Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Harvester Grey Tigré

Page 1 of 1

A while ago I asked the very talented AP of Harvester to make me an instrument. He recently finished it, and it’ll likely ship soon (from Australia to the us.) He has a refreshing aesthetic that I trounced all over asking for this loud, chaotic thing, but I am amazed at the finished piece.

25” scale, 12” radius, It’s more sonic youth than surf, but I bet it’ll surf just fine.

Have a gander at his photos: http://www.harvesterguitars.com/completed/grey-tigre/

and if you don’t know of Harvester, check out his page or instagram.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021 23:07:07

Wow I love that thing! Yow! I’m super interested in that behind-the-bridge pickup. Cool colors too!

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

Wow I love that thing! Yow! I’m super interested in that behind-the-bridge pickup. Cool colors too!

Thanks! i chose the colors based on a temple in kyoto, but also audi and porsche colors. the circuit boards are from a small shop in japan AP visited a couple years back, so it’s got a lot of japan inspiration (hence the guyatone pickups)

i’ve always played a lot of noisy stuff. this is directly sonic youth inspired. there’s a switch to add it to the main circuit with a blend pot to blend full lipstick to full neck/bridge/both.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021 18:56:39

Amazing instrument, very original. I love all the details and the overall aesthetic. I'm a bit jelly.

Edit: I just looked at the other builds featured on his site, gotta say your's is the coolest of them all.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021 22:37:43

SandBug wrote:

Amazing instrument, very original. I love all the details and the overall aesthetic. I'm a bit jelly.

Edit: I just looked at the other builds featured on his site, gotta say your's is the coolest of them all.

thanks! I’m glad he entertained all of my ideas. anyone can have him build one, really. there’s more on his instagram. a few lovely teisco influenced ones lately.

his metal-neck Wandre-esque series intrigues me as does his harmony bobkat shaped 12 stringers. (plus, what other luthiers are putting 12 sympathetic strings inside of an electric guitar, lately?)

I appreciate his nods to lesser known guitar manufacturers.

In short, THAT'S AWESOME.

That is one fine looking instrument! I had to do a double take on the lipstick pickup. Awesome

AP is an incredible builder! A very cool axe!

Toneschaser wrote:

AP is an incredible builder! A very cool axe!

a 14 year dream come true. he’s got such great vision and taste. I’ve never played a harvester but I am sure it’ll be spectacular. you come across any in your travels/shops?

fuzzecho wrote:

That is one fine looking instrument! I had to do a double take on the lipstick pickup. Awesome

i’m a (mostly) recovered noise player. still love a blast of harmonic mess here and there.

At this point, I wanna hear it! I commented on the thread at 0SG, so I will just say that it is beautiful and I would really like to hear it. And noise is a-ok in my book!

Daniel Deathtide

IT IS FINALLY HERE. aaaand, it surfs! not the same kinda drip I get from a strat, jm, or jag (might be my tweed deluxe?), but it is chock full of wonderful tones and suits my usual playing SO much more (fingerpicked chord runs and harmonic noise).

harvester knows how to balance an instrument. it’s got quirks and I’m certain the weather wrought havoc on the finish going from AUS summer to a snowy NorCal winter…

but the FEEL and SOUND are exactly what I’d hoped for. super fast with 11s, nice flat mosrite radius, the mastery bridge is a change from my usual staytrem, the mastery vibrato isn’t anywhere near as great as it costs: broke a high e at the ball/winding within 2 hours, another immediately after (burr in the hole) and the relative pitch isn’t any better than a fender. that said, it performs as good as my modern fender units, so overall win! the bridge is fine and dandy though.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021 11:40:42

That is one of the coolest instruments i've ever seen. Congratulations on owning that amazing guitar! It fits in perfectly with all the rest of the gear that I've seen you post. Too cool!

here’s a terrible video after unboxing to show the controls. the behind the bridge pickup is quiet, of course, so i would use a boost pedal to really grab these crazy almost steel drum harmonics.

harvester into 6g15 and tweed deluxe clones I built. neck, middle, bridge. then switch on lipstick, and blend from full gold foils all the way to full lipstick.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021 13:03:35

The behind the bridge pickup sounds cool! When I experimented with putting one on one of my guitars, it was just kind of plinky sounding, not creating any really interesting sounds like yours.

That sounds amazing.

Very cool. Great looks, great specs, I hope you enjoy it!

Page 1 of 1