Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The String thread

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 225 26 27 28 29

Daniel,
Chromes sound how they should, right out of the package, pyramids don't.
For that reason, in the past, Dave Wronski changed his chromes every gig..
They tend to sound dull quite quickly, at least compared to a set of thomastik's...
Cheers, Andy

www.LosVenturas.be

DeathTide wrote:

Waitamimute! You use flats for that drip?!!

Of course! All of our Surfites recordings have flatwound stringed guitars for both lead and rhythm. (I even played a Pyramid flats stringed Burns 12-string electric for rhythm on one song, haha).

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

LosVenturas wrote:

Daniel,
Chromes sound how they should, right out of the package, pyramids don't.
For that reason, in the past, Dave Wronski changed his chromes every gig..
They tend to sound dull quite quickly, at least compared to a set of thomastik's...
Cheers, Andy

Hey Andy thanks for that awesome tip! I do vastly prefer dull strings, but that’s only in reference to rounds. I’ll have to grab some Pyramids. I got a round wound set of Pyramids but they were way too bright.

Daniel Deathtide

Klas wrote:

DeathTide wrote:

Waitamimute! You use flats for that drip?!!

Of course! All of our Surfites recordings have flatwound stringed guitars for both lead and rhythm. (I even played a Pyramid flats stringed Burns 12-string electric for rhythm on one song, haha).

Well sir, I am now convinced that flats are the way to go… Thanks!

P.S. What strings do you use?

Daniel Deathtide

Pyramid Gold .013-.056 for the Jaguar and .011-.048 for the Jazzmaster.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas wrote:

Pyramid Gold .013-.056 for the Jaguar and .011-.048 for the Jazzmaster.

Thank you so much! Ordering now, those are the same gauges I’ve been using so hopefully the set won’t need too much tweaking.

UPDATE - Strung up the Pyramid Golds 13 - 56 and they sound pretty good. I do miss some of that - I don’t know what you’d call it - “raspiness” of rounds. Not fret buzz but a kind of overtone / harmonic something that the rounds have. They feel good, not too floppy, and it’s nice to hear the fundamental notes so much clearer. Jag was set up for 13-56 rounds and that setup seems to have transferred to the Pyramids.

But without reverb they really don’t sound very good. “Flat” and no pun is intended, they sound dull and lifeless clean. I do very much like how the unwound B and E are not as shrill as other brands. I’m going to mess around with pickup heights today.

I also grabbed some Chromes that are 13-56, yet all the middle strings are thinner. Maybe those will have a little more “round wound-iness” to them. But first I’m going to try and bond with the Pyramids.

This is why I loved the Zebras so much, they are a perfect balance of fundamental and overtones. Except the 56 low E is always too thuddy compared to the rest of the strings.

The drips were easier to get, but still nowhere as nice as Spiratones or Surfittes.

Daniel Deathtide

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022 11:36:37

Don't forget that you'll have to play new Pyramid Golds for at least a couple of hours before they start to sound good.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

I had the Pyramid Gold .13-.56 flats installed on my Jag, and I really like them. To my ears, they sound great, and they feel nice as well. I can't wait to hear how they sound after I break them in a bit.

I do have one complaint about them, and you guys are going to think I am nuts. I don't like the way light reflects off of the strings. When I am playing toward the light, it produces a horrible glare. I cannot see the dots on my fretboard, and it throws me off. I am probably the only person this affects, but it will definitely take some getting used to.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Last edited: Mar 02, 2022 14:05:48

I’m liking the 13 - 56 Pyramid Golds, but I can’t get that perfect drip. Oh well.

Daniel Deathtide

I have been using Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys 10-46 BUT THEN...
I just put a set of D'Addario Flatwounds on wunna my guitars and Shazam! I like it... I'm always aware that we hear what we wanna hear but I think these are just a bit different. They also feel nice to play... no zoop zoop zoop as you slide up and down the strings.

Last edited: Jun 06, 2022 23:52:58

I have been using some 13-56 flats on my Jaguar for a few months, and they are not for me. I love DR pure nickel strings, but they don’t make them in thirteens. Could someone please recommend some 13-56 rounds that are close to the DR’s? Thanks for your help.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022 18:54:57

Mathygreen,
Are you talking about flats or rounds here?
Cheers,
Andy

www.LosVenturas.be

Oh dude my av65 strat (which I never play and should sell) is SO DANG TOUGH to bend downward. All five springs and their screws in almost all the way. I like the bridge flat on those and you're right, which 13s you need Superman strength to bend downward. Solution? Offsets are the solution I went with.

Daniel Deathtide

There are string brands out there which feel/are more flexible than others.
Then, there might be differences between rounds and flats. Try some. Trial and error..
Cheers, Andy

www.LosVenturas.be

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 15:34:42

Wow! Wtf?!!

Daniel Deathtide

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 15:34:21

deleted message

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023 19:18:00

Goto Page: Previous 1 225 26 27 28 29