Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Greetings from a New Member

Page 1 of 1

Let me introduce myself. I first started to play guitar in 1963, joined a band in 1964 and we played together through High School and broke up in 1968 after graduation when everyone went their separate ways. We played mostly School dances, a variety of music, with surf music sprinkled throughout.

Got my first surfboard in 1964, and it has a Hansen, a real log (I've still have it). I tried Collage after HS but left and went into the service for 6 years. When I was discharged I was into other things and didn't play guitar anymore. I sold my amp (UNIVOX U305R), but kept my electric guitar (Zerosette made in Italy.

I did quit surfing in 2017, had a couple of operations on my shoulders and they were all work out. So now I go boogie boarding when can.

Fast forward to 2019, after retirement I purchased a 6 string acoustic and started playing again. After a while I purchased an amp, had my old electric guitar serviced and started to playing "the old stuff" again.

I find myself going back to the surf tunes we used to play just because they were so much fun. Then last week I was reading about reverb tanks, following some links and presto I found SurfGuitar101. I will say I am stoked at the memories coming back reading the posts and looking at everyone's gear. The backing tracks are great.

Old_Baldie (Charlie)

Welcome Charlie! You've come to the right place. Share a picture of the Zerosette, I've never heard of it.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Hello Charlie, from the Royal Aces surf band in Denver. A lot of fun to be had on this website.

Italy had a number of accordion manufactures and during the 1950's they got together and merged their manufacturing for cost reductions. The combined manufacturing was called Zerosette. During the 1960 guitar boom, they started to make guitars under a number of Brand names and made them for music stores to sell as Store models.

I purchased my guitar from the Straub Music Store, Syosset, Long Island, NY. It was marketed as a Straub Special.

More infor about Zerosette can be found at:

https://www.fetishguitars.com/zerosette/

Attached is a pic of my guitar, it does have a wammy bar, just not installed in this pic.

Hi Charlie, welcome to SG101! That's a great looking '60s guitar. Are you still located in the North East? I ask because, in addition to SG101, you might also want to get in touch with the North East Surf Music Alliance (NESMA). They are a bunch of surf musicians and fans from New Jersey up to Maine. Here is their website link, http://www.nesmasurf.org/

Patrick

Patrick, thanks for the link, I'll check them out. Currently I'm located just outside of Indianapolis. I moved here a few years ago from Florida, was down there about 23 years.

I do visit the east coast to see family so may hook up with NESMA. Haven't found to many people into surf music around here. I do join a group twice a month to play some bluegrass, when in Rome.

Charlie, check out the surf band map here on the SG101 site. There are some surf bands in the Indianapolis area and a bunch more over in Ohio. You might be able to find some folks to jam with.

Patrick

Welcome Charlie!

One of the best modern surf bands is based out of Indianapolis: The Madeira. They've been quiet since the Covid thing and I'm not sure they are active at the moment. But keep your eye out!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Page 1 of 1