Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink A remedy for the FRV-1's harsh overtones?

Page 1 of 1

So I think Fender actually did a really good job on the FRV-1, despite the popularity of some competitors. Nevertheless, there is certainly a harshness or shrillness that I haven't been able to dial out. Many of you are aware!

It dawned on me that the 6G15 is an entire unit, not just a reverb tank. It's got a (5-watt?) amp driving those spring transducers which creates a significant impact on tone. And I think most of us surf fans would recognize there's a little drive coming from a pushed 6G15 that's pleasant.

My mini epiphany: Fender modeled the whole unit, not just the drip. There's drive built into the algorithm.

So I tried an experiment. You could simply turn down your guitar, but for ease of use I put a volume box before my FRV-1 and dialed back maybe 15% or 20%. You could use any clean pedal with a volume control to do this I think, or build one with a pot and some jacks. I got a slick one with space graphics off Reverb for $25. Whatever works!

In any case, reducing the input gain to the FRV-1 seems to reduce the harshness a lot but retain the nice drip from the pedal. I believe the harsh tone is coming from overtones brought out by drive modeling. Same principle as distorting a bass guitar a bit to get it to pop in a mix. If you've got one of these, try it out and report back.

Cheers!

Neptune Trojans

Brent, have you tried lowering your pickups a bit? May be a simpler option.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Thanks for the tip, Danny. I'm lucky to have several reverb options, but recently encountered some discussion on the FRV-1 and was merely sharing something I tried and thought worked to a degree.

Neptune Trojans

That’s interesting. I had an FRV-1, which I foolishly sold when I bought my Catalinbread Topanga. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Topanga, but the FRV-1 had a charm of its own. Unfortunately, there was a metallic harshness that I didn’t care for. It sounds like you may have broken the code and found a good fix.

The 6G15 basically was a Champ driving the reverb, so your wet signal had been through a Class A, single ended tube amp before it ever reached the guitar amp. All I know is that the one 6G15 I played through was amazing.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I used it for several months and decided that the best remedy is to sell it and buy another reverb) I could do nothing with this harsh sound.

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

New Single is out!

https://waikikimakaki.bandcamp.com/album/rhino-blues-full-contact-surf-single

Waikiki Makaki

https://linktr.ee/waikikimakaki

Lost Diver

https://lostdiver.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/vitaly-yakushin

Samurai wrote:

I used it for several months and decided that the best remedy is to sell it and buy another reverb) I could do nothing with this harsh sound.

When they first came out, it was somewhat an innovation and probably as close to a 6G15 as any pedal in existence. It had some drip and a degree of the feel of a tank, but it came off a bit metallic and harsh to my ear.

It’s really amazing, the degree to which pedals have developed over the last 10-15 years. I won’t argue that any pedal comes up to the standards of a good 6G15, because it’s pretty much impossible to capture that much lightning in a bottle. If you want a 6G15 and can’t find, or don’t care to pay the price for a vintage unit, I’d say to buy a Surfy Bear. However, some of the solid-state pedals out there these days are startlingly good. I use a Catalinbread Topanga, and love it. I also have a JHS Spring Tank and it too, has an excellent sound, if you spend the time required to dial in the settings. There are other good reverb pedals as well, and each has their own devoted following.

I've got a 6G15 RI but was digging around for a compact pedal to see if I could put together a super light rig. The Topanga still seems to be a winner but I did some experimenting with the Boss because I've got one laying around. I never sold it because the prices are insane and I figured I'd decide it was my fave as soon as I sold it.

Neptune Trojans

BrentD wrote:

I've got a 6G15 RI but was digging around for a compact pedal to see if I could put together a super light rig. The Topanga still seems to be a winner but I did some experimenting with the Boss because I've got one laying around. I never sold it because the prices are insane and I figured I'd decide it was my fave as soon as I sold it.

In my case, I must claim only a faint parallel. I have a reissue Fender Tube Reverb, which sounds good, but I won’t say that it’s as good as an original 6G15. I bought an FRV-1 about three seconds after they went on sale, then I became an early adopter of the Topanga. Unfortunately, I sold the FRV-1 and I do regret it. I’d love to have another, even if I used it rarely.

Yeah, mine is a reissue too. There's an original one nearby but the owner has a Vibrasonic too and doesn't seem to want to part with it (or the amp!).

Neptune Trojans

BrentD wrote:

Yeah, mine is a reissue too. There's an original one nearby but the owner has a Vibrasonic too and doesn't seem to want to part with it (or the amp!).

That 6G15 and a Vibrolux would make for a great combination.

BOSS made the FRV -1 not Fender . I didnt care for the harsh treble ..the rest I found to be fine . Yes there is some drive emulated as well which actually sounds natural but the quality of the treble is weird/ harsh ..I ended up usually turning the treble down almost all the way when I used the FRV-1 ( which wasnt often ) . I have better reverb pedal options and a few tanks so the FRV 1 was not being used and I donated it to a teenage surfer girl who wants to play surf guitar .

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022 12:13:00

ArabSpringReverb wrote:

BOSS made the FRV -1 not Fender . I didnt care for the harsh treble ..the rest I found to be fine . Yes there is some drive emulated as well which actually sounds natural but the quality of the treble is weird/ harsh ..I ended up usually turning the treble down almost all the way when I used the FRV-1 ( which wasnt often ) . I have better reverb pedal options and a few tanks so the FRV 1 was not being used and I donated it to a teenage surfer girl who wants to play surf guitar .

As best I recall, there were three pedals which Boss came out with that were emulations of Fender products. The FRV-1, the Deluxe Reverb pedal and the ‘59 Bassman pedal. I owned examples of the first two.

Weird/harsh well describes the highs of the FRV-1. All I can opine is that they were going for a crisp, bright reverb and overshot the target. In every other way, I feel that it acquitted itself well.

The Deluxe Reverb pedal was interesting. It was basically designed to copy the control set of a Deluxe Reverb amp, but with the ability to overdrive, or keep it clean. I used one with a Jaguar, and it seemed to tame the top end a bit. The built in reverb was respectable, but not in the ballpark of a tank.

Samurai wrote:

Agreed!

Page 1 of 1