Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Help me find the band behind this instro

Page 1 of 1

Thanks to Simoncoil for pointing out this live gig recording at the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/DNALOUNGE-2018-10-26d

I spent a good part of the evening listening to DJ Sid Presley's set, weird and wacky tunes I've never heard before. One tune really caught attention.

The media player is top of the page - at about 57:40 mins.

Sounds a little like the Brit group The Hunters with Clavioline, it's a Halloween/Horror piece for sure.
Would love to know who the band is, many thanks.

That is indeed a cool fun track! I don't think I've heard that before.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

You’re right about the clavioline.
It’s The Bogey Man, by The Moontrekkers.

Los Fantasticos

Thanks Jon and yes I did get lucky calling it a Clavioline!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021 23:33:20

I saw The Mointrekkers play in Tunbridge Wells a few years ago. Peter Knight was playing that very Clavioline.

Los Fantasticos

Cool tune. The Telstar preset on the EHX C9 organ machine followed by a fuzz pedal and an overdrive for fine tuning will come very close to that Clavioline sound.

djangodeadman wrote:

I saw The Mointrekkers play in Tunbridge Wells a few years ago. Peter Knight was playing that very Clavioline.

I hear the BBC banned Night of the Vampire as being "unsuitable for people of a nervous disposition"! Was it also comedian Spike Milligan who once said of the band (paraphrase) If you sent this record to the Russians they'd see it as a declaration of war!!! Big Grin

I'm not usually a fan of the Moontrekkers but I suspect they were a great live group especially in their heyday. Hope they lived up to your expectations. I'm interested in 50s/60s up tempo slightly insane Clavioline pieces Ted Taylor/Bert Weedon/John Barry so if you know of others please do point them out.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021 06:00:43

crumble wrote:

djangodeadman wrote:

I hear the BBC banned Night of the Vampire as being "unsuitable for people of a nervous disposition"! Was it also comedian Spike Milligan who once said of the band (paraphrase) If you sent this record to the Russians they'd see it as a declaration of war!!! Big Grin

I'm not usually a fan of the Moontrekkers but I suspect they were a great live group especially in their heyday. Hope they lived up to your expectations. I'm interested in 50s/60s up tempo slightly insane Clavioline pieces Ted Taylor/Bert Weedon/John Barry so if you know of others please do point them out.

People often claim that Rumble is the only instrumental to have been banned and I often point out that this is not so, citing Night of the Vampire as evidence. I’m a bit boring like that.

I wouldn’t describe The Moontrekkers as great when I saw them, but it was long long past their heyday. They were enjoyable enough, though.

Los Fantasticos

cambeezy wrote:

Cool tune. The Telstar preset on the EHX C9 organ machine followed by a fuzz pedal and an overdrive for fine tuning will come very close to that Clavioline sound.

Thanks for the tip I checked the demos out and the speed of tracking is truly impressive. I prefer to buy hardware rather than expensive VST plugins with licence hassles, you never seem to own what you've bought. The only thing that puts me off is guitar finger gymnastics needed to convert from keyboard style.

Besides I have a Teenage Engineering OP-1 I bought as used cheaply when they first came out. I just need some good clean samples and tweak galore.

It’s not stated where this was filmed, but this is very much what the band were like when I saw them and it could be the same gig. As I said above, not great, but enjoyable enough. You can see the clavioline which, according to Peter Knight, was used on Telstar.

Los Fantasticos

Last edited: Feb 01, 2021 01:05:09

djangodeadman wrote:

It’s not stated where this was filmed, but this is very much what the band were like when I saw them and it could be the same gig. As I said above, not great, but enjoyable enough. You can see the clavioline which, according to Peter Knight, was used on Telstar.

Reading from Wiki their last gig was 2007 minus Jimmy Raither who died in 1993. Bass player Peter Johnson died on January 8th 2021 of Covid 19. On a side note we also lost Dave Greenfield of the Stranglers to Covid.

Looking at the video they seem to be playing quite well, sound is probably more to do with venue and equipment.

crumble wrote:

djangodeadman wrote:

Reading from Wiki their last gig was 2007 minus Jimmy Raither who died in 1993. Bass player Peter Johnson died on January 8th 2021 of Covid 19. On a side note we also lost Dave Greenfield of the Stranglers to Covid.

Looking at the video they seem to be playing quite well, sound is probably more to do with venue and equipment.

I forget exactly when the gig in Tunbridge Wells was, but I actually think it was later than 2007. That 2007 gig has Gary Leport in the band and no Peter Knight. Leport wrote Night of the Vampire. He didn’t play with them at the gig I saw, but Peter Knight did.

Los Fantasticos

Last edited: Feb 01, 2021 16:19:30

That first clip has Bob Frost, normally on rhythm guitar, playing lead in the absence of Gary LePort. It looks and sounds very much like the Tunbridge Wells concert - there were sound problems all night and you can barely hear Peter Knight's Clavioline. The re-formed Moontrekkers also played sets at the 1995 and 2001 Pipeline Conventions in London.

This band is great!!

Daniel Deathtide

PipelineMagazine wrote:

That first clip has Bob Frost, normally on rhythm guitar, playing lead in the absence of Gary LePort. It looks and sounds very much like the Tunbridge Wells concert - there were sound problems all night and you can barely hear Peter Knight's Clavioline. The re-formed Moontrekkers also played sets at the 1995 and 2001 Pipeline Conventions in London.

Do you remember the year of the Tunbridge Wells gig, Alan? Your memory is probably better than mine!

Los Fantasticos

Last edited: Feb 01, 2021 16:18:57

My friend Ray Liffen has provided more info...

"There were two concerts of the 'Rock&Roll Revival Show' at the Royal Victoria Hall Theatre (now demolished) in Southborough, Tunbridge Wells. The Secrets _[Ray's band]_played alongside The Moontrekkers, The Scorpions and numerous others in 2001.
"I think, though, that the clip comes from the year earlier, 2000, when I was on the balcony with what looks like two cameras. The Moontrekkers again played, with Bob Frost on guitar. As you know, Gary LePort played a Burns Artist guitar on the original Meek recording and I think that's my Burns Artist that Bob is playing in the clip, on loan for the evening."

Ray is checking to see if he can confirm actual dates. I can recall big sound problems in 2001!

Alan
www.pipelinemag.co.uk

Ray has confirmed that he shot that clip at the Rock & Roll Revival Show 2000 when The Moontrkkers were:
Bob Frost (lead guitar) (Ray's Burns Artist used for 'Night Of The Vampire')
Peter Knight (2 keyboards including Joe Meek's original Clavioline as used for 'Night Of The Vampire' and 'Telstar')
Steve Trounce (rhythm guitar)
Pete Johnson (bass)
Max Temple (drums)

Royal Victoria Hall Theatre in Southborough

PipelineMagazine wrote:

Ray has confirmed that he shot that clip at the Rock & Roll Revival Show 2000 when The Moontrkkers were:
Bob Frost (lead guitar) (Ray's Burns Artist used for 'Night Of The Vampire')
Peter Knight (2 keyboards including Joe Meek's original Clavioline as used for 'Night Of The Vampire' and 'Telstar')
Steve Trounce (rhythm guitar)
Pete Johnson (bass)
Max Temple (drums)

Thanks Alan. Just goes to show how rubbish my memory is!
I only really went to see The Moontrekkers and I’m pretty sure that I left after they played.

Los Fantasticos

Page 1 of 1