Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Concussions - Newaygo Sound Machine Out Now!

Page 1 of 1

This topic was automatically created to discuss the news story The Concussions - Newaygo Sound Machine Out Now!.

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

Another great Concussions release I must say. Spun it a couple of times on Saturday and it's really staying with me. So many interesting guitar tones. Big thumbs up to the Concussions and Sean/Double Crown!

Rick

Oh yes indeed. This is great. The Concussions!

El Twitter
El Ray
El Ray on Bandcamp
El Twang on YouTube

I just listened to Pump City on yt. Very cool sounds! Can you tell us anything about the gear you used to make such raw tones?

Squink Out!

JObeast, I don't think Tommy (AKA Dick Chiclet) of the Concussions is on SG101. But I can partially answer your question: Tommy owns the Goon Lagoon Studio in Grand Rapids, MI, where he records all Concussions stuff. It's an all-analog studio, mostly highly vintage stuff, and he's greatly influenced by people like Joe Meek. Here's a nice article about him and the studio from three years ago: http://revuewm.com/music/item/2045-tommy-schichtels-time-warp

The studio has a FB page, too: https://www.facebook.com/goonlagoonrecorders

I've been there before, and it's super cool. The Madeira will be recording two songs there in three weeks. Really looking forward to that!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Sep 05, 2016 20:20:11

BTW, I picked the new album at their CD release show in Douglas, MI two weeks go, and it's GREAT! I think their best so far! Not surf music, but highly inventive and melodic instro rock. Thumbs Up

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Thanks for pointing out the article, Ivan, it was a good read. I have to explore his music some more. Anyone inspired by Joe Meek using lots of good old gear is nuts in the best way.
Reminds me of Kramer with his Noise New York Studio. Bongwater recorded all their albums there, one of my favorite bands of the 90s.

Squink Out!

Looking forward to hearing their new cd.
Another great band I need to get into the convention schedule at some point.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Been listening quite a bit to the album today. The production is kick-ass good!! I love this album. Have fun in that studio, Ivan! And oh...Vinyl please⚡️

El Twitter
El Ray
El Ray on Bandcamp
El Twang on YouTube

Hey all! Thanks for the kind words. A friend of mine hipped me to the post. Glad the record is being so well received. It was a fun record to record and produce. I'll try to answer a few questions. I try to keep things as straight as possible on the way to tape. I use mostly ribbon mics, old preamps like Ampex 350's and Altec 1567's as well as some old AM16 pres. Even a Vortexion once in a while. Really simple drums. Sometimes only one mic. We had a bit of percussion on the some tracks which helps the raw songs like "Pump City" really stand out. Lots of bass VI also. The '65 Mosrite was used quite a bit as well as a bunch of vintage Danelectro's. Was trying to get more of a dead guitar sound on the record with not a lot of sustain. "Moonballs" is a good example. "In a Mystic Mood" has a real thunderstorm recorded out the window unedited. The timing was crazy. It's almost as if Mother Nature produced that song. I added Mellotron to further the emotion. Thanks again and hope this answers a few questions.

www.facebook.com/pages/The-Concussions/270762379124
www.theconcussions.com
www.facebook.com/pages/The-FUZZrites/127576820596665
https://www.facebook.com/goonlagoonrecorders/?ref=bookmarks

This is f*cking fantastic! Congratulations Tommy & The Concussions!

Just listened a few times on Spotify. If you are a fan of 60's guitar instrumentals, Link Wray, Joe Meek, the Shadows, this is a must buy! Really tasty guitar tones, nice percussion and organ/key touches, fuzzy guitar here and there, fantastic and melodic songs. I love it! Will be placing an order from Sean soon!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Even more amazing on multiple listens. Great stuff!

I definitely need to give this some more serious listens in a setting that I can really pay attention to it. Every album from this band becomes my new favorite of theirs, and I'm expecting the trend to continue.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

I got this album in my car for one week now, I like it a lot ! Every songs are awesome, with a special atmosphere on each of them so it never gets boring. My favorites are "Trouble Gum" for the happy psychedelic vibe and "Storm Team Dave" for the oriental melody. But they are all really great !

This band has such a unique sound it's crazy, and the addition of various kind of percussions on this album is really cool. My favorite instro album of 2016 so far !

Yannick

Lead Guitar in Blackball Bandits : https://blackballbandits.bandcamp.com/
Solo project : https://thechollasurf.bandcamp.com/releases

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016 16:03:01

Listened to this again and thought I would bump this for any new members who haven't heard it. This is one tasty release!

I had it running through my head on election day, perfect for that weird mood

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Page 1 of 1