Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » SurfGuitar101 Website »

Permalink The State of SG101 - News, Updates, Ideas for the Website itself

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 214 15 16 17 18 Next

Brian wrote:

Hey all -- the OS update was a disaster. Luckily I could restore from backup.

It seems like I'm going to have to approach this a different way... back to the drawing board.

Darn.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Brian,
Take a break! Put on a surf podcast, have a cold drink and let your mind relax for a couple of hours... It's Friday!!!!

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Yeah, what Art said!

Patrick

Hey all, there is more bit-rot coming. I use Amazon AWS to store our forum photos and I need to upgrade a whole bunch of software in order to keep using this feature. The deadline is sometime in June. I'm not sure what I am going to do yet but I'm just mentioning this because people are donating. To be honest I'm not sure how much longer I can run this site... it might be time to go into archive mode.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

My humble suggestion is to consider returning to only hot-linked photos and skip storing photos.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Brian, I have been aware that the website might die mostly because sites don't exist unless they are financially successful. You have had a good run for many years, My thanks to you for your efforts. I'm just an old guy who has received much enjoyment from this website. The day you decide you have had enough, I hope there is someone to take it over who will do as well as you have. This has always been a pleasant place to be. Through out the years, I have had the privilege of interacting with many people. it's been great. I hope there is a solution to what ever is coming over the next wave. I have no wisdom to share. There are others who have knowledge that can be helpful. I hope you find a good solution for the future. Smile

Squid wrote:

My humble suggestion is to consider returning to only hot-linked photos and skip storing photos.

Yeah it will probably come to that unfortunately. I'm still thinking...

Thank you wfoguy it's been a pleasure having you here over the years!

Man, I hate this. I've been here since the very beginning. I feel like SG101 is as much about surf music as it was as much as what surf music is. This place is a history of the music, as well as a "what's happening now".

I still check in once a day. I rarely contribute, because, frankly, we have already gone over it.... usually to death, or its not worth discussing.

Frankly, _ could care less what Bullshit amp you think is a suitable substitute for what we all know is the real setup for this music. Or what Jaguar or Jazzmaster is the new hot setup - or even a Strat. (that's for you Ivan) _

We used to have big big discussions over all the little things, and I thought that made a difference. We were discussing history. But then Facebook came along, and suddenly, we differently communicate. I HATE Fb.

I sometimes feel like my time here has been a waste. I've learned a ton of stuff, and I've tried to share everything I've learned. And recently, everything I share, I get shot down, or dismissed.

I thought that we (the SG101 community) were furthering the surf music legacy with the website and community. I fear it might have been a waste of time.

I'm not trying to push Brian into anything. I have loved this place. If it has to come to an end, i get it. I hope we can continue, but I know its not the same as it was.

This site is very much the same as surf music itself.

BTW, It's not surf rock, it's surf music. That's the way it has always been. Don't make me fight you.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

^^this^^

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

Chris, I think you're a little hard on this place. This forum, like all forums and social media really, is primarily a place for people with a common interest to pass some time, maybe give or take a little helpful information, but mostly pass time. We all have numerous ways in which to do so, in fact more now than ever, but this place was definitely one of the better options, and I am very glad Brian created it and kept it going all these years.

EDIT: Maybe I didn't word that very well. You're not being hard on this place, it seems that you had high expectations that didn't pan out. I can sympathize with that

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Last edited: Apr 09, 2023 21:20:30

Man. I completely understand and sympathize. However, I gotta say that Facebook may have leached a lot of life from this forum but it failed to replace its value. Which is what ALWAYS seems to happen! Slight tangent, I used to go out for garage sales every Saturday morning and stopped because finding good sales with impossible on Facebook but Craigslist has become a wasteland.

The Facebook surf groups are just noise. Bands posting their music, which is fine, but zero discussion, half of them refuse to poke their heads out and realize that there's new surf music past the pulp fiction era. It's not a rallying place (it's too fractured for one), it's not a place to build community, and most importantly everything on social media posts, even if it's somehow accessible if you really dig, just evaporates over time. I appreciate that you intend to at least keep this as an archive, because I think that's invaluable.

I realize the era of the forum is gone. The age of the blog is gone even though I stubbornly continue to operate one. But why wouldn't people celebrating surf music refuse to give up something that's good for a trend? I feel like most people are even getting tired of social media but there's nowhere left to go. Discord? I like it but it still suffers from the lack of archival navigability.

Also big yikes that there may not be an SG101 by the time SG101 Convention comes up.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Sonichris wrote:

Yes, spot on. I personally can't identify with the scene anymore.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Brian wrote:

To be honest I'm not sure how much longer I can run this site... it might be time to go into archive mode.

That would be so sad, but also understandable given that the activity in the forums has become considerably smaller and the technical demands seem to become larger and larger... Crying

I used to spent a lot of time on here to write about concerts and records and making music (not so much about gear though). And I benefitted greatly from other people posting about events, new releases and the history of surf music. But social media platforms pretending to offer the same service seems to have prevented new people from joining here, which is always the beginning of the end, since there will always be people leaving for whatever reason... Like Hunter, I see the archival aspect as a great plus on SG101's side (I'm a historian...), but most people probably don't care that much about it...

