Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
114 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
1 day ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Reverb Demos - (Not so) Friendly Suggestions

Page 1 of 1

I come across various reverb demos here and other places online. Excuse the "not as polite/PC/kind as it should be" tone, but I feel there are some points to be made that are relevant to SURF MUSIC context. I feel that, at least here, in our specific community dedicated to Surf music, people wanting to showcase certain pedals, units, and pans should at least try to demo using playing techniques that are relevant to Surf.
So:
If you are going to demonstrate/compare/test reverb/units/pedals/pans in a Surf music context, here are some basic suggestions.
Guitar signal chain: guitar->reverb->amp->speaker
Guitar techniques:
Use a pick (plectrum). If you play fingerstyle, good for you, but skip that for the demo please.
Please cover (at least) these three different phrases/styles:
Palm-muted single-note rhythm - example: Movin' as recorded by The Astronauts from Colorado.
Double picking (tremolo picking) on the lowest (thickest) string - example: Misirlou as recorded by Dick Dale (obviously, but there are others similar)
Minor chord (let's say low E) with vibrato arm dip at the end (countless examples)
Please avoid the temptation to include your bluesy licks or your punky power chord riffs.

The usual disclaimers apply:
Not a personal attack on any specific person or video
I don't consider myself a great guitarist
In my current band, the live tone I use is drier than what I would use in a trad surf band.

/end rant

Ran

The Scimitars

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021 15:09:11

Amen.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

I agree.

For example: A slightly different issue, I think that reverb episode from JHS pedals with that guy from 60cycle hum was awful, but i guess that's just what's popular. And I'm sure those guys don't care if i (or anyone for that matter) like it or not, they're getting paid no matter what. It was ridiculous hearing those guys laughing about how the Bel-Airs split up, oversimplifying it down to use of reverb. SMH

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021 03:34:13

I would add that the guitar signal should be clean (or at most at the point of breakup or just mildly overdriven). Heavy overdrive or distortion can mask what you want to hear, though additional riffs doen with fuzz would be helpful for evaluating spaghetti western sound potential.

This is a peeve of mine not just with reverb demos, but with guitar and amp demos as well - cranking things through amp or pedal to get generic heavy rock/metal tones doesn't tell us mcuh about what the guitar or amp really sounds like.

Agreed on the clean or rather "cleanish" tone, I tried to address that by the signal chain suggestion, but I guess some people would manage to coax an oversaturated tone with the amp or the guitar pickups...

Now don't get me started on Bass VI and Baritone demo videos that only show the high notes...

The Scimitars

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021 10:21:31

Page 1 of 1