Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Quilter Superblock US and UK amps

Page 1 of 1

Has anyone had the pleasure of trying one of those new Quilter Superblock amps? They have a US version with 3 voices (blonde, tweed, and blackface), and a UK version with a Marshall JMP, AC30, and AC30 topboost.

Really curious about these. I would like to maybe get the UK version for a change of pace and wonder how the AC30 voices will be for surf with a SurfyBear. I think a good bit of surf guys use Vox amps, so I don't think it's too out there to go that way.

In any case, they look pretty great. 25w (tube watt equiv they say), $250, direct outs, compact form factor, effects loop, reverb, built in limiter. They pack a lot in for the price.

I haven't, but am going to pick a US one up in the near future for some fly in shows (non surf)where I need to plug in directly to the sound system. That's when flying and live shows happen again...

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Cool. My uses are purely recording studio and enjoyment. Might be a surf band together again at some point. Looking at them both, the solid/smart move is the US version. I get my rockin' sounds elsewhere. This thing will primarily be used with Fender guitar and old school surfy tones, so the three American voices seem to be just the ticket.

I'm very tempted by the Fender version. I'd find a use for all three voices. Currently I'm still finding a similar use for the joyo Americana. So it may be a bit of an indulgence. Hooking it up to a funky speaker box and being ready to play would be mighty fine

These sound tempting. The US version seems to cover the same territory as their Aviator Cub amp. That amp is a combo with 50 watts, but costs $350 more - that's quite a mark-up for a speaker, a cabinet, and some more power. Seems they have intentionally limited the Superblock to 25 watts so that it wouldn't compete with the Aviator Cub.

Good point about the Aviator and the volume difference. Obviously the original amps had no gain control beyond the volume. I've often found the 'gain' affects the overall volume, so does 25w reflect the real world volume before the heavy rock dude enters the room?
edwardsand wrote:

These sound tempting. The US version seems to cover the same territory as their Aviator Cub amp. That amp is a combo with 50 watts, but costs $350 more - that's quite a mark-up for a speaker, a cabinet, and some more power. Seems they have intentionally limited the Superblock to 25 watts so that it wouldn't compete with the Aviator Cub.

I really wanted to grab one of these. I loved RJ's demo of the US but then saw his demo of the OD202 and decided that was the one for me.

Well, gee, I happen to have BOTH (it helps that Pat Q is my big brother!). First off, don't let the 25w fool you. These are LOUD, especially through a good speaker. I have started using the US version as a recording platform for a new Reventlo album, and am just knocked out by the audio quality, speaker or no speaker. The UK version is a whole different animal. Super high-gain vibe. I was able to cop a VERY convincing LP Jr.-through-a-Marshall tone, a la Mott the Hoople, using an old silver Vox 12" speaker, should that sound float anyone's boat. The US version really is that good, IMO. Could be my favorite new Quilter Labs product. For the price, no reason not to grab one. You will find a use for it.

(Plus one on the OD202 also! My current go-to for live and loud, should we ever get back to big concerts).

I got a US on order from Thomann. Tax and import duties are nasty due to stupid Brexit. Looking forward to recording with it an am planning on hooking it up to speakers in various combos that I have already.
Finding it hard to find a speaker lead with jack on one end, two clips on the other. Not spades though due to terminals being soldered. Any clues?

My Superblock US arrives today. Any thoughts on how it takes pedals, maybe the El Pescadoro for just a bit of room reverb and Chess studio vibe

I'm thinking of painting it pink and using it in the bath

Vince_Ray wrote:

Well...what do you think of it?
I am on the fence about ordering one. I especially like the '61 setting from the videos on YT. Tells us the verdict.

_

Hi, I'm Gellert, guitarist for The Fintastics.

https://www.facebook.com/TheFintastics

I assumed the conversation here had dried up so I didn't add anything. But yes, I do like the pedal. All three settings work for me. There's not a lot of gain available but I like that. It's good for a little break up. I use it on a 1w setting and it's plenty loud at home and for recording. I unhook speakers in my combos and have enjoyed trying different speakers. I like single speaker sounds these days and it seems happy with my wee Ted Weber signature.
Reverb is OK but obviously aficionados here will use their own. I use the tweed settings most but I am playing old stompy blues stuff at the moment. So the 61 for surf isn't really something I've given lots of attention to

TheFintastics wrote:*

Vince_Ray wrote:

Well...what do you think of it?
I am on the fence about ordering one. I especially like the '61 setting from the videos on YT. Tells us the verdict.

Just thinking more about the 61 setting. Some folks have said it's bright (it is) but that's probably apparent when switching from a tweed setting. Plus it's a little tighter and more strident reflecting the sold state rectifier vs valve and also the 6L6 vs 6v6 tubes. I say adjust the tone settings to suit. I briefly tried the Mystery Brain preamp/delay and tried some Stray Cat tomfoolery and yes, it had the Setzer thing. Not sure that's a sound I find easy to play with,, it's very 'in your face' and a little unforgiving. Cool though, Stray Cat Strut is always fun. Let me know if there's es anything in the 61 setting that you'd like me to try

Last edited: Jun 09, 2021 00:37:57

Page 1 of 1