Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Waves of Care - live comp recorded at 2018 Surf Guitar 101 Convention

Page 1 of 1

I got the "Waves of Care" CD a few weeks ago, and have been just loving it!! In case you don't know what it is: 27 songs by 15 surf bands, all but three recorded at the 2018 Surf Guitar 101 Convention in Torrance, CA. All the tracks recorded and mixed by the triple-Grammy-winning producer Mark Linett (and the CD co-produced by him and John Blair). This thing sounds AMAZING, especially for a live recording - obviously a thoroughly professional job that puts you right there - or even better! All the instruments are very clear and warm-sounding, it's all just perfect and beautiful!

And look at that list of bands! Frankie & The Pool Boys (San Francisco), Surfer Joe (Italy), Les Agamemnonz (France), The Blue Hawaiians (SoCal), The Tremolo Beer Gut (Denmark), Urban Surf Kings (Canada), King Pelican (Texas), FASCINATING CREATURES OF THE DEEP (San Francisco), Black Flamingos (New Jersey), Insect Surfers (SoCal), Par Avion (SoCal), and more - including The Kaisers of California, a special band formed by three-quarters of the legendary Huntington Cads with Big Papu of Los Kahunas from Argentina, as well as TWO tributes, to the Sentinals (with John Blair on lead guitar) and Paul Johnson (with Marty Tippens and Dave Arnson on lead). This freakin' CD is just CHOCK FULL of excellent surf music, both modern and classic!

Just a few personal highlights: both tracks by The Kaisers of California, the gorgeous, sunny "Another Summer Song" (with Adriàn Castiñeira AKA BIg Papu on lead) and the rockin' "Meltdown" (with Chris Barfield on lead, I believe)! Both tracks by one of my favorite surf bands of the past 12 years, Frankie & the Pool Boys, with my good friend Ferenc Dobronyi on lead - "Teke Teke Teke" and "Ewa on the Beach", both modern surf classics! Surfer Joe's "A Day At the Beach" with Lorenzo Valdambrini on lead and Jonpaul Balak on bass, such a happy tune! Both of the Sentinals tribute tracks, "Latinia" and "Big Surf", absolutely killer, the band completely nailing their sound and feel, including the wailing sax on the latter! Those are just a few of my favorites, but honestly, I love listening through this full CD, there are no weak spots!

Maybe the best thing about this very special CD is that all the proceeds go to MusiCares to help with COVID-19 relief, intended for struggling musicians. You can buy the CD either through John Blair's personal website or through its Bandcamp page:

http://johnblair.us/giftshop.htm
https://johnblair.bandcamp.com/album/waves-of-care

This is a limited edition CD, so get it while you can, you really won't regret it! Wonderful job to all involved, but in particular John Blair and Mark Linett for making it happen! Thank you, gentlemen!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Tonight at 8pm (PST), "Waves of Care" will be featured on Cousin Mary's KFJC show, together with a short interview with yours truly. Tune in to check out some of the tracks on this CD and, if you haven't ordered one yet, PLEASE DO SO. All proceeds will go to the MusiCares COVID-19 fund. See above in this thread for ordering and digital download info.

https://kfjc.org/listen/program-event-info?eventId=3620

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020 12:45:06

Here is the archived show that you can hear or download until 10/3.

https://kfjc.org/archives/2009192000h_cousin_mary_rebroadcast.mp3

Listening now. Thanks for sharing the link.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

I caught the show. Good interview and show. Smile

I thought with the Covid quarantine in effect that more people would have had time to post comments about "Waves of Care." So, bumping this reminder for more responses from the brethren (thanks, Ivan, for starting this out).

Fascinating Creatures of The Deep, Black Flamingos, Blue Hawaiians, Kaisers of Kalifornia, Tremolo Beer Gut, Frankie/Pool Boys, Urban Surf Kings, Surfer Joe, King Pelican, and Les Agamemnonz....all the SG101 2018 bands on this comp...

