Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink 1x15 cab help

Page 1 of 1

Any help would be appreciated. I’m considering buying this cab but don’t know model or era. Speaker has been replaced but other than that I’m stumped.

Forgot to mention it has the piggyback screws on top for a head.

Looks like a tone-ring cabinet. I don't think they made them past the mid 60's , though it could be a repro. Fender hardware and logos are easy to get. Google Fender Tone-Ring to find out more about it.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

It looks like a complex baffling but the grille cloth looks wrong to me. It looks saggy and the wrong color. My guess would be a repro. Is it cheap?

Craig Skelly

Little Kahuna
www.littlekahunamusic.com
The Breakaways
The Curl Riders

As far as I know, the specs of the original cab made by Fender require 4 braces on the back panel (for a 15"), not 3.
Otherwise it looks fine. If it's a good deal, take it, and fix the center brace.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022 01:40:45

Do you know what the dimensions are? Kind of looks like a recovered 1x12 tone ring where somebody took out the metal ring and put in a 15. Wouldn't be the first one!

The Echolette ET1 , ET100, ET4 Cap had 3 braces on the back panel

Fender made a seldom ordered Showman 1x12 tonering cabinet up until sometime in '64. I've seen black tolex,and smooth blonde ones. The earlier '60/63 Showman 1x12's have wider head thumbscrews.

Of course, Fender also made lots of 1x12" tone rings in '61 for Bassman and Bandmaster heads.
I think thumbscrew spacing in 1960-63 Brown panel rough blonde tolex amps was:
Showman 27"
Bandmaster 25"
Bassman 23"

The later black panel amp cabinet spacing was:
Showman and Bandmaster 25"
Bassman 23"

There was a short period where they used smooth blonde tolex, and gold grill cloth on some of the earliest black panel amps. Most of those date late '63, early '64. After that they went to the black tolex we usually associate with Black panel amps.

But, Fender didn't make 1x12 tonering cabinets for any amp but the Showman when the first Black panel amps were introduced. It was discontinued shortly after they went to black tolex.

My guess, this is a '64 black tolex 1x12 with newer grill cloth and a replaced logo. But, it could also be an earlier smooth blonde cabinet that has been recovered completely. It could even be a rough blonde cabinet for 60/61 that has been recovered(that would explain the logo)

The 12" speaker would blow, and a lot of guys would take the tonering out, and bolt a 15" speaker in its place. I've seen it a bunch online, and owned 2 of them.

I'd buy it for sure if the price was right.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

THank you to every body that has chimed in. It’s currently priced at $400, I haven’t purchased it yet, but will measure the piggyback screws and might remove the speaker if time allows.

Page 1 of 1