Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink orange sherbet/vanilla twist. parts jaguar a-comin'!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

Damn, man! That looks awesome! Cool

Looking good, and the rosewood is a great choice. A matching orange headstock would be an awesome addition.

edwardsand wrote:

Looking good, and the rosewood is a great choice. A matching orange headstock would be an awesome addition.

since this is actually my mustang neck, and the tinted yellow does look a bit off compared to the body. I'll see how hard capri orange paint is to find.

now, do I buy a fender USA neck and paint it, or wait 3 months for musikraft... too many projects now. ugh!

Last edited: Jan 09, 2021 20:21:01

I've used a couple of Allparts JGRO necks and been happy with them, so they could be an option. I had to finish them and detail the fret ends, but they feel good and play great.

And I think it should be pretty easy to find capri orange paint.

edwardsand wrote:

I've used a couple of Allparts JGRO necks and been happy with them, so they could be an option. I had to finish them and detail the fret ends, but they feel good and play great.

And I think it should be pretty easy to find capri orange paint.

that's an option, but I really like the binding on current USA fender necks. I'll see when allparts has them in stock and the cost for finish and fret detail locally, or try it myself. I considered musikraft for their custom options and their attention to frets (according to others)

gracey has the capri orange paint and clearcoat.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021 18:48:46

Would you put in a custom order just to get binding? If so, I would stick with the Mustang or buy a short scale MIM neck and some capri paint. That rosewood is popping!

wierzbowski wrote:

Would you put in a custom order just to get binding? If so, I would stick with the Mustang or buy a short scale MIM neck and some capri paint. That rosewood is popping!

i'd go fender USA replacement neck. the mustang neck belongs to my kurt cobain mustang. it's japanese so it doesn't fit the pocket. i don't need binding, just like the look. musikraft and allparts both are options for just dots. only problem is I have no space to spray/finish while in lockdown.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021 21:55:17

here we go removing the broken mute screw. 1/4 extraction bit did beautiful work! now i extract a 1/4" plug from a block of alder I have coming soon.

Option 2: i have 1/4" threaded inserts and #4 stainless machine screws, drill the hole a touch larger and thread an insert in.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021 17:06:02

just ordered a neck. rosewood USA fender, dots and binding.

cosmonaut wrote:

Sweet! I think it'll really set-off the whole look and theme of the build. Your partner is going to love it.

I'm super happy with the one that I ordered. I got the option without a pilot hole for the string tree screw since i have staggered tuners. The replacement that they sent me is very good. My build is fully assembled/wired now, but I'm not 100% happy with the pickguard fit, so I'm working on getting a custom made one that'll fit the Guitarmill body.

SandBug wrote:

cosmonaut wrote:

Sweet! I think it'll really set-off the whole look and theme of the build. Your partner is going to love it.

I'm super happy with the one that I ordered. I got the option without a pilot hole for the string tree screw since i have staggered tuners. The replacement that they sent me is very good. My build is fully assembled/wired now, but I'm not 100% happy with the pickguard fit, so I'm working on getting a custom made one that'll fit the Guitarmill body.

oh man i didn't realize there was an option for no hole. i would have gone staggered! crap. can't wait to see your photos. glad you got it exchanged!

good call on having a guard made. my pickguard was 'usa spec' but it's not quite perfect either (it was $10...) I wanted this to be done for under $500 but couldn't shake wanting the USA neck.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021 20:07:37

cosmonaut wrote:

oh man i didn't realize there was an option for no hole. i would have gone staggered! crap. i'll look up your thread. glad you got it exchanged!

I haven't made the thread for my build yet, i figured i'd wait until it was all done.

Just a head's up about the staggered tuners, I had to slightly deepen the tuner holes for the Kluson Supreme tuners i put in. It wasn't a lot of work, but still kinda nerve-wracking putting a drill in the new headstock. The holes had to be set a few millimeters deeper so the bushings would fit flush. Diameter was fine. Also i found that i didn't get charged tax when i bought it directly from Stratosphere's website vs. Stratosphere's ebay store.

cosmonaut wrote:

I wanted this to be done for under $500 but couldn't shake wanting the USA neck.

Some people don't like to put expensive parts with less expensive parts, but i think it's money well spent and i'd say it's logical to go big on the neck since it's such an important part of the instrument. You've already saved a lot of the cost by assembling it and using parts you already had, that's a great reason to spend more in other areas. And for me the best thing about building my own stuff is doing it exactly how i like. I imagine you're the same way, your builds have a lot of cool custom touches that make them perfectly suited to your own style.

SandBug wrote:

Some people don't like to put expensive parts with less expensive parts, but i think it's money well spent and i'd say it's logical to go big on the neck since it's such an important part of the instrument. You've already saved a lot of the cost by assembling it and using parts you already had, that's a great reason to spend more in other areas. And for me the best thing about building my own stuff is doing it exactly how i like. I imagine you're the same way, your builds have a lot of cool custom touches that make them perfectly suited to your own style.

thank you so much for the encouragement. took me too long to realize how important necks are. nothing i've held feels as solid and comfortable as my 90s tex mex strat. my old 60s mosrite (with impeccably tight neck joint) was a runner-up. I've always tried to stretch the cheap guitars as far as I can. This time, the body is just a body.

I've never put this much work into a guitar. It's going to be great. If my partner hates it, well... more fun for me!

Should be fully assembled next weekend.

didn't want to spend $55 on jag templates, so I just traced out a line and free handed this cavity with my router (no fences because I'm a cheap idiot)

did one more pass to clean up the bottom and some of the burn marks, sanded the finish edges smooth so the finish doesn't chip off, and here we go! the pickup routes are going to be a pain. debating buying the very nice nickel shielding paint, or roll of copper tape for shielding. Tempted to do the jaguar brass sheets and shielding paint...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021 19:23:21

Nice work with free handing the router, pretty clean!

calling this done. not looking forward to pickup mounting. no more fewer posts til it's finished. promise.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021 14:44:04

I'm happy to see more posts of work in progress.

edit: wasn't crazy about the stripey pattern to the rosewood, but one coat of oil down, looks pretty nice! my tuner bushings are the wrong size, have some on order. can't wait to string it up. also picked up a 7.25 radius stay trem bridge.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021 20:54:51

Man, it's gorgeous.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next