Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Spring reverb question- mechanics

Page 1 of 1

I'm comparing a TM DR at our local store (new) vs a '68 Deluxe Reverb reissue yesterday and I noticed that the TM is a lot 'splashier/bouncier' than the '68. The 68 is used. I was playing pretty quiet because I was more interested in which one sounded springier. I know there is a firmware update for the TM to tone down the reverb a bit.

The reverb on the '68 DR was kinda weak, even when turned up all the way. I checked the connections from the tank to the chassis and they were secure. Because I was playing quiet (like, 2 on the DR) would that affect the spring sound-aka is a spring reverb tank excited by more volume or is it strictly based on what level is set on the reverb knob? Im trying to figure out the difference I'm hearing because Ive listened to a lot of testing videos of tube DR's and many of them seem to have more splash/almost drip to them than what I was hearing. The '68 is a floor model that was returned, for 799 with a Celestion V-type speaker. The TMDR is its regular price and also with a Celstion and I'm kinda torn between the two. I want to save money, but I don't want an obsolete amp in 5 yrs- I've had a SuperChanmp X2 for several years and feel really burned by the way Fender handled that amp platform.

I don't gig or anything, and I have an attenuator for home use if I need it. I just want that splashy bouncy sound that I hear others get with a DR and no pedals or outboard when they play a DR (Andy,for example, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeDr7u_hwGA)

Thoughts? Pre-amp tube? Try a different RCA cable? Replace the tank with a MOD or something similar? Or, just get the TM, which costs 100.00 + tax more and call it a day? I love the sound of the TMDR, but a regular DR should sound similar, right? That's the idea, after all.

Have you tried a ‘65 Deluxe Reverb tube version? I played the 68 DR and didn’t like it compared to the 65. The 65 tube version’s reverb is very splashy to me and sounds better to me in my opinion than the 68’s reverb. I think Fender is trying to push the new 68s more than the 65 reissues. To me the 68s are darker, but then again all I’m used to always playing is the 65 reissues with Jensens.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021 12:59:11

Alathea_Squared wrote:

I'm comparing a TM DR at our local store (new) vs a '68 Deluxe Reverb reissue yesterday and I noticed that the TM is a lot 'splashier/bouncier' than the '68. The 68 is used. I was playing pretty quiet because I was more interested in which one sounded springier. I know there is a firmware update for the TM to tone down the reverb a bit.

The reverb on the '68 DR was kinda weak, even when turned up all the way. I checked the connections from the tank to the chassis and they were secure. Because I was playing quiet (like, 2 on the DR) would that affect the spring sound-aka is a spring reverb tank excited by more volume or is it strictly based on what level is set on the reverb knob? Im trying to figure out the difference I'm hearing because Ive listened to a lot of testing videos of tube DR's and many of them seem to have more splash/almost drip to them than what I was hearing. The '68 is a floor model that was returned, for 799 with a Celestion V-type speaker. The TMDR is its regular price and also with a Celstion and I'm kinda torn between the two. I want to save money, but I don't want an obsolete amp in 5 yrs- I've had a SuperChanmp X2 for several years and feel really burned by the way Fender handled that amp platform.

I don't gig or anything, and I have an attenuator for home use if I need it. I just want that splashy bouncy sound that I hear others get with a DR and no pedals or outboard when they play a DR (Andy,for example, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeDr7u_hwGA)

Thoughts? Pre-amp tube? Try a different RCA cable? Replace the tank with a MOD or something similar? Or, just get the TM, which costs 100.00 + tax more and call it a day? I love the sound of the TMDR, but a regular DR should sound similar, right? That's the idea, after all.

The ‘68 CDR has a Custom channel, with a tone stack quite similar to the Normal channel of a Super Reverb, or a Blonde Bassman. It’s a midrange amp. The Second channel on the ‘68 CDR, is much like the Vibrato channel on a 65 DRRI, except … it doesn’t have the C10 “Bright Cap”. You could make the ‘68 CDR have all of the same sparkle as a 65 DRRI, by adding a .047 PFD capacitor across the two ungrounded terminals of the volume pot for the second channel. The TM probably already has a bright cap.

One more thought is that the reverb cables which came stock on my ‘68 CDR, were junk! Awful! Noisy! Cheap garbage. Replacing these did a world of good.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Page 1 of 1