Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Baritone Guitars

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

I can see how that extra 3” would change the character of the sound.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

What tuning do you use with the 27" scale?

On my baritone I have a thru body hardtail bridge so it has a stiffer feel than the BassIV with it's vibrato assembly. With this bridge I can also use standard guitar strings(066-016) because I don't the have excessive distance behind the bridge.
I also don't use a super drippy reverb sound.

TarantinosNYC
TarantinosNYC FB page
The WrayCyclers FB page
Rockaway Beach Surf Music Festival

Reverb17 wrote:

On my baritone I have a thru body hardtail bridge so it has a stiffer feel than the BassIV with it's vibrato assembly. With this bridge I can also use standard guitar strings(066-016) because I don't the have excessive distance behind the bridge.

The best reverb sound I ever heard from a bass/baritone was David Gates’ Bass VI sound on Jack Nietze’s The Lonely Surfer album.

Reverb17 wrote:

mine is B-b, light gauge strings. .015 top, .64 or something bottom. nickel wound. it's a Stratocaster with the vibrato blocked with wood.

with the bass vi as A-a tuned baritone, I used an even tension custom set from Kalium before those seem to have gone away.

found a squier hardtail jazzmaster for dirt cheap locally. that'll be the new baritone. I love my Strat's actual neck too much to keep the baritone neck on it. but I love baritone too much to not have a baritone.

I even have some original 1960s jazzmaster pickups laying around.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020 20:33:23

What are some things to consider when thinking about a conversion project? I don’t know that I’d buy a baritone outright, but I’d be interested in converting a cheaper guitar with a warmoth neck and upgrading components over time. Is a hard tail pretty standard with these sorts of things or do people keep the floating trem intact?

Premiere Single Out Now! - Keep On Running
Psychic Chime - Instagram
Psychic Chime - Twitter
Professional Website (film-scoring)

I've also been wondering about the pros and cons of a vibrato on a baritone. I've seen photos of them both hardtail and with various vibrato systems, including Bigsbys on converted teles. So is there a reason to go with one versus the other? I would think for spaghetti western type songs, a vibrato would be desirable.

BB_Bunny wrote:

What are some things to consider when thinking about a conversion project? I don’t know that I’d buy a baritone outright, but I’d be interested in converting a cheaper guitar with a warmoth neck and upgrading components over time. Is a hard tail pretty standard with these sorts of things or do people keep the floating trem intact?

the warmoth conversion route is what I should have done, but I am unable to finish a neck where I live. my wallet has love for the squier range, so slapping a neck on a squier isn't a terrible route to take. you'll need to have the frets dressed a little and the nut cut for your strings and setup needs, but the price isn't terrible. all parts also offers conversion necks, and byoguitar as well.

re: vibrato, depends on the sound you want. synchro above mentioned a great baritone sound being the bass VI which has vibrato. I liked being able to use vibrato when my VI Was set up as a baritone. I think a baritone telecaster with a bigsby would be incredible.

with the strat effectively hard tailed but much shorter scale than the bass Vi, i do like the snappy attack i get out of it.

the eastwood side jack baritone would have a vibrato and a surfy shape for the price of a good neck and a squier, however. wonder how those play. lastly, squier has a new baritone telecaster for about $400 I believe it's 27"

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020 16:17:40

edwardsand wrote:

I've also been wondering about the pros and cons of a vibrato on a baritone. I've seen photos of them both hardtail and with various vibrato systems, including Bigsbys on converted teles. So is there a reason to go with one versus the other? I would think for spaghetti western type songs, a vibrato would be desirable.

with the bass vi, i loved the vibrato and had no concerns. however, there just seemed to be dead spots in the range that I'm unsure if it was the strings, scale length tuned A-a, or pickups. some notes had beautiful life, some sounded dead, and it wasn't an issue with the frets or action.

the 30" antigua jazzmaster baritone that came out around 2014 sounded much more lively with the same string gauge and scale as my baritone bass vi setup. it was hard tail.

for spaghetti western the vibrato rules. when i play my hard tail baritone strat, I don't exactly miss the vibrato. I like a more subtle bend of the neck. I'm just a 15 minutes a day hobbyist though.

I agree, a 27” A-A or B-B Tele with a Bigsby would be great.

