Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink 6g14 without reverb?

Page 1 of 1

Hey guys,

im looking for a recording of the highly prized blonde fender showman amp 6g14 only with no 6g15 reverb unit, i would like a frame of reference as im working on shaping my tone, these are so rare in the UK i cant get into any music store for a play. The reverb seems to add a lot and would love to hear it stripped away leaving the bare bones of the showman amp tone.

If i had the chance to hear the tone before and after the 6g15 reverb is added would be amazing

After using a real 6g14A and a 6g14 clone, the 6g14 is the clean tone I prefer. (I also have a 6g8A and it sounds almost identical to the 6g14A.) The A circuit is very clean and mellow, whereas the 6g14 is raw and beefy, and noisy. Someday I hope to get a real 6g14, but for now I'm using a Carl's clone. It set me back about $2200 a few years ago, and I am over the moon with its tone.

The tank definitely steals lots of freqs, too many for me. It also dirties it up. So I use the 6g14A for reverb (which sounds brilliant because it's a little too clean by itself for me), and the 6g14 for the clean. You are dead right about that in my opinion! In many Phantom Surfers songs, the lead has barely any reverb and those are the tracks that have that insane tone. Yep, 6g14 is way better for me than 6g14A.

I kind of suck, but what types of recordings are you looking for? I could possibly help with this, but again, I suck. I can only play my own songs, and not that well...

Dan Izen

Daniel Deathtide

Thanks for the great info Deathtide,
I would be over the moon too if i had those amps, im a big fan of the phantom surfers tone here also.

Im interested in single notes , chords anything
Maybe a “e minor” seems to be a good surf chord - no pressure

Oh sure! I’ll throw something together. 48k WAV not mp3 of course - strangely one of the only places I hear a big change from WAV compared to MP3 is in cymbals and the surf guitar tone!

I would really love it if multiple people sent you stuff because I am very curious how this Carl’s amp sounds next to a real 6g14.

Daniel Deathtide

Am I the only one that prefers 6G14-A over 6G14? I had both and went with the 'A'. YMMV.

Page 1 of 1