Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Pros/Cons of a Mustang bridge on a Jazzmaster?

Page 1 of 1

Last autumn I purchased a gently used Vintera '60s Jazzmaster, which arrived with a terrible set-up. It appeared that the original owner futzed around with the bridge but didn't have a clue how to dial it in, which is probably why she sold it so quickly! Like many neophytes, I also struggled for quite a while with the set-up. The rattling and instability of the bridge was easy to fix with blue Loctite and a neck shim, but it took a little longer to figure out how to best adjust the vibrato tension. I got the relief set up per spec, but I don't have a radius gauge and relied on using a coin to get the saddles' relative heights correct.

The one area that gave me the most trouble was figuring how to correctly position the strings on the threaded saddles, since there are quite a lot of options. I tried aligning the strings with the centers of the poles on bridge pickup and also tried it with the neck pickup, and it just didn't feel right; I think the pickups were not perfectly positioned at the factory. That, combined with the round 7.25" radius, was giving me fits. I struggled for weeks trying to get the low action I like without the high E choking above the 12th fret.

Late one night last week, in a fit of frustration, I said 'flark it' and ordered an All Parts Mustang bridge on Amazon. I figured that the pre-set saddle heights and string spacing would solve the problems I was wrestling with.

Literally the very next night, I took a fresh look at the bridge set-up, and it dawned on my that I should start by positioning the D and G strings on either side of the neck dot closest to the heel, and then position the outer strings accordingly. VOILA! That did the trick. I achieved the low action I wanted and the high E on the upper frets no longer chokes. The Jazzmaster was immediately transformed into a terrific, fun playing guitar as soon as I had that revelation!

So here's the thing... With all of the set-up problems solved and the guitar playing great, I still had that Mustang bridge on its way, and it was delivered today. I can easily return it for a refund - it's still in its packaging - but it only cost $20 , so I'm wondering if I should just hang onto it.

This longwinded post leads to the following question:
What benefits, if any, would I gain by swapping in the Mustang bridge at this point? Do the larger saddles have more mass (= more sustain)? Is there a meaningful tonal difference between the chrome Mustang saddles and threaded steel JM saddles?

Should I just call it a day and send back the Mustang bridge?

Thee Original Beachniks...surf music from the caves of old Cape Cod!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022 16:44:55

I found the answer I needed! I measured the Mustang spacing... 57mm. The spacing on the JM bridge is 52mm.

The stock bridge will stay then!

You should hold onto the Mustang bridge for a bit and see how you feel about the stock one after a couple months. The strings do tend to move from where you set them in the threads rather easily and it gets tiresome.

Redfeather wrote:

You should hold onto the Mustang bridge for a bit and see how you feel about the stock one after a couple months. The strings do tend to move from where you set them in the threads rather easily and it gets tiresome.

Thank you!

Re: Redfeather's advice -many of us love the stock bridges. I think it boils down to your personal playing style.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

See if Bodo is interested in it?
https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/34789/?page=1#p452755

I've never had a problem with the traditional Jazzmaster bridge. They settle in eventually, also your playing style changes to suit it, I think

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

i prefer mustang style. less moving parts to slip when playing hard. takes the guesswork out of string spacing, AND even with proper break angle i’ve had strings jump slots on the stock JM saddles. mustang bridge is a non issue.

OLD (even AVRI) stock bridges seem to be made to tighter machine tolerances, plus the dirt and grime over years of use. the saddles on new ones bottom out in minutes. once they oxidize and grime up though they’re fine. i’ve done the thread lock route and it didn’t last very long.

my bass vi, jazzmaster, and jaguar have staytrem, or american professional bridges (mustang style, 9.5” radius). makes setup and seasonal adjustments a bit easier

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022 18:25:01

Page 1 of 1