Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Trying to find a guitar that can do a bit of everything, including surf trem

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

If you want a guitar that can do everything, check out the Squier Vintage Modified series Strat or Tele.

Example: Link

I have a VM Tele (Jerry Donahue in bridge, Antiquity Surfer in middle, and mini humbucker in the neck). It can do everything from Surf to Black Sabbath. Granted, the stock pickups were fine. I just enjoy ripping out stock pickups and trying new combinations of things.

I want to hear Caravan with a drum solo.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022 00:28:21

I just bought a new Squier Jaguar vibe 70s. Are they known to have some fret rattle right out of the box? Sorry for the newbie question. I'm very new to guitars in general. Will this be fixed with thicker strings? The strings seem very lightweight that came on it. Thanks.

The reply from @chewmeista came up and it reminded me to update the thread I started. Thanks again for everyone's advice, it was gold. I ended up with a Strat-like guitar, but kind of a weird one... a G&L Comanche Tribute. I knew I wanted an excellent trem mechanism and the G&Ls are well known for that. I also know I hate 60 Hz hum, and the Z-coils are hum canceling, while still having kind of a Strat-like quality.

The pickup and tone controls are pretty flexible and it seemed like a good "do it all" guitar, which is what I was after.

The used Legacy I found on Craigslist would have been a good choice too, but I came across this special edition Comanche in a really nice burl and burst finish and decided to go for it... Less than $700 shipped. It's also just kind of an odd guitar and that really appeals to me.

I'm still a beginner and spending much more time on my beater acoustic, torturing my fingers, but I know my Comanche will grow with me. Thanks again for steering me to Strats!

chewmeista wrote:

I just bought a new Squier Jaguar vibe 70s. Are they known to have some fret rattle right out of the box? Sorry for the newbie question.

Jags are notoriously noisy and require some work to get rid of buzzes and rattles. First, if you haven’t set it up (truss rod, action, radius, intonation) I’d do that first. After that, the fixes you do depend on your instrument. I ended up shimming the neck to increase the break angle over the bridge which increased tension on that. I also removed the tremolo plate and flipped the screws upside down so the strings wouldn’t buzz against it. You can also check to make sure the trem lock isn’t too loose which can cause a rattle.

Its a bit of a pain, but I took it as an opportunity to really dive into guitar setup. There are tons of videos on YouTube on jags setup specifically.

Premiere Single Out Now! - Keep On Running
Psychic Chime - Instagram
Psychic Chime - Twitter
Professional Website (film-scoring)

Horseflesh wrote:

The reply from @chewmeista came up and it reminded me to update the thread I started. Thanks again for everyone's advice, it was gold. I ended up with a Strat-like guitar, but kind of a weird one... a G&L Comanche Tribute. I knew I wanted an excellent trem mechanism and the G&Ls are well known for that. I also know I hate 60 Hz hum, and the Z-coils are hum canceling, while still having kind of a Strat-like quality.

The pickup and tone controls are pretty flexible and it seemed like a good "do it all" guitar, which is what I was after.

The used Legacy I found on Craigslist would have been a good choice too, but I came across this special edition Comanche in a really nice burl and burst finish and decided to go for it... Less than $700 shipped. It's also just kind of an odd guitar and that really appeals to me.

I'm still a beginner and spending much more time on my beater acoustic, torturing my fingers, but I know my Comanche will grow with me. Thanks again for steering me to Strats!

That’s a very good choice. I’ve heard demos of those which were outstanding, with everything from an electric archtop sound to some great Rock sounds. Congrats.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

One I can recommend is the Reverend Double Agent. Mine was the DA with trem, roasted maple neck. The 20th anniversary model.

Only downside: weight. In terms of playability, tonal versatility ... off the charts. And the trem is up there with the very best I've played.

Given your budget, I'd recommend checking out some versatile options like the Fender Player Series Stratocaster or the Yamaha Pacifica 611. Both are great all-around instruments with solid tremolos for those surfy bends. If you want to explore a hollow body, the Gretsch Streamliner is indeed a cool choice, and its unique character will add some flair to your playing. You may also benefit from reading this article before you choose a guitar https://ironageaccessories.com/blogs/iron-age-general-blog/guitar-in-standard-tuning-history. Since you're not fixated on a specific tone, these guitars should offer plenty of versatility, and they'll grow with you as your style develops. Remember, your playing style will evolve, and so will your preferences in pickups and other gear.

Last edited: Aug 03, 2023 06:26:31

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3