It would be great to hear from each of you in this thread with your thoughts and comments on the CD as well as the opportunity to have played at the 2018 Convention. FYI, there are only a couple of hundred copies of this CD left. WHEN THEY ARE GONE, they will be G-O-N-E. Remember that ALL PROCEEDS from the sales of this CD and digital downloads are donated to the MusiCares COVID-19 fund. Help your fellow musicians in this great time of need and help get surf music some needed attention within the greater Grammy and music communities by supporting this effort (see Ivan's review, above, for appropriate links).

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Just caught the archive of Cousin Mary's broadcast highlighting the Waves of Care CD. Great interview with JB! So many great tracks and such wonderful musicianship on display. I can't think of a better sampler of the current state of Surf music, both domestic and international. In a word, it rocks!

John wrote:

I thought with the Covid quarantine in effect that more people would have had time to post comments about "Waves of Care." So, bumping this reminder for more responses from the brethren (thanks, Ivan, for starting this out).

Fascinating Creatures of The Deep, Black Flamingos, Blue Hawaiians, Kaisers of Kalifornia, Tremolo Beer Gut, Frankie/Pool Boys, Urban Surf Kings, Surfer Joe, King Pelican, and Les Agamemnonz....all the SG101 2018 bands on this comp...

It would be great to hear from each of you in this thread with your thoughts and comments on the CD as well as the opportunity to have played at the 2018 Convention. FYI, there are only a couple of hundred copies of this CD left. WHEN THEY ARE GONE, they will be G-O-N-E. Remember that ALL PROCEEDS from the sales of this CD and digital downloads are donated to the MusiCares COVID-19 fund. Help your fellow musicians in this great time of need and help get surf music some needed attention within the greater Grammy and music communities by supporting this effort (see Ivan's review, above, for appropriate links).

• In addition to the cause that the comp supports, I feel that it is essential that there be regular releases like this one which serve as a snapshot of the genre - at a certain pointing to a point time and location (even if bands from various countries are present). The podcasts and web-radio shows do a good job of this as well but releases, I feel, are necessary. Good job John.

Par Avion Official
Par Avion Facebook
Par Avion Sample
Said The Ripper Facebook

Last edited: Dec 05, 2020 14:58:02

This is a great Xmas gift idea

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Whole heartedly agree.

Canadian Surf

Take it from Tiki Dude and the Rev...several gift ideas here.

I have books: "The Illustrated Discography of Hot Rod Music" and "Southern California Surf Music: 1960-1966." And I have records and CDs: Jon & The Nightriders "Live at Hollywood's Famous Whisky A Go-Go" (vinyl LP, with download card, and CD w/bonus tracks), "Rumble at Waikiki: the John Blair Anthology," and especially the "Waves of Care" CD (a limited edition compilation of bands that played at the 2018 Surf Guitar 101 Convention, mixed and mastered by Grammy winner Mark Linett).

ALL proceeds from sales of any of these books, LPs, or CDs will go directly to the MusiCares COVID-19 Fund. Buy a book, CD, or LP and help those in the music industry struggling to make ends meet. Sorry, the fiesta red bookends are not for sale.

You will note that my surf music discography is not shown. The 4th edition sold out a few weeks ago. To purchase any of these items, go to www.johnblair.us/giftshop.htm (if you want multiple items, please contact me through the website, or a PM here at SG101, for shipping charges). The time to order any of these items is NOW to avoid 1) excessive delivery delays due to the Xmas mailing overload this year, or 2) being lost in the mail due to the Xmas mailing overload this year.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Last edited: Dec 06, 2020 11:34:56

Hi John,

This link doesn’t work. www.johnblair.us/giftship.htm

The one in your signature does.

Rev

Canadian Surf

Sorry...corrected.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

I certainly would like to mention that we members of the Royal Aces band in Denver were knocked out by this CD - full, strong sound, excellent bands and a good capture of the live atmosphere. A CD to play over and over...

Time is quickly running out to have any of the two books, record, or three CDs arrive by Christmas. Especially the "Waves of Care" CD. By the first of the week, it will likely be too late. Order now, today, if you have your heart set on giving any of these for Christmas gifts.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Page 1 of 1