Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Unconventional Rig

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Stop laughing. Sounds better than it looks.

"Here's to the man who drinks dark ale and goes to bed quite mellow. He lives as he ought to live and dies a jolly good fellow"

Sweet! a Music Man in the rare white Pinwhal tolex!

Noting wrong with that, at all. Music Man amps are great.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I have a Music Man 210-HD Sixty-Five and I think it's a really nice amp. The tremolo is one of a kind. When you turn it up past 5 it sort of doubles up and becomes this really weird watery sounding thing. The reverb is nice and wet, too. The distortion ain't nothin' to get excited about, though.

Redfeather wrote:

I have a Music Man 210-HD Sixty-Five and I think it's a really nice amp. The tremolo is one of a kind. When you turn it up past 5 it sort of doubles up and becomes this really weird watery sounding thing. The reverb is nice and wet, too. The distortion ain't nothin' to get excited about, though.
Mine is the RD 210 one hundred watt. Not much chance of turning it up in a senior gated community but you're right about distortion ain't nothin' I found mine on c/l a week after I bought my timid little 5 watt Epi valve jr. Sigh

"Here's to the man who drinks dark ale and goes to bed quite mellow. He lives as he ought to live and dies a jolly good fellow"

Count me in as another MusicMan user .. I have had a 2-12 130 combo for 30 years and recently got the head version , the HD 130 Reverb
http://www.vintageguitar.com/12887/music-man-hd-130-reverb/
I use a giant fender bandmaster cab with the head and it and the combo both have Eminance Swamp Thang speakers . the on board reverb is really good
and not really like fender onboard reverb ..not sure how to describe it but its splashier than most fender on board . . As mentioned the trem is normal fender optic sound from 1-5 intensity but over that a second pulse is added and it gets rotovibey . I always use a reverb tank in front of the amps and that gives it a nice preamping . I dont mind the solid state preamp its kind of neutral rather than offensive or fake sounding and most of my tone shaping is from the tanks and or clean boost pedal I use . and these amps take pedals very well ; I used to play punk rock with a rat pedal on the combo ( Joan Jett uses MM combos for her whole career ).
And of course they have a whopping 4xEL34 (or 6CA7) power section making well over 100 watts of clean power ..the punch is incredible .

Last edited: Jun 05, 2020 22:35:49

ArabSpringReverb wrote:

Count me in as another MusicMan user .. I have had a 2-12 130 combo for 30 years and recently got the head version , the HD 130 Reverb
http://www.vintageguitar.com/12887/music-man-hd-130-reverb/
I use a giant fender bandmaster cab with the head and it and the combo both have Eminance Swamp Thang speakers . the on board reverb is really good
and not really like fender onboard reverb ..not sure how to describe it but its splashier than most fender on board . . As mentioned the trem is normal fender optic sound from 1-5 intensity but over that a second pulse is added and it gets rotovibey . I always use a reverb tank in front of the amps and that gives it a nice preamping . I dont mind the solid state preamp its kind of neutral rather than offensive or fake sounding and most of my tone shaping is from the tanks and or clean boost pedal I use . and these amps take pedals very well ; I used to play punk rock with a rat pedal on the combo ( Joan Jett uses MM combos for her whole career ).
And of course they have a whopping 4xEL34 (or 6CA7) power section making well over 100 watts of clean power ..the punch is incredible .

That’s an impressive amp. I read the article and agree with their assessment. It’s a step beyond a Twin, and that’s saying something. The hybrid nature of these amps has never bothered me. The sound fine and are tough as nails. I’d love to know more about how the reverb sounds.

I always wanted one, but never got around to it.

Synchro , check this amp out ..if the tech stuff bores you , forward to when he delivers and demonstrates the amp , the phaser is outta this world . I always wondered why anyone would want one in an amp and now I know why .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuWqFCvcJM

Last edited: Jun 06, 2020 00:05:34

ArabSpringReverb wrote:

Synchro , check this amp out ..if the tech stuff bores you , forward to when he delivers and demonstrates the amp , the phaser is outta this world . I always wondered why anyone would want one in an amp and now I know why .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuWqFCvcJM

That was interesting. I learned a bit and was surprised by how they fed the cathodes of the power section, instead of the grids.

The amp sounded great, absolutely top drawer sound. That phase shifter may be the best I’ve ever heard. I’m still a bit in the dark about what happens when you pull the Speed knob. I would imagine that amp would Surf with the best of them

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020 07:51:04

Another Music Man here:

I have been using this RD100 with an open 2x10 cabinet in the rehearsal room and for recording for about a year now. It belongs to our drummer, who got it when his former band split up all things they bought from band money. Reverb doesn't really work, probably a faulty pan, but other than that it's fine. Our bass player has a HD200, so we could go for a full Music Man backline, but I prefer to have 12 inch speakers on stage (or 15 inch if I don't have to lug them around myself. Wink )

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Fender/Sunn Model T Reissue. From the 1990's.
The scourge of live sound engineers because it's extremely loud.

The clean channel on these amps is very mid-focused, almost sounds more like a Marshall, so I had its tone section modified by a local tech to make it more Fender-like.

I built the cabinet out of hardwood, it has a semi-open back, and it's loaded with a pair of WGS g12c/s 75 watt speakers.

https://the-birdcage.bandcamp.com/

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:44:37

JonnyAngle wrote:

That's a crazy headstock!

Premiere Single Out Now! - Keep On Running
Psychic Chime - Instagram
Psychic Chime - Twitter
Professional Website (film-scoring)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2