Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Some inspiring eleki stuff

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 517 18 Next

CaptainSpringfield
Is that the same Spacemen as Nobuo Kamei's band? Because that cover is way more interesting than anything on their Elec Dynamica album.

I've got the impression it's the same group but I'm not sure. "Hot Doggin" (Hot Docking) is on the Kachinuki Eleki Gassen comp I posted about a couple of pages back which also has some tracks by Nobuo Kamei and the Spacemen. In fact, the comp is somewhat dominated by the two constellations who contributes 8 of the total 24 tracks.

2. Caravan (Nobuo Kamei and the Spacemen)
5. Crewel sea (the Spacemen)
12. ???? of pathos (the Spacemen)
13. Search idling (Nobuo Kamei and the Spacemen)
17. It is sad, it comes and asks (the Spacemen)
18. Paradise ? go & go (the Spacemen)
20. Hot docking (the Spacemen)
22. 10 Homicide of turn town (Nobuo Kamei and the Spacemen)

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
I've got the impression it's the same group but I'm not sure. "Hot Doggin" (Hot Docking) is on the Kachinuki Eleki Gassen comp I posted about a couple of pages back which also has some tracks by Nobuo Kamei and the Spacemen...

Most of that Spacemen album is low energy and not very interesting. That Astronauts cover was way more spirited, which is why I wasn't sure. There's a handful of decent songs, but it's nowhere near the level of Terry or the Sharp Five. Same with what I've heard of Hiroshi Tsutsumi & His All Stars Wagon. (Great band name, though.)

Found this tracklist for that comp on the msato Eleki site. The translation's a bit clearer, though I do prefer "Homicide of Turn Town."

(1)Pipeline(Terry & his Bluejeans)
(2)Caravan(KAMEI NOBUO & The Spaceman)
(3)Diamond Head(OOHASHI & Night Six)
(4)Violet Sky(YUZO KAYAMA and Launchers)
(5)Cruel Sea(The Spaceman)
(6)Misirlou(Terry & his Bluejeans)
(7)Twisted(The Rotaus)
(8)NATU-NO HI-NO OMOIDE(The Giants)
(9)Hard Days Night(Munetaka Inoue and his Sharp Five)
(10)Ticket To Ride(OOHASHI & Night Six)
(11)Last Dance with Me(The Guitar Playboys)
(12)KARERIA(The Spaceman)
(13)La plus belle pour aller danser(KAMEI NOBUO & The Spaceman)
(14)Bulldog Twist(The Rotaus)
(15)Monkey Crazy(YUZO KAYAMA and Launchers)
(16)Misirlou(Terry & his Bluejeans)
(17)Don't let me be misunders(The Spaceman)
(18)Ten Seconds To Heaven(The Spaceman)
(19)Walk don't run(Terry & his Bluejeans)
(20)Hot Doggin'(The Spaceman)
(21)Black Sand Beach(YUZO KAYAMA and Launchers)
(22)Slaughter On Tenth Avenue(KAMEI NOBUO & The Spaceman)
(23)The Sidewinder(Munetaka Inoue and his Sharp Five)
(24)Symphony No.5(Takeshi Terauchi and Bunnys)

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

I know this forum seems like a conversation between Klas and Warren, but I am learning a lot from you two guys, and appreciate your knowledge. Please don't let the thread die for lack on interest. Hopefully I will have something to contribute at some point. Right now, I have a bunch of poorly labeled comps put together by Japanese friends. I dig the sound...
ferenc

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

PolloGuitar
Right now, I have a bunch of poorly labeled comps put together by Japanese friends.

The language barrier's pretty imposing, too--on some comp tracklists it's hard to tell if it's instro or vocal, or even who's playing it. Translators don't always help, and sometimes the artwork doesn't, either. Like Klas said, some eleki comps stuff look way more like GS ones, and the cover art for a GS comp I just won looks more like it's from Haight-Ashbury than anywhere else. Rolling Eyes

I'm fairly surprised some of it hasn't been reissued--a lot of Yuzo's stuff is out of print by now, and I think I saw something on the msato site about the Sharp Five's record company not licensing their songs for re-release.

-Warren

Here's an interesting eleki comp that unfortunately seems to be out of print. I've tried to order it without any success even though it's still listed as available. Short sound clips from all the 28 tracks can be found here:

http://www.neowing.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=TECN-25672

Be sure to check out track 26 which is a cover of "The Eagle" (Al Casey, Astronauts). Track 21 is a fun instro cover of "G.I. Blues" (Elvis). Track 28 is the awesome vocal (!) version of "Movin" (Astronauts). Among other great tracks are no. 7 and 27.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
Here's an interesting eleki comp that unfortunately seems to be out of print. I've tried to order it without any success even though it's still listed as available.

