Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Issues with decay of modern reverb pans

Page 1 of 1

Hello everybody.

I think we all know that modern reverb pans have a much longer decay than the pans of the 60s.

Like many, I bought an Accutronics 4AB3C1B (long decay) for my Surfybear kit and while it sounds great, the decay is too long for my tastes. It just makes the guitar sound too distant and fast passages a big mess. Unfortunately Accutronics doesn't make the same pan with medium or short decay so after watching as many videos I could I bought a MOD 4AB1C1B (short decay).

Well I just threw 30+ Euros down the drain because not only is its decay not shorter than the long decay pan, it's actually longer. More precisely, the decay length is the same as the Accutronics 4AB3C1B but the reverb tail is compressed, so it lacks a bit of drippy attack and it's much fatter, i.e. it stays louder longer.

Getting a vintage pan or springs is out of the question, especially here in Europe, so the question for you guys is how do I shorten the decay on these pans? I tried using pieces of foam but the results are unpredictable and they degrade the sound too much.

Also, why are vintage pans better than modern ones? How's it possible that our technology keeps getting better but music technology keeps getting worse?!

Thanks in advance, I'm sure this is a common issue among us surf guys.

Anybody ever take the springs from a new and vintage pan and compare their characteristics, especially the spring constants? Anybody ever put vintage springs in a modern pan and vice versa and compare results back to original pans?

If I'd stop buying old guitars to fix, I might actually learn to play.
Bringing instruments back to life since 2013.

ldk wrote:

Anybody ever take the springs from a new and vintage pan and compare their characteristics, especially the spring constants? Anybody ever put vintage springs in a modern pan and vice versa and compare results back to original pans?

Yes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QePZQz1u9dg

This is the video that convinced me to buy the MOD 4AB1C1B but mine has a much longer decay.

Yeah, modern pans of all types are total crap. It's a weird, unfortunate, and mysterious situation. But why is getting a vintage one out of the question when they're all over ebay?

From my own experiments, I've found that input and output impedance doesn't seem to affect the sound or functionality very much so it is possible to get away with a pan that was not intended for a Fender unit (like one for an organ.)

Redfeather wrote:

Yeah, modern pans of all types are total crap. It's a weird, unfortunate, and mysterious situation. But why is getting a vintage one out of the question when they're all over ebay?

From my own experiments, I've found that input and output impedance doesn't seem to affect the sound or functionality very much so it is possible to get away with a pan that was not intended for a Fender unit (like one for an organ.)

Because all vintage pans are in the US and between shipping and import tax I'd end up paying at least 50% more. Not to mention the gamble of buying a pan that might not work well, be noisy or have the wrong impedances - I don't know enough about electronics to be able to predict whether or not a pan will work with the Surfybear. I know I need 8 Ohm for the input impedance, what if a pan had 600 Ohms?

Don’t be sad... maybe you all just wait a little longer and Surfy Industries solves your problems. Not too long actually... but I will not say anything more now.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

surferjoemusic wrote:

Don’t be sad... maybe you all just wait a little longer and Surfy Industries solves your problems. Not too long actually... but I will not say anything more now.

You tease, Lorenzo.

Los Fantasticos

Surfy had that experimental unit with a decay knob on it back in the early days--perhaps that's finally coming to production..

In the meantime, you could try running a piece of string down the middle of your springs to dampen them a bit.

Last edited: May 06, 2021 12:01:47

andare wrote:

Yes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QePZQz1u9dg

This is the video that convinced me to buy the MOD 4AB1C1B but mine has a much longer decay.

That’s a very informative video—thanks to Mel. I lined up the recordings in a DAW so I could listen to snippets head to head. In addition to the modern pans sounding more cavernous, they also cut a lot of high frequencies. The modern pan with vintage springs brought back most of these frequencies, but not all.

If I'd stop buying old guitars to fix, I might actually learn to play.
Bringing instruments back to life since 2013.

I agree that Mel's video is very useful. Personally, I liked the modern short-decay AB1 pan and the vintage long-decay AB3 pan best by a significant margin. The modern long-decay pan is pretty overwhelming, but probably cool if you want an almost underwater sound. The only one I didn't care for was the modern pan with vintage springs. It sounded too dry to me - I assume he had things pretty cranked. I want more when I crank the reverb.

But the thing is that this is all subject to personal taste, and also subject to application. Not all music is created alike, not even all surf music. There are times I like a real drenched reverb sound. But for most stuff, I prefer more definition.

Over the last 10 years, I have bought several modern pans with both short and long decay, and my experience is that the shorter decay pans have had a noticably shorter decay. The last time I bought any was a few years ago, so maybe QC has gone to hell since then. But I said this on another thread - for me, reverb pans have always been a bit of a crapshoot going back 30-40 years. I have always had to sort through a few pans to find one I like in a particular reverb unit or amp, and I guess that's the other thing - the reverb unit or amp make a difference too. At least that's my experience.

The Delverados - surf, punk, trash, twang - Facebook
Chicken Tractor Deluxe - hardcore Americana - Facebook and Website
The Telegrassers - semi-electric bluegrass/Americana - Facebook

DaveMudgett wrote:

I agree that Mel's video is very useful. Personally, I liked the modern short-decay AB1 pan and the vintage long-decay AB3 pan best by a significant margin. The modern long-decay pan is pretty overwhelming, but probably cool if you want an almost underwater sound. The only one I didn't care for was the modern pan with vintage springs. It sounded too dry to me - I assume he had things pretty cranked. I want more when I crank the reverb.

