Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink mastery bridge

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

JakeDobner wrote:

PROPERLY SET UP/MAINTAINED GUITARS DON'T LOOSE SCREWS. That is, check to make sure the screws are situated tightly every now and then. If a screw on a bridge saddle is uneven with the other, it is going to come out.

I don't want to side with the Mastery bashers (though I am literally a mastery basher, like Nels Cline) but I don't think the above statement is true. When I got my bridge, I had it installed the same time I got my new Fender Jazzmaster neck** by an excellent guitar tech in San Francisco. Within a few weeks I noticed a funny sound and discovered my low E intonation screw was gone. I contacted Mastery and they sent a new one out right away. It hasn't happened again, but it does counter what Jake says. Sometimes shit happens.

** My tech noticed a slight warp in the neck that was not a truss rod issue but a manufacturing defect, and he was able to get Fender to send me a new one and install it for free. it was a 2001 AVRI and it happened in 2010 I think. Well done Fender!

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

tremstay it is... thanks for the insite and opions, now i can get the bridge and a bone nut instead of just the mastery, whats everyones thought on upgrading the trem...?

toddr513 wrote:

whats everyones thought on upgrading the trem...?

Staytrem trem arm is the best mod ever! Seriously, not just because it makes the arm stay in place, but because the snug fit of the insert on the arm gives you such fine control. It allows a control and subtleness not present with the original arm & slot. Plus its only like $40. For me, it is a "must have" mod on all of my offsets.

Also, John from StayTrem is an absolute pleasure to deal with. Fast shipping, good prices, excellent product, etc!

josheboy wrote:

toddr513 wrote:

whats everyones thought on upgrading the trem...?

Staytrem trem arm is the best mod ever! Seriously, not just because it makes the arm stay in place, but because the snug fit of the insert on the arm gives you such fine control. It allows a control and subtleness not present with the original arm & slot. Plus its only like $40. For me, it is a "must have" mod on all of my offsets.

Also, John from StayTrem is an absolute pleasure to deal with. Fast shipping, good prices, excellent product, etc!

ya was thinking about that but i have a classic player and i know they put the trem closer to the bridge on those guitars was wondering if the arm would be to long...and was thinking of the mastery offset but when i called and talked to the guy who designed it, it was like i was bugging him, he didnt want to answer any of my ?s and was being a dick so thats out....i hate that i am ready to give you 200 hundred bucks the least you could do is give me 10 minutes of your time

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014 14:40:35

toddr513 wrote:

ya was thinking about that but i have a classic player...

Off topic, but when I replaced the screw-in arm/collet with a push-in on my CPJM two years ago, I bent the arm (using a bench vise or door hinge)as described by Eddie and others here and its been working great ever since.

Funny, I also lost a screw when I had the mastery. Maybe its a normal issue with those. But you are right, they immediatly shipped me a new one, which is really good. After I installed the new screw, I sold the mastery.

http://www.reverbnation.com/bangmustang
http://www.facebook.com/bangmustang
https://soundcloud.com/bang-mustang

LaFleur wrote:

After I installed the new screw, I sold the mastery.

Haaahaaaa!!! Welcome in the Mastery screw loosers club.

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014 10:01:14

ya kinda shitty to pay 200 bucks and loose a screw deff overpriced

It's a fairly expensive upgrade but well worth the money if it works. I assume they are pretty much machined by hand, stainless steel isn't the easiest metal to work with and will shorten the life of cutting tools quickly. I doubt if they make the screws themselves so the loose issue could be down to suppliers, perhaps they used a new suppler who's parts differ from their taps and dyes. Hopefully the problem has been solved by now.

You Germans should know how great some of your cars were in the 70s and 80s but it took them some time to understand mass production in the 90s - they were some faults!!

Fuck off german cars!
My best car was 1962 Ford Taunus and a 1974 Kadett.
Now I like Mazda a lot!

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

So I picked up a Mastery for my Jag. With so many people swearing by them, I'd figure I'd at least give it a shot.

My first impression is that it definitely improved the overall feel when compared to the mustang bridge I had on there. It really makes the wood vibrate and resonate better, which might not be a vintage correct thing, but is a good thing for a Jaguar, I think. The bright jangly Jag tones seem thicker and more substantial with the full body and neck vibrating behind it. Of course, some people think that wood doesn't matter and tone is all in the pickups, but I can definitely feel the difference.

It wasn't a pain to set up, and it looks like there's loctite already on the screws (perhaps they got tired of sending people replacement screws). It intonated very easily, and setting the radius was a breeze. I will re-measure everything after a week or so of playing to see if it stays put or if I will need to keep changing it.

The biggest benefit of the Staytrem bridge (which I am still very happy with on my JazzMaster) is that once I set it, it stays. I installed a StayTrem bridge on my main JM more than 2 years ago and the intonation and height are still perfect. No rattling. No string slips. No adjustments needed. And a great tone piece for sure.

The Mastery definitely feels like a big upgrade at this time. It even feels worth the money. But I reserve my "this is the best" judgement until I have much more play time and a few gigs with it under my belt. If I lose screws or have to spend more than a few minutes adjusting it with every string change, then I will most likely sell it and get a StayTrem. We shall see!

But for now, it's a really good bridge that makes my Jag feel/sound better. I sure hope so... $200 for a hunk of metal and screws aint nothing to sneeze at.

Are they really $200 these days? Jeebus...

Mastery over Staytrem for tone for me. Sounds closer to the original bridge.

The Staytrem is bullet proof though. My Mastery bridges lower overtime if I didn't tighten them correctly.

HallmarkSweptWinger wrote:

Fuck off german cars!

Big Grin

Tone is subjective, what works for some doesn't always work for others so there's no real point of an I'm right, he's wrong type of conversation to be taking place here.
I've installed a good number of both on my customers guitars in my repair shop and had often leaned towards the Staytrem because it has a more traditional appearance.
BUT I bought an AVRI Jazzmaster last year that had already been retrofitted with a Mastery and I must say it's a fantastic piece. Very well machined and an innovative design. It's a higher end bridge for sure, and they are very consistent in the materials from piece to piece. I've noticed that the Staytrem varies in in terms of the metal they use. Some seem better/cleaner than others. Maybe they have an inconsistent source they buy from.

Mastery has long since solved the slipping screw issue so for those who are still dealing with it drop Mastery a line and they'll send you out a replacement set free of charge.

Keep in mind that either bridge will change the stock tone slightly but in both cases I feel it's for the better. I credit better coupling all around.
If you've got a smartphone download the IAnalyzer app and use it to track the differences in the parts sonically. It's interesting which frequencies change the most.

I got a small packet of screws from Woody, only needed to replace the 2 main ones so far.
I can confirm that the new screws from Mastery work as advertised. It's as good as it gets.

Any tips on how to set up a mastery bridge on a jag so the mute doesn’t push the strings out of tune by a quarter note?

frank1985 wrote:

Any tips on how to set up a mastery bridge on a jag so the mute doesn’t push the strings out of tune by a quarter note?

I'd try contacting Mastery about compatibility. I think most users remove the mute.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3