Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Thoughts, memories, and comments (any year) bout the SG101 conventions, /add your recollections

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Since the pandemic has cancelled this years convention,
I have been looking back and remembering bands that have played, the different places it’s been at. And how it came to be.

please see this locked thread on the topic:
https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/4735/

here is the thread about the 1st convention
https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/5307/?page=1

here is a thank you post I did on FB.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020 22:32:09

Rereading the now-locked thread about the first convention was really fun! Wow, 12 freakin' years ago! It seems like two! So much has happened since then, though...

If you all don't mind this self-indulgence Big Grin I thought I'd just point out that the short Madeira SoCal tour played a key role in the organizing of the original convention! Very Happy That just makes me very happy to think about. Cheers Here are a few choice quotes from early '08:

Brian Neal wrote: "We can't please everyone. Sorry. The Madeira coming to SoCal seems like a "big thing" that would perhaps normally attract out-of-towners anyway. That's why I keep harping on that."

Jeff BTD wrote: "ok. Say we do it the weekend of when the Madeira and Aquasonics are here. Say we do the meet and greet and jam, and itty bitty sg101 convention on Saturday. I need to know where the Madeira and Aquasonincs are playing on Fri. and Sat. nite. to ensure that this will go down ok. If they or 1 of those bands are in San Diego one of those nights it might make plans for the Sat. day thing kinda hard. so I need a PM or email from Chris and Ivan with tentative schedules for their tour out here."

Jeff BTD wrote: "AND a ton of people said they would want the event to be when the Madeira is here. So I'm just doing what was asked."

Kiss SG101!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I remember walking into Suzy's during the "swap meet" portion of the first SG101 Convention, and being greeted by Paul Johnson at his merch table, and then being greeted by John Blair at his merch table. Later, after a few informational presentations, the music began with a drum off between Dusty Watson and Jeff Utterback. Definitely an auspicious beginning to a great SG101 Convention tradition!

I remember playing in the very first member jam with Ivan, Ran, Jeff Utterback, DP and Bigtikidude himself. (Is that right Jeff?) I felt very privileged to be up there and cavorting with such talented people.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

This interview with The Madeira and SoCal Surf Pal Warren Binder (AKA Captain Springfield) was recorded in the parking lot of Suzy's at the first convention.

https://surfguitar101.com/podcast/3/

Danny Snyder

_

getting to play with paul johnson. i was so nervous. we played apache.

www.surfintheeye.com

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020 22:05:06

So cool Carol

Jeff(bigtikidude)

What can I say? This event made me travel for the first time to the US in 2013 ... I missed the first editions but I've been able to come back several times ... the shows around the SG101Con are a big deal also ... one of those shows was my very first 100% real Surf Music experience (in Mexico I don't consider there is a proper understanding of the genre) ... It was on a Thursday ... since I don't know how to drive a car I took the OCTA bus to Long Beach and then walked to the venue ... Di Piazza's ... and outside of the venue I see The El Caminos and The Dynotones bringing the gear in ... and Tim Fitzpatrick with his drum sticks ... I was so stoked! ... will always remember how gentle and cool people were at Starting Gate saying hi and asking if I was on my own ... Thanks to Jeff and all the people involved helping in some way ... in 2021 all members need to be there! We cannot say anymore "next year" ... catch a wave!

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020 07:49:21

Thank you Emilio,
I wish more would come up from Mexico,
But I know it’s hard for many people.
you and Patricio, and your other buddy(forgot his name)
Made the effort, and it means a lot.
Thank you for all your help with gear over the years.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020 22:39:00

I have only been to the 2018 SG101 Convention. It was such an amazing time for me and the band (and my first time in California). So nice to meet so many people I only knew on-line. Everyone was as welcoming as can be, and made us feel right at home. Jeff and all those helping out were so professional, taking care of so many things, making it easy for a band from Canada to show up and play. Aside from meeting so many SG101ers in person, the number of really great bands I got to enjoy was phenomenal (Tremolo Beer Gut 4 times!). I had planned at going to this year's festival (plane tix were booked), but alas that damn Covid got in the way. Hopefully next year!

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020 08:56:38

AND...two of the Rev's tunes from the 2018 Convention are on the new "Waves of Care" CD. Refer to the "Waves of Care" thread for ordering or downloading details. The USK tracks are very good and add a lot to the variety of music on this CD. All proceeds also go to MusiCares COVID-19 Relief, so it's a great charity, very timely, and a great-sounding CD. Don't be one of those who finds out about this CD a year from now, after it's completely sold out.
If you haven't donated to the cause yet, now's a good time.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

One of my fondest memories was being asked by BTD a few conventions back to give Paul Johnson a lift from the HB Pier to Don The Beachcomber's after the Pier show. That walk to the car and drive were dreams come true. Such a kind and friendly gentleman, even if he didn't know at that point when Volcanic Action was going to be again available :) (got it when it was a Record Store Day reissue though). Stand up, stand up for PJ!

Rick

Hey Rick, hope yer doing well.
Hope to see you next year.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

This is just the best ever!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Fun times indeed.
IIRC Norman, Jonpaul, you (Danny) and I played "Mar Gaya" at that first member jam. But my memory might be deceiving me.

Ran

DannySnyder wrote:

I remember playing in the very first member jam with Ivan, Ran, Jeff Utterback, DP and Bigtikidude himself. (Is that right Jeff?) I felt very privileged to be up there and cavorting with such talented people.

The Scimitars

I know I did Taco Wagon with Ivan, not sure who else was on that with us.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude wrote:

I know I did Taco Wagon with Ivan, not sure who else was on that with us.

Jeff U. and I, I think.

Danny Snyder

_

Danny, coolio

Jeff(bigtikidude)

From the first convention

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020 14:34:28

I will simply say that I will always be thankful to be asked to participate in the 2016 convention.
It was a goal and a wish that was granted by Jeff and an experience I/we'll never forget.
It was almost overwhelming to meet and see so many of the people and players that have built, supported and continue to support this genre.
Amazing times and memories!

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Goto Page: 1 2 Next