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

No matter what happens I am going to try and keep the posts around because there is some gold in there amongst the noise.

I also read the email from Amazon a bit closer, there may be a way out regarding the forum photos. I mean if the forum photos were to go I would assume that would make people leave even more than they already have.

I don't think this was a waste of time. It had its ups and downs and we are certainly years away from the golden heyday of SG101 before Facebook became a household name. I met so many people, made so many friends, read so many fascinating things about the 60's surf scene, hell even Paul Johnson used to post here! (And Dick Dale tried...)

Anyway, I'll be looking through all the stuff Amazon sent me and see if we can get around this problem.

Sonichris wrote:

(snip)
Frankly, _ could care less what Bullshit amp you think is a suitable substitute for what we all know is the real setup for this music. Or what Jaguar or Jazzmaster is the new hot setup - or even a Strat. (that's for you Ivan) _

(snip)
We used to have big big discussions over all the little things, and I thought that made a difference. We were discussing history. But then Facebook came along, and suddenly, we differently communicate. I HATE Fb.

(snip)
BTW, It's not surf rock, it's surf music. That's the way it has always been. Don't make me fight you.

Gatekeeping doesn't look good on anybody, so maybe it's your attitude that's helping us "differently communicate."

If I want to call it surf rock, I can call it surf rock. If I want to play it on a Les Paul through a Peavey Classic 50, well, I can do that too. That's how music works - because it's art, not science.

You wonder why more people don't participate here? It just might be because they read posts like yours and figure they don't need that kind of gatekeeping/negativity in their lives, and they just move on.

There's enough space here for all of us who share the love of surf rock in all its forms - and no matter what guitar or amp we choose to use.

--
Project: MAYHEM by Hypersonic Secret now available!

Brian wrote:

...the golden heyday of SG101 before Facebook became a household name.

Heh, household names for Facebook vary. I wish it had never come about. A light-year ago when some of us in DoD pushed back against a thing called 'Total Information Awareness' and the idea was withdrawn due to that outcry I hoped the issue was dead. Alas, Facebook right on the heels of that. Fancy that. Anyway...

I don't log in very often but stop by to look several times a week, and check the POTD. Chris has already said some of what I'd say. However the tussle with AWS turns out, the site is most deserving of being archived in some way. It chronicles so much, culturally & technically. Also, a full-waist bow to you Brian for your efforts. Don't discount the need to sometimes say 'Adios' and focus on other "stuff."

Salud, and many beverages to you!

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I surely prefer this forum to social networks even now. I read a lot and share a lot and find it really helpful and supportive. Surely there were some more active times here…
I would like this forum to live on and ready to support it in anyway I can.
I know that a lot of people now only read and do not post or comment, this kills SG101, but what can we do… On FB they at least make likes)

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

New Single is out!

https://waikikimakaki.bandcamp.com/album/rhino-blues-full-contact-surf-single

Waikiki Makaki

https://linktr.ee/waikikimakaki

Lost Diver

https://lostdiver.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/vitaly-yakushin

I am not really engaged with FB (the shine has worn off…lol), and rely on this site for most of my surf info. SG101 is a wonderful place that ebbs and flows, like life. I really appreciate all of your work Brian, and all that the site has done to help with USK’s career. In no way would we have had the many opportunities to travel the world, connect with others, and make so many good friends without SG101. Realizing it is a labour of love, whatever you decide is fine with me. You have given so much to the community. Having said that, I would be very happy for it to continued. As someone who lived through the so called heyday of the site, Sg101 still holds a ton of value for me and the surf community. I am not bothered by the fact that many have headed to FB for their surf lives; this site is still full of many great people and information.

Just my 2 cents,

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Sonichris wrote:

Man, I hate this. I've been here since the very beginning. I feel like SG101 is as much about surf music as it was as much as what surf music is. This place is a history of the music, as well as a "what's happening now".

I still check in once a day. I rarely contribute, because, frankly, we have already gone over it.... usually to death, or its not worth discussing.

I sometimes feel like my time here has been a waste. I've learned a ton of stuff, and I've tried to share everything I've learned. And recently, everything I share, I get shot down, or dismissed.

I thought that we (the SG101 community) were furthering the surf music legacy with the website and community. I fear it might have been a waste of time.

I'm not trying to push Brian into anything. I have loved this place. If it has to come to an end, i get it. I hope we can continue, but I know its not the same as it was.

This forum is not just about legacy. It’s about surf music that now is unbelievable wide and active. With all the bullshit amps, shitty pedals and various gear. That’s so good you know what is the real setup for surf music, you are so lucky. I don’t.
And sorry, but if your comments are usually in the same arrogant tone as here, I understand why you are not happy with reactions.

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

New Single is out!

https://waikikimakaki.bandcamp.com/album/rhino-blues-full-contact-surf-single

Waikiki Makaki

https://linktr.ee/waikikimakaki

Lost Diver

https://lostdiver.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/vitaly-yakushin

Goto Page: Previous 1 214 15 16 17 18 Next