Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Alamo Amps

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

I have a Montclair Reverb (solid state preamp version) and it just doesn't cut it at practice. If only it was just a little louder. What about the Futuras? I've seen 2-12 versions, are they loud enough to gig with? The Jet?

Well, I don't know how it would work from personal experience, but I have read, Alamo Futuras have 2 7868's which are equivalent to a 7591 electronically. Comparing that to ampeg reverberockets and Gemini's, the amp would most likely be around 25+ watts, and with 2 12 inch speakers, I think you'd have quite a gig worthy amp. The Alamo Jets are basically like a champ, but with only one tone, some have tremolo, and some even had reverb.

Maybe a Univox does surf...

What about the Galaxie w/2-10s?

From what I've read, the galaxie 2x10 is the same wattage as the Montclair (25 watts rms, or so their catalogs claimed Smile ), but just in a 2x10 cabinet. Earlier ones were a different configuration, but that's how the later hybrid ones were.
I'd read through the info on this link if you have the time. It's where I got all my info from: http://books.google.com/books?id=msEJ8cMqng4C&pg=PA1943&lpg=PA1943&dq=alamo+guitar+story&source=bl&ots=z8C8z5x-T2&sig=FQTaVvGAaa47ygJ3NThlYmw85Ms&hl=en

Haven't read this article. Thanks!

I think it's ridiculous that an obscure company like this could have such a intact history. One day I'll have to buy one of their amps though.

Picked up a 60s Alamo Jet model 2564 all-tube combo amp a month ago. Must be mid-late 60s as it has the chrome panel. Really liking it, as it’s a versatile setup with the onboard tremolo and spring reverb. Original 12” speaker and about 15 watts or so, can get loud enough for what it is and stays clean. Very bright, clean sounding amp, similar to Fender Blackface. Reverb is “different” but very usable, and if you crank it up and turn volume all the way down it can splash well. Tremolo not that intense but I read somewhere that’s normal. Came with the original wooden doorstop footswitch and original speaker. Had an Alamo Embassy years ago and liked that too. Awesome garage rock tone too with the reverb. Solid cabinet too, built well. Very cool company.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021 17:42:38

Goto Page: Previous 1 2