But the thing is that this is all subject to personal taste, and also subject to application. Not all music is created alike, not even all surf music. There are times I like a real drenched reverb sound. But for most stuff, I prefer more definition.

Over the last 10 years, I have bought several modern pans with both short and long decay, and my experience is that the shorter decay pans have had a noticably shorter decay. The last time I bought any was a few years ago, so maybe QC has gone to hell since then. But I said this on another thread - for me, reverb pans have always been a bit of a crapshoot going back 30-40 years. I have always had to sort through a few pans to find one I like in a particular reverb unit or amp, and I guess that's the other thing - the reverb unit or amp make a difference too. At least that's my experience.

I agree with you that the reverb unit/amp changes the sound of the pan. Makes sense as it is the driver.
The modern short decay sounded great in that video, a nice short decay with a dark but pleasant drip. However with my Surfybear kit the decay is too long and overwhelming.

I actually solved my issue for now. I taped a small piece of foam to the piece of foamboard that I use to close the bottom of my Accutronics long decay pan and now I have drip with a subtler decay.

Hey, glad to see my video demo has been somewhat helpful. At the beginning of the video, you can see I had the settings on my tank at the usual 6-6-6, so there's more drip to be had.

Damping the springs with foam or tissue is a good option. I have no idea what Lorenzo has cooking, but I have to imagine it'll be impressive from such a connoisseur of drip.

So how do you "dampen" if you wouldn't mind sharing. I put some very light plastic bag on the springs and it almost sounded like slapback echo and not in a pleasing way. Like stuttered echo with chatter. Where or what or how are you applying the tissue? Thanks in advance

Peace to you, not on you

Diggey wrote:

So how do you "dampen" if you wouldn't mind sharing. I put some very light plastic bag on the springs and it almost sounded like slapback echo and not in a pleasing way. Like stuttered echo with chatter. Where or what or how are you applying the tissue? Thanks in advance

My pans are horizontal mount, bottom side open.

I cut a piece of foamboard the size of the pan's footprint. Smack in the middle of it I taped a strip of foam (actually from a sponge for cleaning cars). It's about 0.5 cm thick, 2 cm wide and as long as the shorter side of the spring pan. I secured the foamboard to the pan using two elastic bands, with the strip of foam lightly pressing against the springs.

My Accutronics 4AB3C1B is very bright, has a lot of drip and the decay, while too long, is a concave shape. Therefore my damper is enough to reduce the decay to a manageable length without sacrificing any of the drip.

My MOD pan is darker, has slightly less drip and the decay is a convex shape, so with the foam damper it might sound too dark. YMMV

i keep watching ebay for some old pans to try out, but never manage to see any. i thought my '99 fender reverb unit pan was surprisingly good. I sold the whole reverb unit to someone on here and regret it.

the belton in the 6g15 I built is pretty good, but not as great as it could be, and I agree on the decay.

i do not like the Mod pans whatsoever.

Last edited: May 09, 2021 17:48:23

cosmonaut wrote:

i keep watching ebay for some old pans to try out, but never manage to see any. i thought my '99 fender reverb unit pan was surprisingly good. I sold the whole reverb unit to someone on here and regret it.

the belton in the 6g15 I built is pretty good, but not as great as it could be, and I agree on the decay.

I posted this many years ago, perhaps it still holds true?

https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/7914/?page=1#p150236

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

DannySnyder wrote:

cosmonaut wrote:

I posted this many years ago, perhaps it still holds true?

https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/7914/?page=1#p150236

yep. i read that when you posted it, and I agree. just finally in the position to look for some old pans.

From back in 2009:
DannySnyder wrote:

MissingLink
Has anyone found out exactly what is different about the newer Accutronics pans? There seems to be a consensus that older is better (gee, that's a shocker), but I've had a look in my RI's pan and there ain't much in there; a limited number of possible culprits, in other words. Is it the springs' length, the type of metal used, different transducers, or what?

It's still a mystery to me. Older doesn't mean better, it means the odds are higher of finding a better one. There are great sounding newer ones and really dull sounding old ones. Measuring with a meter doesn't help, you have to plug them in and listen. I use an old stereo equipment switching unit with 4 sets of rca jacks to compare them easily.

That is my experience also. I have a box with a few non-working old pans. I have, in the past, occasionally been able to rehabilitate maybe 1 out of 3 or 4 of them by cannibalizing parts from one or more to get one working pan. For me, frequently the problem has been one of the wires to the transformers coming loose. They're very delicate and require a deft touch to re-solder. I have a friend who is better at it that me, so I generally give them to him.

But I agree with this idea - the magic is in the pan. Or maybe, the magic is in the magic pan. Analog refuses to obey the rules of the digital age! (Speaking as a primarily analog electrical engineer, and musician.)

The Delverados - surf, punk, trash, twang - Facebook
Chicken Tractor Deluxe - hardcore Americana - Facebook and Website
The Telegrassers - semi-electric bluegrass/Americana - Facebook

Page 1 of 1