to the metal string guide, but that didn't help much.

I did some searching on the Mosrite Forum and came upon a post from a while back suggesting that the vibrato pivot could be a source of tuning instability, so I decided to take it apart and have a look.

I removed the entire tailpiece and, using an allen wrench, I unscrewed the two shoulder bolt barrels that enables the string block/arm assembly to pivote. The barrels roll on a ring of ball bearings inside the base, which you can just about see in the photo below.

The barrels were covered in dried-out, sticky grease, so it seemed that I was on the right path. I cleaned out all of the old sticky goop from both the barrels and the ball bearings with isopropyl, and I could see that the surface of the barrels was galled from the ball bearings.

I got out an electric drill and carefully tightened the thread-end of the barrels into the chuck, and ran them over some 400-grit sandpaper to polish the surface as smooth as a baby's bottom. I packed the ball bearings inside the tailpiece base with some black moly grease and reassembled everything.

Galled barrel on the left, polished barrel on the right.

After getting the guitar restrung and the strings settled in again, I was delighted to find that the guitar was no longer constantly going out of tune. The vibrato now operates with extremely smooth movement, with virtually no resistance, and I can now feel comfortable using it on stage!

Thee Original Beachniks...surf music from the caves of old Cape Cod!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022 20:22:44

Good troubleshooting & solution! Enjoyed the story and hope you enjoy the guitar Smile

--
Project: MAYHEM by Hypersonic Secret now available!

This merits a Lord Wellfleet seal of approval! Well done, laddie! Big Grin

LordWellfleet wrote:

Thank you, m'lord! Very Happy

I figured that the metal string guide probably had some debris from the rusty old strings in the slots, so I cleaned that out last night with the 300-grit paper as well.

beatcomber wrote:

LordWellfleet wrote:

Thank you, m'lord! Very Happy

chiba wrote:

Good troubleshooting & solution! Enjoyed the story and hope you enjoy the guitar Smile

Thank you!

I figured that the metal string guide probably had some debris from the rusty old strings in the slots, so I cleaned that out last night with the 300-grit paper as well.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022 08:29:18

Beatcomber,
Been down this road a few times myself with Japanese Mosrites. You did all the correct corrective steps.
Enjoy your re-born guitar.
J Mo'

JohnnyMosrite wrote:

Beatcomber,
Been down this road a few times myself with Japanese Mosrites. You did all the correct corrective steps.
Enjoy your re-born guitar.
J Mo'

Excellent, thank you! I am open to any and all advice.

I was still getting more string slippage than I wanted (especially when compared to my rock-solid Hallmark), so I took a few more steps. Keep in mind that this guitar is likely 25-30 years old and had obviously been neglected for a long time by the time I received it.

The first thing I did was buff the slots on the metal string guide with some 400-grit sandpaper, and then cleaned them with some mineral spirits. I figured that the rusty old strings it came to me with likely left some debris in there, not to mention dust from sitting around for years.

The next thing I did, which seems to have made a substantial difference, was I removed the entire bridge assembly and soaked it in mineral spirits and spun the rollers around. I then rolled it upsidedown on a paper towel and saw tons of black crap fall out. I repeated it a few times, until the rollers stopped shedding dirt. I then shot the rollers with dry lubricant (from a can of graphite spray), which made a huge mess but got the rollers moving nice and smoothly. I had to use many Q-Tips dipped in mineral spirits to clean the grey graphite off of the rest of the bridge.

I'm pleased to report that the tuning stability is WAAAY better now, even when going nutz on the wangdangdoodle bar. I will next try to carefully fill the string guide slots with a little of the dry lubricant (using a toothpick?) and call it a day.

I'm extremely pleased with the results!

Last edited: Nov 03, 2022 09:22:03

This was fascinating and great to read!

insectsurfer wrote:

This was fascinating and great to read!

Thanks, David! The Insect Surfers are a great band!

I just now made another tweak. I noticed that the bridge rocks to and fro when the whammy is used, which seems superfluous because of the roller saddles. I suspected it was yet another cause of tuning instability.

My solution was to put a couple of very thin metal washers on the bridge posts, enough to get the string height where I wanted it, and then wrenched down the bridge posts. Besides stabilizing the bridge, it also helps couple the bridge to the base.

I've only so far had a couple of minutes during my lunch break to try it out, but it seems to have made a positive difference in sustain (less rattle and other unwanted resonances), vibrato smoothness, and of course tuning stability. I'll follow up to confirm after I spend more time with it.

Last edited: Nov 08, 2022 13:50:49

Yep, the washers seem to have cured the last bit of tuning instability I was wrestling with.

Hopefully you can see them in the attached image (the metal washers are black).

Page 1 of 1