Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline – Surf’s First Wave

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

SilverFlash wrote:

synchro wrote:

What an amazing thread!

I really appreciate how you have tied it all together. The Surf Music phenomenon didn’t come about in a vacuum; it happened in the context of musical and social trends.

Without the P-Bass and the Telecaster, music would have probably developed quite differently. The guitar sound of Surf Music owes a debt to these developments, not to mention many other developments in amplification and effects.

Well, that’s just one tiny facet of the picture, but it serves to illustrate just how many moving pieces are involved in the story. I really appreciate the perspective I have gained by reading this thread.

Thank you, synchro! I'm glad you grok my intention with this thread. (If anyone is not science fiction inclined, grok means "to understand profoundly and intuitively", from Robert A. Heinlein's 1961 science fiction novel Stranger in a Strange Land. For more on the connection between Sci-Fi and surf music, check out the thread: What is the connection between Surf music and retro-futurism/sci-fi/ and b-movies?)

You make the context of Surf Music obvious for all to see. Surf didn’t have one moment of origin, whether it be the Jazzmaster, the Dual Showman the 6G15, Duane Eddy or what have you. Surf happened because of any number of influences which gelled at one point and gave rise to the phenomenon. Had these influences been different, or even had the timing of these influences been different, the results could well have been very different.

For example, had The Beach Boys had hits that sang about surfing, it’s possible that the nation’s attention would never have been focused on surfing and the Surf element of the music would have never been known outside of the LA area. What we call Surf Music may have just been an instrumental outgrowth of the Twist craze and never really have taken off as a genre. Had the 6G15 not come along when it did, we might never have had the mental connection between the crashing of waves and the sound of cranked up reverb.

I have been watching that Sci Fi thread with interest. To my mind, Surf, Spy and Space Age music have a great deal in common.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

This is a great resource. Thank you

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

Tele295 wrote:

Thank you, Tele295! I'm glad you found it useful.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

SilverFlash wrote:

Tele295 wrote:

Thank you, Tele295! I'm glad you found it useful.

If you have any more of these sorts of threads in mind, I’d love reading them.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2