Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Reverb tank advice needed

Page 1 of 1

I'm not getting much reverb out of my amp, a Siegmund Midnight Special. I replaced the tank with the compatible Accutronics unit, I replaced the reverb tube 6SN7, and still not very reverbery. If I thump the tank, you can definitely hear the springs flapping. IDK what else to do.

There might not be anything you can do other than get your reverb from somewhere other than the amp. The tank is only part of the equation; it could be that the amp's circuit simply doesn't generate the amount of reverb signal you're after.

I should have mentioned that it used to have more reverb than it does now.

Hi! I've had that problem loads of times. Usually it requires fixing by someone who knows how to fix amps. It could be that the reverb driving circuit is to low powered because of some issue. Also, if you swap tanks they could be of different impedence - thus increasing or decreasing the volume. I'd go to a good technician...

Rasmús "Michelle" Pasmús

in looking at siegmund's site, seems like it uses a lot of NOS components. so maybe a component failure in the reverb mix circuit. I'd email them first then take it to a tech.

you replaced the reverb drive tube, but is there a reverb recovery tube? In blackface fenders, the recovery is half of a 12ax7

when hit, do the springs crash much louder than your reverb signal? or does the reverb tank crash sound quieter than it should normally? if the crash is nice and loud, but the guitar reverb mix is very low, then there's usually an input problem. if the tank is quieter when hit than it should be, then it's output/recovery issue.

Does anything happen when you toggle the reverb bypass switch back and forth a few times? I'm doubting a dirty switch, but worth a shot. any noise in the reverb mix pot when you crank it back and forth?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021 13:48:23

Chris Siegmund was Siegmund Amps, but unfortunately, he passed a month or so ago. The tube complement is 6SL7 6SN7 6SL7 6V6GT 5Y3GT. I have NOS tubes in it that have all tested as new. The springs crash loudly when hit. Nothing audible when manipulating the switch or the pot. I was hoping to learn of some values to check for input and output at the tank. I will take it in as a final resort, but don't know of a trustworthy tech here.

Skydog wrote:

Chris Siegmund was Siegmund Amps, but unfortunately, he passed a month or so ago. The tube complement is 6SL7 6SN7 6SL7 6V6GT 5Y3GT. I have NOS tubes in it that have all tested as new. The springs crash loudly when hit. Nothing audible when manipulating the switch or the pot. I was hoping to learn of some values to check for input and output at the tank. I will take it in as a final resort, but don't know of a trustworthy tech here.

ah, I'm very sorry to hear that.

have you reversed or swapped the RCA cables to rule that out? Without a schematic it'd take a bit more time to trace and test the circuit, but that's an easy task and not horribly invasive (unsoldering components to test them and resoldering). just time consuming.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021 13:53:28

Check the RCA cables as Cosmonaut recommended.
If it's not the cables (I am guessing based on the uber quality of those amps that the cables are good quality) I would take it to a trusted tech.
It sounds like that amp had very good 'verb previously.
Good luck w/ it. Looks like a great amp.

Page 1 of 1