Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Rendezvous Ballroom September 1963 Lineup Postcard

Page 1 of 1

I was contacted by Miss Cinthea T Coleman who had found an old postcard from the Rendezvous advertising upcoming gigs in September 1963. This is amazing! Thank you Cinthea!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Very cool

Jeff(bigtikidude)

That is really cool. Were the Righteous Brothers not famous yet? I was surprised to see them on the lineup.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

As of September 13, 1963, the Righteous Brothers had released two chart records: "Little Latin Lupe Lu" the previous May, and "My Babe." The former reached #49 on the Billboard Top 100 chart; the latter had appeared on the chart for the first time only a week before their Rendezvous Ballroom appearance with the Sentinals ("Latin'ia" had been out for a year and a half, but the band's "Big Surf" LP was in the record stores).

The duo were on their way up, but "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" was over a year away.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

I remember being a little surprised seeing the Righteous Brothers on a surf bill. I thought there was even a picture floating around here with them onstage but I couldn't find it. I did find the picture of Eddie and the Showmen backing The Coasters. The Righteous Brothers made an appearance in
in the Frankie and Annette beach movie Muscle Beach Party. Dick Dale and His Del-tones backed up Stevie Wonder for a number as well. The early '60s teen scene was obviously a more diverse hodgepodge of musical styles happily coexisting with surf music than we might remember.

websurfer wrote:

I remember being a little surprised seeing the Righteous Brothers on a surf bill. I thought there was even a picture floating around here with them onstage but I couldn't find it. I did find the picture of Eddie and the Showmen backing The Coasters. The Righteous Brothers made an appearance in

I believe there are pictures of them on stage with The Challengers backing them.

Page 1 of 1