Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
118 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Introductions! New Members Post Here

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 250 51 52 53 54 55 56 Next

Hey Everyone- I've been lurking here since 2019 and just posted yesterday. When I did I realized that I never introduced myself. So here goes.
I'm Pat. I've been playing guitar since I was in high school, mostly fooling around, but was in a band for a few years in college. "Wipe Out" was our one surf tune.
I live in S. Florida between the Palm Beach County madness and the St. Lucie county sprawl. I ran my family's 86 yr old transportation company up until last Sept. when I got out. The last 2 years made me realize I didn't want to start all over again. So now I just restore cars in our 100 year old gas station.
I've loved surf for years but really started getting into it when I started attending The Hukilau in Ft Lauderdale. Lots of great bands. I attended the Southern Surf Stompfest in 2019. Great event with really nice people.
I've been on The Gretsch Discussion pages for a bunch of years and posted a bit, but it seems like The GDP has gone the way of Tiki Central. Thanks for having me!

Pat Martin
1954 Gretsch Duo Jet
2000 Rickenbacker 360 w/ Accent Vibrato
2010 Fender Strat partscaster
2019 Gretsch 5422/12
2021 Hallmark Custom 65

Early 70's Fender Princeton Reverb

Welcome! Nice to have you hear. Looks like you have some great gear.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Welcome to SG101, Pat. Glad you're here.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Thanks for the backstory. Great to have you in the soup.

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Hello Pat, welcome to the family!

Patrick

Wow, this thread hasn't seen a post in a while. Feels like the deep end, but I'll take a chance and hope it's shallow. New member here. Waves politely as he jumps into the drink.

Last edited: Oct 02, 2022 20:41:07

Welcome, Comrade_Dubcek! Tell us a bit about yourself.

If I'd stop buying old guitars to fix, I might actually learn to play.
Bringing instruments back to life since 2013.

Thanks for the welcome, Idk! Not much to report on my end,just a longtime kinda-guitar player with an appreciation for surf instrumentals. Great to be here and it's been a fun couple days exploring the site.

Comrade, there's a lot of good people here with a lot of talent and knowledge who love to share. You should be able to find anything you want that's surf related. Welcome! Check out the online surf music shows available.

Patrick

Thanks, Patrick!

Many pardons ... it looks like I broke protocol and neglected to post here before jumping into a few other threads!

I've enjoyed surf music for decades, but pretty casually. In the last three years it's become more of an obsession and I'm working on my first solo album, which will be a collection of instrumental surf rock classics Smile

I started playing guitar seriously at 15, nearly 40 years ago. My bands have always been rock to hard-rock to metal acts, and we always wrote and recorded our own music. I've got probably 10 albums under my belt, some of which I even produced and recorded myself. Right now I'm playing in an indie rock band out of Charlottesville, VA called 7th Grade Girl Fight.

My surf rig is pretty simple. I splurged and got myself a Fender Custom Shop Ltd 59 Jazzmaster Closet Classic at the beginning of the summer, adding that to a reissue Bassman 4x10 combo and a reissue Fender Tube Reverb unit. My other surf-forward guitar is an all-Fender partscaster, a mix of American Pro II and American Player parts plus a Mann-Made bridge and FCS pickups. I've owned a lot of guitars over the years, they come and they go, but Fender (mostly Strats) and PRS have been mainstays for me and form the bulk of my collection right now. I have a couple of Rickenbackers as well, including a 12 string I really dig. My profile photo shows off my heavily modded Hello Kitty Strat - an impulse buy that took a lot of work to turn into a good-playing guitar, but now it's an absolute screamer.

My main rock amps are an old Peavey Classic 50 and a Koch Twintone (great high-gain sounds), and I run them through a pair of 1980s Marshall 1965 cabs - the A/slant is all stock with its original 4x10 complement; the B/straight I modded with a 2x12 baffle and a pair of Scumbacks. I've never really been a pedal guy, but I use a few here and there as needed - my pedalboard power supply failed about a year ago so since then, I've really only been using a tuner on stage as my only pedal, but I'll get that fixed up sooner or later.

I was glad to find the forum here, and it's helped me find some new bands to enjoy and last night, I went to see my first surf show, Surfer Joe played in Nashville, where I had to go for work for a few days. I'll be up in Pittsburgh in November, and I'll catch The Surfrajettes there.

My favorite bands in the last few years have been Los Straitjackets, The Surfrajettes, The Del-Vipers, The Irradiates, Blue Stingrays, and now I have to add Surfer Joe to that list as well! (I got 2 of his CDs at the show.) Of course I'll always have a soft spot for The Ventures and Dick Dale, but there's a lot of good new bands & music out there too.

Glad to be a part of the community here, and I look forward to chatting with everybody and even getting to see some of your bands perform!

--
Project: MAYHEM by Hypersonic Secret now available!

Last edited: Oct 07, 2022 21:50:06

Welcome Chiba!

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Glad to have you here Chiba. It sounds like you are off to a great start!

Patrick

Welcome aboard! Looks like you have some serious gear! We'll see you round the campus!

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

I just now saw this for new members to say hello. I did look for one but never saw till now! I've been on the forum and only posted a few times and here's my official hello!
For surf music, I have been into it my entire life. Something about the purity of the instrumentals and tones the bands get and the fun they all seem to have as opposed to other rock bands out there just hits me right. And I've always been in search of the perfect tone myself. But I haven't played in a surf band or any band for several years. I'm 56. Would really to. I've had at leaste one of everything for gear. Im now on my third reverb tank. I also love and play rockabilly. Surf and rockabilly just go together. My main electric is a '53 RI Gretsch Scripty. I also have a Jaguar and Jazzmaster modified. Seriously hot pups on the Jazzmaster. My current amp is a '66 Gretsch 6162. Sweet snappy amp.
And I have to say I've discovered some new bands and found some great new internet stations and pod casts in my short time on here.

Hey Twangster99, welcome to the clan! As you noted, there is a wealth of surf music goodness here in the form of internet stations, pod casts, live band postings, lessons, equipment info, so much is shared all of the time!

I hope you can get into a surf band or find the folks to put one together. Where in this fine world are you located?

Patrick

I'm on Long Island. No shortage of surf!

That's for sure, and you have the bands that are part of NESMA who might have leads on new bands forming. Good luck!

Patrick

Ah! NESMA, thanks for the reminder.

Hi everyone! My name is Danyaal and I'm a newer artist living in New York City with my Strat and Princeton Reverb amp!

I just recorded my first two original surf instrumentals and I was looking around for an online community of cool people when I found this place Smile

I'm super excited to get to know everyone and dive deeper into the amazing subculture of surf music and while also hopefully getting to play live more throughout 2023 Smile

Danyaal
Songwriter & Musician

Boardwalk Bop, Vol. 1

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023 00:40:58

Goto Page: Previous 1 250 51 52 53 54 55 56 Next