Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fender Twin Speaker Upgrade Recommendations?

Page 1 of 1

I got my hands on a '72 Fender Twin (silver face) that had the original Fender speakers replaced with 2 Jensen "Vintage Design" speakers. It's my first experience with Jensens and I do not like them... too bassy, no mids and no highs. When I run Jag through my Fender tank or my Surfybear compact before it, you would hardly know it... very unresponsive. I'm looking for speaker recommendations to "wake" this amp up? Some speaker suggestions that focus more on the mids and highs would be super helpful! It's not my main amp, but I would like it to be more to my liking.

The Men in Gray Suits (Montreal, Canada)
Facebook: The Men in Gray Suits
Instagram: The Men in Gray Suits

have you had the amp serviced recently or tried the amp through another cabinet? I’m surprised a twin won’t get bright even through speakers like those.

twins to me are often stupendously bright amps through most any speaker.

does the bright switch make any appreciable difference on either channel?

It sounds like something’s either wrong with the speaker or the circuit. The Jensen C12N or C12Q generally sound warm but not dull. I have a ‘72 Twin and I went and got a Steelaire (15” 4 ohm 275w monster) and and cutting a new baffle board today! I have a friend who has routers. I just won an auction for a pair of Jensen P12Ns, I may try those in the brown Twin.

If you have any other amp speakers, try those out and see if they are also dull. You may be hearing mods someone did to that circuit, or just component values that drifted far beyond their spec. It could be one cap.

Daniel Deathtide

First off, make sure your circuit is squared away as suggested above.

After that, this is my suggestion, take it for what its worth... I would look for a 15" baffle out of a vibrasonic (Or make one) and stuff a 15" JBL in that amp. The downside is that you will either need to find a custom 4 ohm speaker or have an off the shelf speaker rewound to 4 ohm. Not a huge thing, but still a pain. The payoff will be worth it. A lot of people have twin reverbs, but the 15" "Twin" will be a surf machine!

Just an option, but had to put it out there, as that is the direction I would go if I was in your position.

Or a couple D or K120s would drop in and achieve a result similar to the 15" JBL.

Page 1 of 1