Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Surf drumming - my subjective thoughts

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 28 9 10 11 12

I love 'em both too. Apples and oranges but they're both sweet. Big Grin

Skins for The Delstroyers

Last edited: Dec 08, 2016 23:12:12

N0_Camping4U wrote:

I'm trying to piece together a surf-kit
Can anyone help a fella out?

I recently got the Ludwig Breakbeats 4-piece Shell Pack ($350 at GC) for our new drummer, Jim to use in my living room practice space. They are compact and mix nicely with the band. I'm not a drummer, but Jim seems to like them. Check the reviews. The 16" crash and 20" ride are Paiste PST7. Hats are some old 13" Zildjian New Beats that I used with the now defunct Roland edrums.

That's a really nice looking kit!

Deal with reality, or reality will deal with you.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018 21:58:50

Yeah that is a nice drum kit. I use to play drums pretty good back in the day. Wouldn't last five minutes now . . lol

It's amazing how small drum kits were in the 1960's and how good the drumming was as well. They only had a ride cymbal and a hi-hat, no crash cymbal they used the ride for that.

The Big Band drummer Gene Krupa was definitely a major influence to all the Surfers on drums. He got a lot of his style from players in Chicago in the late 1920's and early 1930's, so the Surf Drumming style was already 30 years old in the early 1960's

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019 19:59:20

Surfer_Joe_1961 wrote:

Yeah that is a nice drum kit. I use to play drums pretty good back in the day. Wouldn't last five minutes now . . lol

It's amazing how small drum kits were in the 1960's and how good the drumming was as well. They only had a ride cymbal and a hi-hat, no crash cymbal they used the ride for that.

The Big Band drummer Gene Krupa was definitely a major influence to all the Surfers on drums. He got a lot of his style from players in Chicago in the late 1920's and early 1930's, so the Surf Drumming style was already 30 years old in the early 1960's

Crash/ride ala early Mel Taylor before going huge double kick and all that heh. Krupa was amazing... Shock

Skins for The Delstroyers

Crash/ride ala early Mel Taylor before going huge double kick and all that heh. Krupa was amazing... Shock

Yeah Krupa was pretty much influential to every drummer in Surf and Studio players back at the beginning. Many grew up watching these guys in action at concerts back in the day. Krupa picked up his skills through Dixieland players being the drum kit was invented by them - he was the first guy to play interracially back then to pick up skills from other cats etc....

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019 22:16:35

My current favorite surf drummer is Ben Marazzi from The Volcanics

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

Goto Page: Previous 1 28 9 10 11 12