Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Strings for rhythm guitar?

Page 1 of 1

I play a strat and play the rythm guitar.
What gauges of string should I use?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022 20:31:41

.10's are good

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

The heaviest gauge strings your hands, fingers, and your guitar neck can handle. You need maximum sound with rhythm guitar. Don Wilson of the Ventures felt this way from articles I read over the years. Leave the string bending and lead guitar to the light gauge stuff. Your job as rhythm player is to pulse some real sound behind the lead guitar. The heavier the string, the more sound you will be able to provide.
J Mo'

Play with whatever allows you to do what you want musically and what fits the band's sound.

If you are a rhythm player that does a lot of counterpoint or nuanced playing, go lighter 9s, 10s.

If you are part of the engine room with the drums and bass, Johnny Mosrite's on point.

Joe Atkins, our wonderful rhythm guitar player with Reverb Galaxy, had 2-3 guitars at a show, strung differently, plus assorted pedals to help shape and color our music.

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022 17:28:08

ArtS wrote:

Play with whatever allows you to do what you want musically and what fits the band's sound.

If you are a rhythm player that does a lot of counterpoint or nuanced playing, go lighter 9s, 10s.

If you are part of the engine room with the drums and bass, Johnny Mosrite's on point.

Joe Atkins, our wonderful rhythm guitar player with Reverb Galaxy, had 2-3 guitars at a show, strung differently, plus assorted pedals to help shape and color our music.

Ok, I have never played this kind of music before. I'm going to join a band and was looking for some strings that should work with "everything" or at least something basic to start with.

Follow Johnny Mosrite, heavy strings.

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

Obviously string choice is very subjective and I'm not going to contradict JM and Art. However, if you find you don't like the thicker strings, don't feel it's a failure of any kind to go to thinner strings. Millions of players use .10's.

FWIW I play 12's and 13's and have so for many years. I started doing so because I felt my Jag/Jazzmasters responded better to the thick strings but eventually I've come to prefer them.

Danny Snyder

_

DannySnyder wrote:

Obviously string choice is very subjective and I'm not going to contradict JM and Art. However, if you find you don't like the thicker strings, don't feel it's a failure of any kind to go to thinner strings. Millions of players use .10's.

Danny's always on point. Ugh, now I sound like I'm waffling between Danny and Johnny.

Maybe this will help -
1) Are you an experienced player looking to get a traditional surf sound?
2) A less experienced player just looking for general tips?
3) What type of guitar do you have?

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

Is there a correct answer. Indeed it is both flavor and 'coming through'..
Fwiw..
I started out on rhythm guitar with d'addario 56's on it. Sounds very good, punchy, splashy,.. a lot of expression, let's say. After a set of an hour or more my hand and forearm was quite exhausted but maybe I wasn't trained enough. Anyway. Over the years after, I evolved to d'addario 52's and thomastik 50s. I use the thomastiks for over 10 years now. As I don't play lead that much, at least not in a band, I think they'd suit a rhythm guitar player very well. You (I) can handle the tension pretty long,they are very playable and keep the punchy and splashyness what you want or expect from the rhythm surf guitar. This is all my opinion of course.
In addition I must say the surfy Drip switch is a must have for the rhythm surf guitarist these days. Oh boy, I wish I had one of those back in the days. I had to dial in the reverb for some songs but a lot of the time I wanted to dial in IN the song. This could all be so simple with this great pedal. Mel and Surfy Industries, thank you for bringing this great invention to the crowd. Much appreciated!!
Having said this... Cheers, Andy

www.LosVenturas.be

Cheers Andy Cheers

Yes all you surf guitarists who don't know about the Drip Switch need to check it out.

I too struggled for years finding a good solution to needing 2 levels of reverb as the 2nd guitarist in a surf band. Who knew it would be my own bandmate Mel to come up with the genius way to do it. If only he thought of it 10 years earlier Big Grin

Danny Snyder

_

ArtS wrote:

DannySnyder wrote:

Danny's always on point. Ugh, now I sound like I'm waffling between Danny and Johnny.

Maybe this will help -
1) Are you an experienced player looking to get a traditional surf sound?
2) A less experienced player just looking for general tips?
3) What type of guitar do you have?

I’m more the number 1 guy.
For this purpose I have bought a stratocaster and a ”the Ventures” guitar.

Amp, guitar most important. Strings I'd suggest 11-12s, but see link below for prevous forums on this subject. Best of luck and remember if you feel the surf, you'll play the surf.

Link SG101 Forum 1

SG101 String Thread

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

Page 1 of 1