Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Memories... Annette and the Beach

Page 1 of 1

Ah, the Thursday before vacation. Memories of past beach trips, making surf mix tapes the night before, loading recording gear and pictures of Annette surfing through my head. Somehow growing up in the 60s and 70s, living landlocked in Maryland, those cheesy beach movies with Frankie and Annette only fueled my desire to play instrumental surf (despite having only a small audience that shared our passion).

Tonight I ready myself for a family beach trip hoping to forget the current troubles, at least for a week.

She still goes through my thoughts all these years later, (don't worry wife is still number 1), but I did name my surf green strat "Annette"...

She always seemed so positive and was taken too soon. Anyway, just remembering went to Annette's Official Site and just kicked around for awhile.

Hope we all can get out soon, get back to playing with lots of people and sharing the music and place we all love so much. Stay safe, I miss playing out, I miss my band, I miss Annette...

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Last edited: Oct 01, 2020 22:03:24

Love these movies) For the guy that grew up in 80th and 90th far away form there, they are a kind of “once long ago in another world”.

When people here tell - I’ve been there! I grew up in LA and was surfing and listening to surf in 60th!

I think of some movie like Last Action Hero. Really, you were inside of the movie?))) You must be joking!)

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

New Single is out!

https://waikikimakaki.bandcamp.com/album/rhino-blues-full-contact-surf-single

Waikiki Makaki

https://linktr.ee/waikikimakaki

Lost Diver

https://lostdiver.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/vitaly-yakushin

Last edited: Oct 02, 2020 05:59:40

That’s how I feel too! It’s almost like meeting someone who was in a war, because I can’t conceive of what being in a war is like. Just like I can’t conceive of living in Southern California in the early 60s. In my mind it is a magical time. Kind of like when there were dragons and unicorns running around.

both of my parents were hippies and they moved to San Francisco in 1963. But neither one of them had ever heard surf in New York or Chicago. They lived on a commune and seemed to have no exposure to surf.

Lately I have also been thinking about the fact that states like Missouri were killing black people for attempting to register to vote, and governors were running on racist platforms. Students were regularly traveling the country for protests and getting beaten and thrown in jail. Martin Luther King was meeting with heads of other civil rights groups.

Now I get a picture of people surfing and living in a mystical world on the West Coast, and in the South and East people were sacrificing their lives and livelihoods for an ideal that resulted in the 1965 civil rights act.

I am not a true aficionado, but I can’t think of ever seeing any black person play surf. Kind of weird.

Hey have fun at the beach!

Dan

Daniel Deathtide

The Pyramids from Long Beach in the film Bikini Beach had Willie Glover on guitar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpM5kzY8-20

Last edited: Oct 02, 2020 10:53:11

I grew up near the beach Southern California in the 60s and I also thought those films were from another time and another world.

The Mouseketeers never appealed to me.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

ArtS wrote:

Ah, the Thursday before vacation. Memories of past beach trips, making surf mix tapes the night before, loading recording gear and pictures of Annette surfing through my head. Somehow growing up in the 60s and 70s, living landlocked in Maryland, those cheesy beach movies with Frankie and Annette only fueled my desire to play instrumental surf (despite having only a small audience that shared our passion).

Tonight I ready myself for a family beach trip hoping to forget the current troubles, at least for a week.

She still goes through my thoughts all these years later, (don't worry wife is still number 1), but I did name my surf green strat "Annette"...

She always seemed so positive and was taken too soon. Anyway, just remembering went to Annette's Official Site and just kicked around for awhile.

Hope we all can get out soon, get back to playing with lots of people and sharing the music and place we all love so much. Stay safe, I miss playing out, I miss my band, I miss Annette...

That's poetic. Ever since I learned we shared a birthday, hardly one goes by I don't remember Annette. My mom born and raised in LA recalls seeing her sing on a park bandstand as a little girl before she was famous. The thing about those beach movies, it did happen. I believe that. Maybe not just like the movies, but we have been blessed with some recollections by people who were there and wrote the soundtrack who say it was. Or a version of it. We also have pictures and film. At the end of the post-war boom the sun shone through the shadow of the Cold War and for a brief time California was golden, JFK was president, we were blasting off into space, and in those halcyon days of unbridled optimism everything seemed possible. For me, that image and the wistful feeling of nostalgia for a time I was born just a little too late for continues to be part of what makes surf music so compelling.

The time you fantasize about was two years prior to that June 1965 photo. By June 1965 JFK was nearly 2 years gone and discussions about details of the assassination remained prominent. Khrushchev and then Brezhnev were threatening. The Vietnam war was raging and I had to register for the military draft. The Beatles dominated pop music except for the Rolling Stones "Satisfaction" playing continuously on the radio. Surf Music had long been displaced from the spotlight. However, please do enjoy your fantasies about the time, they are more pleasant than the realities of June 1965.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020 13:14:30

I love those old American International beach movies and watch them on a regular basis. There really was something appealing about Annette. She was very sexy, but in a kind of innocent girl-next-door way (boy, do I wish she was the girl next door).

My father was in the service and at that time we were living half a world away in Spain, but I was, and still am, mesmerized by the SoCal beachbum lifestyle as portrayed not only in those movies, but the Gidget movies and TV show. I was also big into drag racing and hot rods and built car models. I was also big into Ed "Big Daddy" Roth custom cars.

It was only natural for me to fall in love with surf and hot rod music.

All - Feel like we all took different stuff away from that period. I'll be honest, as cheesy as they were, without Frankie and Annette I might not be playing surf today.

Squid - Yes the photo is after JFK assassination, but it wasn't meant to lock in on a date; it was just a remembrance of time growing up, finding out that there was a beach, cool twangy guitars and a bunch of dudes and chicks shindig-ing on a beach somewhere. (so I painted my room ocean blue and green, much to the dismay of my 'rents) Cool

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

It took Annette a while to get out of the Disney influence and shadow.
She always called Walt "Mr. Disney". I've heard that old Uncle Walt asked Annette not to wear a bikini or show her navel in the beach movies. I guess in Disneyland, women don't propagate the human race by the usual methods. Maybe an animation artist draws a baby or something.

There was a scene in her last movie - Back to the Beach (with Dick Dale and Stevie Ray Vaughn playing "Pipeline") - where some stud is trying to seduce her. She responds in kind by saying (paraphrasing) "Why not take me out; spend lots of money on me; get me real drunk; and then take me up to your apartment."
I had to think old Walt got the polite middle finger from Annette with that.
Be that as it may - I liked the Skippy peanut butter commercials.
Oh yeah.. she was a good looking woman, too.

J Mo'

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020 09:16:31

JohnnyMosrite wrote:

It took Annette a while to get out of the Disney influence and shadow.
She always called Walt "Mr. Disney". I've heard that old Uncle Walt asked Annette not to wear a bikini or show her navel in the beach movies. I guess in Disneyland, women don't propagate the human race by the usual methods. Maybe an animation artist draws a baby or something.

There was a scene in her last movie - Back to the Beach (with Dick Dale and Stevie Ray Vaughn playing "Pipeline") - where some stud is trying to seduce her. She responds in kind by saying (paraphrasing) "Why not take me out; spend lots of money on me; get me real drunk; and then take me up to your apartment."
I had to think old Walt got the polite middle finger from Annette with that.
Be that as it may - I liked the Skippy peanut butter commercials.
Oh yeah.. she was a good looking woman, too.

J Mo'

I love the movie Back to the Beach- the Pipeline cover smoked and Frankie and Annette showed great humor in parodying themselves.

Page 1 of 1