Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink What's the word on Kay 710 Spring Reverbs'?

Page 1 of 1

One popped up on my local Craigslist, never heard any thing about them - and google doesn't yield me too fantastic of results. Wondering if any of you guys' out there have had the chance to toy with, or hear these. I might offer the guy a 100 bucks just to check the thing out... What's it worth anyway?

I think it's worth a good deal more if it's serviceable. Premier gear is not constructed very robustly – they typically left a lot of components 'flying', unlike Leo who had everything nailed down to breadboards for stability. But the components were pretty much the same, just poorly engineered. Alternative reverb units can still sound good (esp. when serviced – caps dry out, etc.) I bought a Gibson Reverb III a long time ago on Ebay and it's pretty good. Doesn't 'drip' like the Astronauts but then neither do a lot of extant Fender units out there. I played a rebuilt blonde unit at Norman's Rare guitars last month and was not sold on its tone. And the new 'reissues' are not even the same circuit as the originals, so I don't see how they can really sound like the old ones do – but then many of the old ones don't sound like they should.

Squink Out!

JObeast wrote:

And the new 'reissues' are not even the same circuit as the originals

How so? It's the same basic circuit, with some components changed because of availability (e.g. the 6V6 instead of the 6K6). It is constructed differently (PCB) but the circuit is still the same in the important respects.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I guess it's essentially electronically the same (I'm not a tech), but it's not identical. The construction technique, sources of parts, and the noted tube substitution make for what is, in my opinion a different beast. Not that it matters – if it pleases the ear, amen. As I wrote, I did not find the very old unit at the shop all that great and would keep looking until I found one that sounded right.

Squink Out!

To get back on topic, these things are pretty rare. To my knowledge they have never been discussed on SG101. There is a thread on another forum (but it's mostly guys just being irritated at each other -- hmmm sounds familiar):

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/242321-anybody-tried-kay-710-reverb-unit.html

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013 11:40:46

JObeast wrote:

I guess it's essentially electronically the same (I'm not a tech), but it's not identical. The construction technique, sources of parts, and the noted tube substitution make for what is, in my opinion a different beast.

That stuff matters more or less to some degree, but to say they use a different circuit is wrong.

The word is I want one! Heck even if it doesn't sound good, it could be displayed as art. Plenty of people spend money on big paintings, think of it as a working sculpture Yes

hi to everyone. my first message to the forum....I recently buy one kay 710 recap the 4 ekectrolytics and sounds amazing.the only problem I have is that when I fully open the potentiometer to 10 I don't get a full 100 % wet signal but somewhere 40 %. it supposed from the manual that it you open it full you will get only reverb .I change the potentiometer ( 10 kohm) with 100 kohm just to see if increases the reverb but nothing change.can someone you has the knowledge from the schematics tell me what maybe is wrong?? maybe some bad germanium transistors made something about that?? maybe cause one from the four capacitors I change is not the correct mF? the cap with 150mf I change it with 220mf.. maybe this cause that problem? any information it would be welcome

Best reverb unit ever, imho! Winfield amps Tsunami Reverb, if you are serious about drip,tone, and superb quality!
Drip on,
Curmudgeon

Page 1 of 1