Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Wiring diagram for a ‘63 Reverb / Surfybear Metal footswitch?

Page 1 of 1

I have a Surfybear Metal for which I am trying to make a footswitch. According to Surfybear, it uses the same footswitch as the outboard ‘63 Reverb unit. I have looked and looked and have been unable to find a wiring diagram for a non-LED single button Fender footswitch. Any help appreciated.

Makai

No takers? Will anyone pop the plastic bottom off their 63 Reverb switch and post a gut shot?

Makai

As far as I’m aware it is a straightforward latching switch.

This Should help you.

Los Fantasticos

-

Last edited: Mar 03, 2022 06:06:02

Thank you gentlemen for the responses. I wired it (pic below) but nothing. I swapped the wires many times with no positive result. It was in an enclosure when tested. One thing that was odd was whether the Surfybear Metal was on or off, when I plugged into the footswitch jack on the unit it would switch (to off or on). The switch on the unit still worked like normal, but the external switch I am building does nada. So troubleshooting..

1. Is the wiring correct (same as the internal pic posted by SandBug)?
  2. Is there a grounding issue? Does the plastic jack prevent grounding and would that prevent operation?
  3. Why would the unit switch on/off just by inserting a jack (I use George L cables and it does this even when an unattached jack is inserted)?

Makai

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020 16:20:16

-

Last edited: Mar 03, 2022 06:05:24

Gilette wrote:

Is the switch latching? Some of these are momentary switches, so you have to stand on it all the time to make it work. Are you sure you picked the right lugs on the jack input? Like, really measured it with a multimeter? Otherwise it looks fine.

Yes, it is a latching switch. No, I am not sure I used the correct lugs, however I did change which lugs each wire was connected to multiple times. How would I use a multimeter (I do have one for amp biasing) to determine if I am doing something right or wrong? What am I looking for?

Like I said in my initial post, I brought this inquiry only after doing many hours of research online and finding next to nothing. One thing I looked for but never found was a diagram for which lug does what on the footswitch. I am using an industry standard ‘x-wing’ switch. Again, with all the diy builders out there I was surprised this kind of info is not readily available for those just starting out.

Makai

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020 17:14:57

From your picture it looks like the jack's tip lug is shorted to its ring lug with a jumper. With a TS (mono) plug inserted, the tip and ring are hardwired shorted, which shorts the tip to ground. Try either reversing the jumper to bridge from the ring to the ground lugs, or remove it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020 17:33:11

mike_fried wrote:

From your picture it looks like the jack's tip lug is shorted to its ring lug with a jumper. With a TS (mono) plug inserted, the tip and ring are hardwired shorted, which shorts the tip to ground. Try either reversing the jumper to bridge from the ring to the ground lugs, or remove it.

Thank you for your input. The ring lug is not attached to anything. Tip lug directly to center of switch and sleeve lug to bottom lug of switch.

After your post I physically removed both ring lugs from the jack (the manufacturer’s ts jacks are the same, they just do not insert the ring lugs) and still nothing.

Any idea why the unit switches on/off when the footswitch jack is inserted?

Makai

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020 18:08:18

-

Last edited: Mar 03, 2022 06:04:59

DrakeSequation wrote:

I have a Surfybear Metal for which I am trying to make a footswitch. According to Surfybear, it uses the same footswitch as the outboard ‘63 Reverb unit. I have looked and looked and have been unable to find a wiring diagram for a non-LED single button Fender footswitch. Any help appreciated.

Would it not be easier to message Bjorn for more technical info? AND all in all... it’s cheaper to buy a foot switch than building one.

Please wrote him directly at service@surfyindustries.com and he will be happy to help.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

Hello Makai

Please move the wires for your footswitch like this.
Then it should work
/Björn

A couple of notes:

To use a multimeter to check connections, set it to test for continuity, not sure what the markings on your unit are, but it probably has a volume icon and maybe an arrow pointing to a sort of T symbol. Then just touch the probe to the two lugs you want to test to see if there is electrical continuity - it will beep if there is.

When plugging the footswitch in the jack in the Surfybear, it would turn off the unit because it would be a shorting jack, which allows you to send the signal to your switch if wired properly to let you switch it on and off remotely (but would leave the unit always off if the switch is not on or it's not properly wired).

bjoish wrote:

Hello Makai

Please move the wires for your footswitch like this.
Then it should work
/Björn

Glory glory! This is correct. Works perfectly.

Thank you for the input from all who contributed. This was the very last piece in completing my setup. Pics coming shortly.

Makai

Page 1 of 1