Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink What's everyones favorite surf amp?

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 212 13 14 15 16 17 Next

My fave is my new Princeton Reverb Reissue FSR w/12" Celestion Alnico Blue speaker... love the sound and the tube reverb and trem. The blue has made this amp gigable for me.

photo

Well, it used to be my 65" reissue Fender Twin Reverb for gigs. But my back (and my ears) needed something smaller, so I got a Bugera 60 watt. Surprisingly good for the money and it pairs really nice with my twin if I want to play stereo at bigger venues or festivals.

I tried a Vox AC 30 at one time, but it really wasn't my sound (although I love my Vox Pathfinder for my garage projects)

For recordings I use a Fender Excelsior (pawnshop series 15 w amp with 15" speaker and tone mod) and a Fender Blues JR version I. Gives me great tube sound at low volume and is easy to get a bit of a chruncy sound with it.

I was looking for a second hand Quilter for some time now. And after our bassplayer got one, he mentioned that our sound engineer used to play on a Quilter Pro Block 200. So I gave him a call and he gave me an offer I couldn't refuse...

35+ years ago I started playing in (punk)bands and the local youth center had a rehearsal room, complete with amps and drum kit. I fell in love with a Music Man 100 B. One of the first solid state / tube hybrids and designed by Leo Fender himself. The amp is lost forever it seems, but to my big surprise I got the original speaker cabinet in the Quilter deal! Ofcourse the speakers are not original (now Jensen Alnico's) and the speaker cloth was replaced with an ugly black linnen. I know it was the original cabinet because of my childish graffitti on the back and that the below right speaker housing had some damage (repared). I was the one that did the damage when a stage diver pushed me into the amp during a really wild punk show and my guitar head tore through the cloth and speaker Wink

So I replaced the ugly black cloth with an even more uglier speaker mesh with band logo print. As a background I used a close up of my own Fender Twin. So now they match perfectly together!

Let the festival season 2021 please begin! Damn I miss doing shows... Tomorrow it is exactly one year ago since our last gig, just before the Covid lockdown!

For smaller gigs and rehearsals I bought a Vox BC112-150 semi open back cabinet, with 150 watt. Loud enough for most use and since I love open back, it is a great combination with the Music Man cabinet.

Quilter has a topic on their website / forum about combining a 8 ohm with an 4 ohm speaker. Should be no problem and in the short time I played them together at home, it sounded EPIC!!!!!

PS, Rumble, our dog, loves the new set up too!

www.alohasluts.com
Aloha Sluts on BandCamp
www.arnyzona.com (my photography)
Aloha Fest on facebook

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021 10:58:40

12 Watt Tube Amp!!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021 05:35:29

I dig this one. Get one, they are 'cheap'
Amazing sound capabilities. Both bass and guitar. It has got Ed Jahns' magic. Can't rave enough about it. Buy one, thank me later ;)

Cheers,
Andy

www.LosVenturas.be

This one for bass right now.
Looks like a monster, and it is..
From intimite house gigs to festivals.. Who needs PA anyway? —

www.LosVenturas.be

LosVenturas wrote:

I dig this one. Get one, they are 'cheap'
Amazing sound capabilities. Both bass and guitar. It has got Ed Jahns' magic. Can't rave enough about it. Buy one, thank me later ;)

Cheers,
Andy

A friend of mine actually has one and loves it! A secret tip for sure!

TENTACULA: Garage-Psych-Heavy-Surf-Rock
Tentacula @ Bandcamp Tentacula @ Instagram Tentacula @ Facebook my gear collection @ instagram

Who makes that amp?

Fender did, in the late 70s.
It originally came in a combo like the one on the left. The others I put in heads for portability and flexibility in using cabs.
Cheers,
Andy

www.LosVenturas.be

Vistalux 59 Bassman reissue with reverb tank is my favorite! Perfect stage volume, best tone stack, woody tweed sound, and much lighter in weight.
I use a TC Jaurnig dual rate tremolo to complete the package...Bliss!

I hate to say it but its a Fender Blues DeLuxe. If anyone can help me with a question id be happy. Ive tried different amps, i have a 63 Bassman and Twin Reverb now but it sounds '' muddy'' and when i hit the strings it hasnt the attack so to speak. I saw a local ad for a 95 Blues De Luxe and bought it since it was cheap, its very ugly but when i connected it sounded perfect so my question is should it be such a difference? Would it help to change tubes in the Bassman? now it have Sovtek and Fender tubes. Btw Bssman has Jbl d120 speakers.

Crimedontpay wrote:

I hate to say it but its a Fender Blues DeLuxe. If anyone can help me with a question id be happy. Ive tried different amps, i have a 63 Bassman and Twin Reverb now but it sounds '' muddy'' and when i hit the strings it hasnt the attack so to speak. I saw a local ad for a 95 Blues De Luxe and bought it since it was cheap, its very ugly but when i connected it sounded perfect so my question is should it be such a difference? Would it help to change tubes in the Bassman? now it have Sovtek and Fender tubes. Btw Bssman has Jbl d120 speakers.

The Blues Deluxe is a great amp design. It has a bit of common ground, circuit wise, with the vaunted ‘59 Bassman. They can, and do, sound great.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Thanks for the explanaition, it sounds great, espescially with the Teisco so ill keep it for good.

Right now this.....not too shabby.

2012-2013: FILTHY POLAROIDS

P2gee, the other guitar player in my band has the black tolex version of that amp. It sounds great, and IMO even better once we hooked a Brownfacer pedal up to it.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

My first and only surf amp at the moment.

-John

"...enjoy every sandwich." -Warren Zevon

Fender Stratocaster American Pro II
Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue

jtrollmann wrote:

My first and only surf amp at the moment.

An excellent choice.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I played a big outdoor festival recently with my Double Quilters in stereo. Best sound ever at an outdoor gig for me. Full PA and monitors but the sound from the amps was spectacular and very clean.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Last edited: Sep 03, 2021 17:33:16

Cool looking amp, stratdancer!

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

showman are killer amps. im basic and love the twin reverb

Just bought myself a shiny new Fender ‘65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue since Guitar Center had it for a steal on their Guitar-a-thon sale. I’ve had a reissue DR for many years and sold it, trying to fuel my GAS for other amps. I’ve since missed that amp dearly and the amps after that have not been the same (except for my Vox AC-10 which is beautiful and just as good, but different flavor). Seeing the DR price skyrocket over the past year made me feel like it would be out of reach, however the sale knocked almost $500 off the price, so it was a no-brainer. Ends up also being a 75th anniversary logo on it too, which is cool to have.

Reunited with my true love/desert island amp and it feels so good. Perfect size, reverb/tremolo to die for (sometimes I don’t even need my SurfyBear, it’s so good), and classic surf tone and beyond. I’ll never sell this amp again, as the rest don’t do it for me (except for the Vox). Build quality is so much better than the Princeton Reverb (Deluxe made in USA vs Princeton China) and to me the Princeton sounded kinda lame compared to this beast. Owned the 65 Twin Reverb and way too heavy (though the bright switch was a cool feature).

There’s a reason this amp is a classic, do-it-all workhorse for home and gigs. Something magical built into the Deluxe. It’s like a magnet that pulls me in. And the second “Normal” channel is so handy for non-surf stuff where you can plug a mic into it for practice or small gigs where you don’t want to lug out a PA system (done that several times and is useful). I’m happy for life. And that new amp smell is intoxicating…

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021 18:44:49

Goto Page: Previous 1 212 13 14 15 16 17 Next