Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Best pedal board patch cables

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Hey all,
Need suggestions for linking my pedals with 3-4 short (3-4") patch cables. Need something that doesn't drop quality of sound.
Thanks!

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

George L
There are no others

All about opinions and experiences to be sure...I had good and bad experiences with George L and the bad was very bad ie problems right before or even in the middle of a gig.

Right now I'm using the EBS flat cable/flat plug short patches with success on two different pedalboards. I also bought a couple of Mogami short patches to try based on their stellar reputation but a full complement of Mogami cables might cost more than the effects themselves. ;)

SHADOWNIGHT5150 wrote:

George L
There are no others

Agree. Have been using George L's for 20 years now without issue. Only concern is for pedalboards where you want to get pedals really close together; for those I've found the Warwick Rockboard Angled patch cables work great, but they are fixed length.
I really love the ability to change the length of my George L's when needed with scissors, and on the straight 1/4" a screwdriver..

'65 Fender Tremolux, '74 Princeton; '80 Princeton Reverb
Dr. Z MAZ 18 Jr. + 1x12 Cab
Various Telecasters and noise-making pedals
Farfisa Compact Duo

Last edited: Aug 03, 2020 14:51:44

Hey ArtS,

There are so many high-quality products to choose from these days--it can be overwhelming.

Why not make it simple, feel satisfied and support a company that supports Surf?

https://www.rattlesnakecables.com/ have been extremely supportive of the scene, the Surf Guitar 101 Convention and make an exceptional product!

It's a win-win situation--you get to have a fantastic product and help support an independent business instead of some big anonymous company!

I have used their patch cables exclusively on tour the last couple of times and can personally testify that they are a robust, well-made and very high quality product in every way!

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

I also use Rattlesnake cables, including pedal board pitch cables.

I don’t tour, but before covid we had a string of shows and rehearsals and never had a single issue.

Super high quality cables that look great and perform even better, super fast delivery, and great customer service. Plus, as JP said, he supports the scene.

Thanks SG101 Braintrust!!!!
Sold, will order today!
Glad to get high quality + SG101 supporter.

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

i do like george l, but when gigging heavily i kept having to rebuild my patch cables.

I make patch cables now from square plug pancake style connectors and thin 24 gauge Van Damme cable (diff colors for effects paths). Parts run about $8 to $9 per patch cable if you're handy with a soldering iron.

I just don't trust myself with solderless cables.

I’ve been using Rockboard pancake cables of late, quite successfully. I have a bunch of George L’s and occasionally use them when I need something of a custom length, but I have had to re-terminate them on occasion and that’s about the last thing I would care to do while an audience is patiently waiting.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I like these, but they don't work in every situation.

taijiguy wrote:

I wish that they did. Back when a pedalboard might well mean a bunch of Boss pedals or a bunch of MXR pedals, strung together, such a coupler was the way to go.

I use Temple Audio boards, which have a quick release system which restricts the pedals somewhat because the mounting pads have to align with perforations in the board. It’s a great system, and I highly recommend it, but there is a minor cost in flexibility.

taijiguy wrote:

Sorry, but these are the worst possible way to connect your pedals. The direct connection stresses the input/output jacks by putting upward/downward pressure on the adjacent pedal when you step on it. On older pedals, it will just wear out the jack. On newer PCB pedals, it will destroy the pedal. Boss and Ibanez jacks are at different heights, as are everyone else's, so this stresses and can break pedals from the get go.

Get short pancake or the Rockboard connectors and leave a little give in the cable between pedals - and seriously, throw those crank connectors out.

'65 Fender Tremolux, '74 Princeton; '80 Princeton Reverb
Dr. Z MAZ 18 Jr. + 1x12 Cab
Various Telecasters and noise-making pedals
Farfisa Compact Duo

nedorama wrote:

taijiguy wrote:

Sorry, but these are the worst possible way to connect your pedals. The direct connection stresses the input/output jacks by putting upward/downward pressure on the adjacent pedal when you step on it. On older pedals, it will just wear out the jack. On newer PCB pedals, it will destroy the pedal. Boss and Ibanez jacks are at different heights, as are everyone else's, so this stresses and can break pedals from the get go.

Get short pancake or the Rockboard connectors and leave a little give in the cable between pedals - and seriously, throw those crank connectors out.

As I said, they don't work in every situation. In mine, they work quite well.

nedorama wrote:

Sorry, but these are the worst possible way to connect your pedals. The direct connection stresses the input/output jacks by putting upward/downward pressure on the adjacent pedal when you step on it. On older pedals, it will just wear out the jack. On newer PCB pedals, it will destroy the pedal.

Thumbs Up Not only that, but on the majority of casted (as opposed to folded) enclosures, the sides are never 100% parallel, so some stress (gravity or attachment to pedalboard) always exists on the jacks, even when not pressed.
connect enough pedals this way, and you'll have a nice vertical arc Wink

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020 01:05:25

-

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020 15:19:39

I'm done with the DIY kits. While I like the idea of making custom lengths they inevitably become finicky if you change your board configuration around a lot, which I do.
Lately I have been using the MXR pancakes which are affordable and bulletproof. There's also some custom builders on Instagram using very high quality cable and components if you don't mind dropping the cash.

Toneschaser wrote:

I'm done with the DIY kits. While I like the idea of making custom lengths they inevitably become finicky if you change your board configuration around a lot, which I do.
Lately I have been using the MXR pancakes which are affordable and bulletproof. There's also some custom builders on Instagram using very high quality cable and components if you don't mind dropping the cash.

I've had similar experiences. I had a very complete board using George L's cables, all of perfect length, but as soon as one thing changes, you are back to square one. Eventually, I bought some fairly inexpensive pancake cables and used those instead. Even though they were cheap cables, they seemed to be more reliable than the George L's, which I had to re-terminate from time to time (which also means that they kept getting shorter). I have been stockpiling Rockboard's pancake cables of late and find them to be a better quality pancake cable. So far, so good.

Toneschaser wrote:

BTW, I love that board.

Toneschaser wrote:

oh hey, I just made the connection to your username. I follow you on instagram, and, coincidentally, make custom cables. hah. I started when work shut down to keep busy.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020 23:31:54

Cosmo, what's your IG handle?
Syncro, thanks! Tidy little thing.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next