Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink New vs. Old. What kinda surf do you prefer?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Hiwatters wrote:

a bit of hair as they say...

This. Musically, I like both old and new but I tend to favor more lofi production. There are bands that make amazing recordings with super slick drum tracking and guitars with chorus/phasor/tons of distortion but it's just not what presses my buttons in a surf sound.

I listened to a couple Strange Waters tracks and like the approach! The almost antiphonal use of the two guitars is really effective. I'm looking forward to spending some time with the rest of this. Thank you for sharing.

Premiere Single Out Now! - Keep On Running
Psychic Chime - Instagram
Psychic Chime - Twitter
Professional Website (film-scoring)

Koby wrote:

Synchro, you are awesome. I appreciate it. Hope you dig it. Thanks.

This has been a busy week at work, and I haven't had a chance to listen, until jus now. I would like to compliment your band on its sound, You have avoided the pitfalls and come across with what I would call a very solid sound. Having been around when Surf was first hitting the waves, I find this a please sound that both honors and builds upon the '60s sound.Great tunes.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

synchro wrote:

Koby wrote:

This has been a busy week at work, and I haven't had a chance to listen, until jus now. I would like to compliment your band on its sound, You have avoided the pitfalls and come across with what I would call a very solid sound. Having been around when Surf was first hitting the waves, I find this a please sound that both honors and builds upon the '60s sound.Great tunes.

Thanks for the kind words, my friend. Glad you like it.

Koby wrote:

synchro wrote:

Koby wrote:

Thanks for the kind words, my friend. Glad you like it.

Great material and an absolutely great sound.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

BB_Bunny wrote:

Hiwatters wrote:

a bit of hair as they say...

This. Musically, I like both old and new but I tend to favor more lofi production. There are bands that make amazing recordings with super slick drum tracking and guitars with chorus/phasor/tons of distortion but it's just not what presses my buttons in a surf sound.

I listened to a couple Strange Waters tracks and like the approach! The almost antiphonal use of the two guitars is really effective. I'm looking forward to spending some time with the rest of this. Thank you for sharing.

Sorry I missed your comment before, but thanks for the compliments. The two guitar thing is something we love doing. And we have a lot more of it on the new album (Deep Dive) that drops Friday. Should be on all streaming services and, of course, our Bandcamp site if you're interested.

Thanks again, my friend.

Not quite new but not the roots. Based on my listening habits I prefer surf music from the early to mid 90s. To my ears bands playing surf music then fit into the greater indie rock scene in an un-self conscious explorative way. It gave the bands a unique quality. Some of which is the result of the recording practices of the time. It’s not the same as the primitive charm of a garage band rocking out around one mic like 1961 (which I also dig like Hiwatters said) but little indie bands recording in small pro studios on tape with limited budgets resulted in some lively mid-fi sounding records (I’m thinking of Estrus Records type stuff, The Galaxy Trio being a favorite who didn’t make enough records during their brief run). These days it is easy to over process recordings.

The Vicissitones
Diesel Marine
The Rasputones

I have kinda struck the middle ground. Bands like The Eliminators and The Atlantics that straddle a classic, older surf sound yet with modern recording. Well, to my ear anyway. YMMV

https://www.facebook.com/lostremoleros/

Goto Page: Previous 1 2