There's some pretty interesting stuff on there--especially that Elvis cover! I was thinking about ordering that one, so it's good to know it's unavailable.

Based on the GS comp I just got, in that sample you posted in the very first post on this topic the songs with female vocals are the Sharp Hawks, not the Sharp Five.

-Warren

I recently found the GS comp "Eiko No Group Sounds" on eBay--almost all of the sixteen songs are vocals, but some are really great. (The seventh song is a great fuzzed-out Chuck Berry ripoff that is beyond cool.) Unfortunately the tracklist is in Japanese, but the three instros alone definitely make it worth hunting down--it has Terry's assault on Beethoven's fifth symphony, one of his studio versions of "Tsugaru Jyongara-bushi," plus the Sharp Five's awesome "Golden Guitar."

(Sorry, just couldn't let this thread die.)

-Warren

CaptainSpringfield

Klas
Thinking a bit more about it, I actually think I've seen the album on eBay but ignored it because I could tell by the front cover pic that it was from the 70s. I will try to get it now though.

I think you'll dig it a lot. The fuzztone on "Point Panic" and the exotica tune (which is really, really good) are the only things that give away the recording date. (Besides the cover.)

Here's the tracklist:

1. Kickstand
  2. Surfin' USA
  3. Surf Party
  4. Movin'
  5. Point Panic
  6. Surfboard Walk
  7. Django
  8. Bluejean No. 1
  9. Karelia
  10. Emma
  11. West Of Cocos
  12. Last Space Train
  13. Hearts Are Heart
  14. The Enchanted Sea

-Warren

I´ve had that album on mp3 for a long time, but no tracklist unfortunately. Thanx! Love "Ajoen ajoen" (covered also by the Royal Fingers)

http://www.myspace.com/cochabambas
http://gianninisupersonic.blogspot.com

These records are out of my price range on ebay, anyway.

KK

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

Klas

Klas
Yuzo Kayama performing with the Ventures

Anyone know which record this is (the pic have the Liberty label logo so I assume it's a record)? Did Kayama actually record with the Ventures?

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

Aha! So the pic was from a record! Do you know what's on it?

Kawentzmann
These records are out of my price range on ebay, anyway.

Thanks for posting these cool covers. The 4th from top Terry album has been reissued on CD.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

The pic’s called ginza lights, so I guess that’s the title track.
??

KK

Klas
The 4th from top Terry album has been reissued on CD.

I know the Spacemen's "Elec Dynamica" has been as well, and I'm pretty sure the Sharp Five album pictured is on the "Japanese Classics" collection.

That's interesting about the Yuzo/Ventures single. Wonder what it sounds like.

-Warren

CaptainSpringfield
... and I'm pretty sure the Sharp Five album pictured is on the "Japanese Classics" collection.

I would really like to find that one. Unfortunately I believe the Japanese Classics CD has been out of print for quite some time.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
I would really like to find that one. Unfortunately I believe the Japanese Classics CD has been out of print for quite some time.

It seems like their record label hasn't reissued their material in Japan. Acording to the msato site, the only material of theirs currently available is a "best-of" which is the Haru No Umi album and a bunch of classical songs. I've never seen a copy of that anywhere, though.

The description for the Japanese Classics album is "Munetaka Inoue and his Sharp five is first LP's to CD(Wakai Guitar)." The covers for Young Guitar Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 are in the artwork, though--maybe it's both albums?

-Warren

CaptainSpringfield
It seems like their record label hasn't reissued their material in Japan.

I recently bought the "Paradise A Go Go/Four Nice Guys" 2001 Japanese reissue CD from Amazon Japan, which is on their original label, King Record Co.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
I recently bought the "Paradise A Go Go/Four Nice Guys" 2001 Japanese reissue CD from Amazon Japan, which is on their original label, King Record Co.

Alright, so maybe the msato site isn't quite as great a source of information as I thought. Smile

There's definitely some filler on that disc, but there's also a decent amount of flat-out amazing stuff.

-Warren

Found this little piece of information on eBay regarding Terry's "Manatso No Umi Wo Buttobase:"

"On offer here is a very rare LP by TAKESHI TERAUCHI & SUBARASII ELEKI YARO TACHI. This LP is Extramely rare because this is not with BLUE JEANS, BUNNIES"

Unsurprisingly, Google doesn't turn up anything on his backing band.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TAKESHI-TERAUCHI-japan-psych-garage-rock-1972-ORIG_W0QQitemZ4890380004QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The opening bid is $89.00--happy hunting.

-Warren

Little Terry "Tsugaru Jongarabushi"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-7ZVYRWhzg

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
Little Terry "Tsugaru Jongarabushi"

I can't tell which is more insane--that, or the version of "Flying Guitar"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trr9jBp_AaY

-Warren

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 517 18 Next