The first E-E baritone I owned was a Jaguar Baritone Custom, which was a 2 pickup Jag’ with a 28.5” scale and a stop tailpiece. It sounded fantastic, but the 28.5” scale made the low E too floppy and it was all but impossible to play on the low E without going sharp. However, the stop tailpiece and Tune-O-Matic bridge really contributed to a great sound.

I had a US Custom Shop Bass at just never spoke to me, and now I have a Japanese made Bass VI that I love, although I did have to swap to US Custom Shop pickups before I found my desired timbre. It’s an interesting instrument.

The following clips illustrate the charm that the VI holds for me.

Jet Harris (I realize that the visuals do not match the soundtrack.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHyTN5DQT6E

Jack Nitzche’s The Lonely Surfer

David Gates on the VI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-spNkl3So88

Here’s Lonely Surfer by the Ventures. You can clearly hear the trem being used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbY-l-7oChU

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:44:50

Tqi wrote:

Reverb17 wrote:

To me the difference is all about the sound. A Bass IV is bassier.
You can't really play chords with a Bass IV in "E" tuning.
A baritone's thinner strings and 2 unwound strings just makes for a more guitar-like feel and sound.
I also feel that "A" tuning is much easier to transpose then "B" tuning.

So:

Electric 6 - Violin.
Baritone - Viola.
Bass VI - Cello.
Bass - Double Bass.

Have I about got that right? ;)

A 6 string guitar in standard tuning goes almost as low as a cello and almost as high as a viola. A Bass VI goes as low as a double bass and almost as high as a cello. An electric bass in standard tuning is exactly the same as a double bass.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:44:19

Tqi wrote:

synchro wrote:

Tqi wrote:

So:

Electric 6 - Violin.
Baritone - Viola.
Bass VI - Cello.
Bass - Double Bass.

Have I about got that right? ;)

A 6 string guitar in standard tuning goes almost as low as a cello and almost as high as a viola. A Bass VI goes as low as a double bass and almost as high as a cello. An electric bass in standard tuning is exactly the same as a double bass.

I was thinking more in terms of role, rather than a specific comparison of pitch range, but you raise a great point.

I would say that in role, you are pretty close. In an orchestra, the violin frequently carries the melody, although it can also be used for accents.

A guitar in standard tuning is mostly a bass clef instrument. A lot of players that learned to read, didn’t realize that they were actually playing an octave below the written pitch, I know that I didn’t realize this at first and my old Alfred’s book didn’t go to any pains to point this out.

One thing I find interesting about the guitar is that it covers almost exactly the normal range of male and female singing voices. I would venture that most males can cover, roughly, the range of the six open strings of a guitar and most females are about an octave above that. A soprano could hit the 20th fret of the 1st string and an exceptional soprano the 24th fret. Low male voices, such as basso-profundo, can hit the C below the low E of the guitar.

I sometimes think of my VI in terms of a cello, but it can also be a bass. I have Fender CS Jaguar pickups in my Japanese made VI and it actually does pretty well as a bass, when played fingerstyle. It becomes more like a melodic instrument with a pick.

The Bass VI is somewhat a chimera. I have long maintained that it is an electric bass; but that’s no more valid than calling it a baritone guitar. It is capable of filling more than one role. The thing I find very appealing is that it can move between those roles very easily. I used an E-E Jaguar Baritone Custom in a duo, playing the bass part, counter melodies, and even some lead fills in the upper register. That may be the most appealing thing about an instrument like a VI, it can fill several different roles, in real time.

took the baritone neck off the strat and got this for a song. need new twangy baritone friendly pickups and it's perfect for what I needed.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:58:24

affinity series. solid alder! surprisingly good for $160. I had regular old filtertrons in an older baritone and didn't love them. I may consider them again since this is alder and string through vs basswood with vibrato. I'm also looking for cheap. no interest in putting money into this guitar.

Tqi wrote:

Bullet Jazzmaster of some kind?

How about Filtertrons?

cosmonaut wrote:

affinity series. solid alder! surprisingly good for $160. I had regular old filtertrons in an older baritone and didn't love them. I may consider them again since this is alder and string through vs basswood with vibrato. I'm also looking for cheap. no interest in putting money into this guitar.

Tqi wrote:

Bullet Jazzmaster of some kind?

How about Filtertrons?

I wonder how P-90s would be on a baritone.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:58:30

I assume those humbuckers are two wire rather than four wire - otherwise, I'd suggest re-wiring to only have one coil active for each pickup as the cheapest option. Otherwise, find some used four-wire humbuckers or look at the GFS options.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next