Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Help working out a drum part

Page 1 of 1

I'm working on a new song and I am seeking some opinions on a drum part.

What do you think of the half-time drums that come in at the climax of the linked song (about 1:35)? Distinctly not surf but I think the change adds to the "size" of the song and it coincides with a key change to relative major.

It's just a rough mix, so no promises on fidelity!

Link with lousy title.

Neptune Trojans

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020 21:50:39

Interesting question!

First of all, I like the song and the overal sound, and it's good that there is a change in the song at this moment, but I'm not too keen on the half time thing. To me that sounds a little bit too much like stadium rock, a litte cheesy maybe.

I (with my very narrow taste and limited experience) would either go back to the surf beat and built up tension with some more rolls or continue with the toms and get a bit more busy with them.

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Simon, I appreciate your input (and tact!). It's an idea I have kicked around myself. Just for reference, I did a quick edit. Is that more like what you're thinking, at least in terms of the surf beat?

Neptune Trojans

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020 09:05:36

Actually I like the drums in the finish. It gives a feeling of 'uncertainty' to the ending.
But it doesn't follow the normal surf drum pattern.
But a lot of modern surf music falls outside the mold these days.
JMO YMMV

Hey, Brent! Cool tune you have cooking there! I remember that I owe you, so here’s a couple of ideas that may support the feel you seek:
Try a straight “4-on-the-floor” kick drum pattern throughout, in place of the 1&3. And keep it thumping during the muted guitar-only part.
Build those muted sections with a building volume straight eighth note ride pattern, - on your floor tom. Add the accents simultaneously with the high tom.
Maybe replace the eighth note high hat with either a drier (“clicky” jazz ride, or perhaps one with a bit of a “ping”.
You may find these elements add a bit of “drive” to your drums, - for better or maybe for worse! But have fun experimenting.
- Dick B.

*Dick B.
The Aquatudes
http://www.aquatudes.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Aquatudes/107419619521

Thanks, Joelman!

And Dick, thanks too. You don't owe me anything. Cheers But I might try some of those ideas and I might adjust the mix for something more "trad." We'll see how that goes.

Neptune Trojans

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020 17:33:30

I liked it. Yes, there’s a Stadium Rock vibe, but IMO, it works. I was wishing I had a lighter to hold up in the air. Smile

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020 21:09:30

Is that capital D a sign you don't like the change? Ha!

Right now I'm kind of working with some of Dick's suggestions regarding ride vs hats, but keeping the stadium rock. I wonder if adding that second eighth on the two (like a half-time surf beat) would work. Next time I get a chance I'll see how it goes.

Neptune Trojans

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020 20:58:19

BrentD wrote:

Is that capital D a sign you don't like the change? Ha!

Right now I'm kind of working with some of Dick's suggestions regarding ride vs hats, but keeping the stadium rock. I wonder if adding that second eighth on the two (like a half-time surf beat) would work. Next time I get a chance I'll see how it goes.

No, but it is a sign.

A couple of updates back, my iPad started to place a capital letter anyplace that I went back end edited a line of text. In this case, I wanted to change “like” to “liked”. So it’s a sign that Apple is using less talented programmers than they used to.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Page 1 of 1