Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Forays into lo-fi surf arrangement: Cuban Doo-Wop Edition

Page 1 of 1

Howdy! New to this forum, and relatively new to surf guitar as well. I must have been bit by some sort of bug because now I can only hear reverb-drenched, treble-heavy music.

After noodling a few originals, I wanted to try and arrange something very much not surf, but something near and dear to my heart. It's a rocking number from the Cuban doo-wop group Los Zafiros called La Caminadora. (link to the original)

Besides not having the technical chops that a lot of you have learned, and I can't play keys with a gun to my head, the most difficult part of this process was getting a full texture out of limited equipment. I'm using a Pocket Operator for drums and an old Tascam 4 track to record, so I have to lean into the lo-fi demo sound. Maybe one day these songs will get the full band treatment!

For now I'm glad to share the bits I've been able to work on. Anybody else done some unexpected surf covers?

No Springs, the premiere lo-fi bedroom one-man surf band!

I almost missed this! What an original and cool ass sound you have, and it’s backed by solid songwriting. This really is right up my alley, I listen to a band called Smersh that has no surf sounds but do use a drum machine similarly, and they recorded all on cassette also. I like the other album too, a lot! That third song is really well composed and sounds great. I really really love that drum machine.
I can also say I have never heard anything like it, which is a HUGE bonus. Awesome stuff.
I have an old Tascam PortaStudio 464, Is that what you guys used?
Dan

Daniel Deathtide

Thanks, glad you dig it! Haven't heard Smersh but I see that Dark Entries has rereleased some of them so it's bound to be killer. I'm using the Tascam DP-004, so it's digital, not actual tape (for now...)

No Springs, the premiere lo-fi bedroom one-man surf band!

Well hot damn dude, you got a great analog feel to it!

Daniel Deathtide

Sounds good... Cool drum beat as well!

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Last edited: Apr 08, 2021 15:53:27

I agree that you have an original sound going, and it's great. I never would have thought of drum sounds like that, but you made it work in a very cool way.

Deal with reality, or reality will deal with you.

Page 1 of 1