Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » For Sale / Trade »

Permalink 1966 Blonde Dual Showman - Lower price

Page 1 of 1

Howdy Friends,

After much thought, I have decided to move my Dual Showman setup. Here is the story behind it. In 1992, I bought two 2-15 Dual Showman cabinets. I gave one to my pal Deke Dickerson, and I kept one. The Tolex was in rough shape, so I bought some Blonde Tolex and Grill cloth from Sam Hutton in Fullerton. Sam worked at Fender in the early days, and had a ton of NOS stuff. I recovered the cabinet, and used it with my 1962 Showman head for the next 20 years. The cabinet has seen far too many Phantom Surfers gigs to count, and it was used on almost all of our recordings.I also used this on gigs with Dick Dale, the Ventures, The Trashmen, Davie Allan etc. if that means anything to you.

I had a JBL reconed at some point, and it was assembled with a non chrome dustcover. As I recall I needed it for a gig, and couldn't wait till the repair guy got one in. Easy fix if it bugs you. At some point I had to replace the original baffle. When I recovered it, I put the piggyback posts in place for my 62 head. Consequently, they are too wide for the Dual Showman. If you like, I can procure a new set of bushings and add them back in the original location. The Dual fits perfectly if you stand the cabinet up on it's end, which is how I used it.

About 15 years ago, I stumbled onto the Dual Showman head. It was already recovered and it matched the cabinet exactly. It is in excellent electronic and cosmetic shape. Note the early repo knobs. I have used this rig as a bass cabinet on all Venturesmania shows. It is a killer bass setup.
This is by far the LOUDEST Showman of the 12 or so I have had over the years. A 4 OHM transformer into two JBL's will do that! And I mean loud. Ask anyone who has witnessed a Venturesmania show. And in 1966, the CBS engineers had not gotten to the Showman yet, so it is exactly like a pre CBS Blackface.

I am selling this as I recently have some hereditary neck and shoulder nerve issues I am addressing, and toting this around probably is not a good idea. I am also happy to ship USA or overseas, as I have shipped several in the past. As it is fairly heavy, shipping will not be inexpensive. Local pickup preferred.

Sort of sad to see this old friend go, but it is time.
This is a great workingman's rig, and a chance to get a real Fender, not some lame Chines reissue Fender. There really is nothing like a vintage 2-15 Showman moving air. Thanks for looking.

$1700 OBO

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020 12:45:14

Page 1 of 1