Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink What's everyones favorite surf amp?

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 211 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next

A Deluxe Reverb hand wired clone head (with 4x10 cab) and a Fender Custom Vibrasonic are my go-betweens depending on the size of venue I'm playing. I love 'em both.

Mike

Not a popular pick by a long shot, but I love my Peavey Classic 50 2 x 12 paired with my Tecotica reverb tank. Super headroom in the clean channel, and the “bright” input produces great surf tones, IMO. Our drummer has the 4 x 10 model, which is an absolute beast.

LordWellfleet wrote:

Not a popular pick by a long shot, but I love my Peavey Classic 50 2 x 12 paired with my Tecotica reverb tank. Super headroom in the clean channel, and the “bright” input produces great surf tones, IMO. Our drummer has the 4 x 10 model, which is an absolute beast.

That should be a heck of a platform.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

LordWellfleet wrote:

I've heard plenty of great surf music played through a Peavy Classic 50. Those amps are fantastic. I'll also say that the Texotica is also my tank and it's the best tank I've ever heard or played through. Lookin good! Cheers

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 15:01:22

Decisions,decisions,decisions.......... Some days it's just tough to make one.......

Ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 15:01:37

Eddie, so that's where the fed ex containers went. I'm reporting this! Nice setup though!

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Thanks. When I was still working, we had a Fed-X courier who would slip me one of those crates every few months. They rock!

Thorium, eh? I worked in a radiation lab for 30 years.........

I still have my dad's watch with the radium dial. It's screaming hot.

And no, I don't glow in the dark.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 15:01:44

I'm not referring to uptake and body burden. Surface emission, man. We excelled at ALARA, no zombies, we.

You then have been around the stuff. First thing I normally heard after trying to explain to someone new that I performed non-destructive quality assurance testing on NIST traceable, custom, low level, radioactive calibration standards for a living was........"do you glow in the dark?."

Nuke-em Dano,

Ed

A friend of mine gave me that rad warning sign for Christmas one year. I found the hearing protection sign in a second hand store, just had to have it.

Actually displaying that rad sign in public without just cause is a no no.

Frankly, I found the hearing protection sigh to be funny as hell and just perfect for the X-Rays/Surge! practice room downstairs in the Boatwerx.

ed

eddiekatcher wrote:

I'm not referring to uptake and body burden. Surface emission, man. We excelled at ALARA, no zombies, we.

You then have been around the stuff. First thing I normally heard after trying to explain to someone new that I performed non-destructive quality assurance testing on NIST traceable, custom, low level, radioactive calibration standards for a living was........"do you glow in the dark?."

Nuke-em Dano,

Ed

i thought you did glow in the dark. Smile

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 15:01:51

New here but lovin it. For me it's my 68 Bandmaster, jumpered, with my very early Silverface Fender reverb. Easy to dial in and get the tone I love. Believe it or not, and close second, is my 54 Bandmaster with the same reverb unit. Nice round sound with the 15. Tis true that sound is in the ear of the beholder.

New here. Can't think of a better topic to start with.

I found a Ampeg gvt52-112 used. It's a killer little amp. Are there better amps for surf? Probably, but this and a Surfybear gets me pretty far. It was about $350 with an upgraded speaker and I can play it in my bedroom or with a band.

AstroSurf wrote:

New here but lovin it. For me it's my 68 Bandmaster, jumpered, with my very early Silverface Fender reverb. Easy to dial in and get the tone I love. Believe it or not, and close second, is my 54 Bandmaster with the same reverb unit. Nice round sound with the 15. Tis true that sound is in the ear of the beholder.

When in 68 was yours produced? The first half of 68 was the blackface circuit. One of my bandmasters was a dripedge but still a blackface.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

I love a Fender ‘65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue. Great onboard tremolo, reverb, and loud enough for me (too many years blasting and I can’t do loud anymore). The size and weight are really acceptable. Used to have a ‘65 Twin Reverb reissue and although it sounded mighty, the weight was the killer for me. I’d dread moving that every time. Deluxe Reverb seems to be a great combo surf rig for those who need that classic tone without the weight. Hard to beat it for versatility. Anytime I’ve felt the Deluxe wasn’t enough, there was always a P.A. system.

Although I really like the sound of my Twin '72 (swapped out the stock speakers for some vintage Jensens), lately I've been using a '68 Bassman on a cab with a single 15" Lansing '64). I swear to God... the Twin combo and the Bassman head weight about the same! When I feel like traveling light to a gig, I'll just use my Quilter... powerful, sounds great and most of all... LIGHT!

The Men in Gray Suits (Montreal, Canada)
Facebook: The Men in Gray Suits
Instagram: The Men in Gray Suits

I am fortunate to have a lot of options when it comes to choosing a surf amp. But, for the last 5 years I've been using this Blackface Bassman into my homemade 1x12 cab with a JBL-D120 almost exclusively as my live rig. Very compact, portable, and plenty of bone crunching clean power!!!

Goto Page: Previous 1 211 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next